Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Monash Guarantee

pha0015

There seems to be a lot of info on rural students getting in but what about low SES students? Does anyone know anything about that?

1. Does anyone have any info on the no of places reserved for monash guarantee students for med? and the scores that they got? (mso collates only info on normal and rural, if I recall correctly)
According to the transparency data, out of 203 students, less than 5 people got in with atar between 87.5-90, the same goes for 90-92.5 atar bracket. and less than 5% in the 92.5-95 range. that means that there's a max of 18 students who got in, potentially by seas rather than monash guarantee. the min would be around 6 people.
5-15% are between 95-97.5, of which max would include 30 students, min being 10 people, including some monash guarantee people, I'd assume.
Is there any concrete info besides my hazardous guessing here?

2. Also, if you've applied for monash guarantee but you happen to get a high enough combo of mmi, umat and atar to get in as a normal student (for lack of better word), is it through the monash guarantee or as a normal student (so that it frees up more spots for those who don't meet the original requirements)?

3. How are the selections made i.e. if you have a high enough umat and atar then the mmi is the final deciding factor and they don't regard umat and atar anymore at that stage, or is it that the combined umat and atar are high enough to pass a threshold to be potentially eligible to get in, and then once mmi has passed, that's added in to see if you pass the threshold as a whole. This sounds confusing so I'll add a dodgy example (e.g. passing threshold to get into med is 80/100. your umat and atar happen to be converted/weighed so that it's 50/67 thus far, so you're qualified for mmi, as max that you could get 33/33 means that you could potentially get 83/100... I don't know what I'm saying.

4. Is there a lower mmi score for monash guarantee people? I haven't heard of anything but...

5. also is a 175 umat score equivalent to 88th percentile?

6. there's only a limited spots reserved for monash guarantee students but every year all spots are filled. does this mean they take people who got below monash guarantee or give it to normal people?

7. how to know what seas adjusted atar you get?

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Hey Pha0015, I am not too sure about the Monash Guarantee and how it fits into their selection process. It seems that there is no quota like for rural students but you may have a higher chance of receiving an interview.

3. ATAT scores and UMAT are used to determine whether you receive an interview but ATAR, UMAT and interview scores determine whether you get into medicine each with a 33% weighting.

4. Probably not...

You should be able to contact medicine admissions for those other questions...

1234med

I read somewhere on this website (can't remember where) that Monash Guarantee helps with the interview, not obtaining an offer? That doesn't make sense to me though? Why give people an interview (which they wouldn't otherwise have gotten without Monash Guarantee) if there's no chance of an offer? Waste of university's, interviewers' and interviewees' time?
This seems different to EAS at other universities.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I read somewhere on this website (can't remember where) that Monash Guarantee helps with the interview, not obtaining an offer? That doesn't make sense to me though? Why give people an interview (which they wouldn't otherwise have gotten without Monash Guarantee) if there's no chance of an offer? Waste of university's, interviewers' and interviewees' time?

The Monash Guarantee

In particular, “we have reserved some places for Monash guarantee students who would not otherwise have received an offer.” This suggests to me that there is a (small) quota set aside for Monash Guarantee students to fill. MG students who miss out on a regular offer then compete against each other for the reserved MG places.

At least, that’s how I interpret that.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
From the Monash website:
For some courses, a range of criteria [RC] is used for selection in addition to your ATAR, such as an audition or folio. You are guaranteed a place if you are successful in the additional selection criteria. Health courses may also have restrictions due to clinical placements. We have reserved some places for Monash Guarantee students who would not otherwise been offered a place, and have the strongest results across the range of criteria.
Monash Guarantee ATARs
The website lists the Monash Guarantee values for Medicine as 94[RC]/175 ATAR/UMAT.

I actually interpret this as if an applicant meets the ATAR and UMAT MG values, then the place offer will be determined 100% from interview if they otherwise wouldn't have received an interview without the guarantee (i.e. they need an interview performance in the top x% e.g. top 40% of applicants - depending on the interview to place offer ratio). But then, the wording from LMG!'s comment also makes it seem like they could just be considered in their own quota. Seems a bit of a mystery, perhaps A1 or pi can shed some more light.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
From the Monash website:
Monash Guarantee ATARs
The website lists the Monash Guarantee values for Medicine as 94[RC]/175 ATAR/UMAT.

I actually interpret this as if an applicant meets the ATAR and UMAT MG values, then the place offer will be determined 100% from interview if they otherwise wouldn't have received an interview without the guarantee (i.e. they need an interview performance in the top x% e.g. top 40% of applicants - depending on the interview to place offer ratio). But then, the wording from LMG!'s comment also makes it seem like they could just be considered in their own quota. Seems a bit of a mystery, perhaps A1 or pi can shed some more light.

“Reserved some places” is the key for me. That’s another way of saying quota.

1234med

Yes if it's not a quota, as Crow said, what if someone who had Monash Guarantee would have still gotten an interview without Monash Guarantee? Would it still be 100% on the interview?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
“Reserved some places” is the key for me. That’s another way of saying quota.
Yes, I just wonder why they don't explicitly state which health courses they do this for.

ETA: The admissions process for a med school not being 100% transparent? No way! ;)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yes, I just wonder why they don't explicitly state which health courses they do this for.

They explicitly state they DON’T do this for Law or the Scholars high achievers program, so I don’t think they need to explicitly state which health courses as this implies all of them have a MG quota of some size.

ETA: I wonder why not Law? Seems a bit odd to single out a solitary degree.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
They explicitly state they DON’T do this for Law or the Scholars high achievers program, so I don’t think they need to explicitly state which health courses as this implies all of them have a MG quota of some size.

ETA: I wonder why not Law? Seems a bit odd to single out a solitary degree.
They say they don't offer it for the Law Pathway, not Law itself. The Law Pathway is referring to this: Pathways and course transfers
If you identify as an Indigenous Australian, live in a low socio-economic area or have experienced financial disadvantage and achieve an ATAR of 90 or higher, you could still be eligible to pursue your dreams through Pathways to Law. In your first year, you’ll study four Law units along with four Arts, Commerce or Science units. When you pass all Law units with a credit (60 per cent) average, and achieve a credit average overall, you’re guaranteed a place in the second year of the relevant double degree course. If you don’t achieve the credit average, you can still continue with the non-law degree course and receive credit for all the subjects you’ve passed.
I think what it's saying there is that you can't use a lower ATAR to get yourself into the Monash Law Pathway (because the pathway is already lowering the ATAR requirement for someone to eventually end up in Law at Monash). There is a Monash Guarantee for Law itself - it's an ATAR of 94.

Anyhow, that was significantly off-topic on my part! Apologies :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
They say they don't offer it for the Law Pathway, not Law itself. The Law Pathway is referring to this: Pathways and course transfers

I think what it's saying there is that you can't use a lower ATAR to get yourself into the Monash Law Pathway (because the pathway is already lowering the ATAR requirement for someone to eventually end up in Law at Monash). There is a Monash Guarantee for Law itself - it's an ATAR of 94.

Anyhow, that was significantly off-topic on my part! Apologies :D

Ahhh, that makes sense. And given we are in the Monash Guarantee thread, actually not off topic at all!

apk22

Is anyone able to explain the difference between Monash Guarantee, the Dean's Rural List and the SEAS? If you're applying from a rural background do you apply for them all? I'm just confused about how these all work alongside the extended rural cohort

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
Okay so
SEAS: Special entree scheme run on behalf of the VTAC. You will need to submit an application for this on VTAC.

DRL: Certain quota that Monash has for those with a rural background. You will need to apply for this and will get an email if you are eligible from Monash following your VTAC course preferences. Make sure to get your preferences in early as this happens quite early as well.

Monash guarantee: Firstly this is Monash's way of handling SEAS applications. When you submit a SEAS application VTAC, VTAC sends your application to Monash and Monash decides whether you are eligible for Monash Guarantee. With this, it used to be that if you achieve a certain ATAR and UMAT raw score, you would be guaranteed an interview. However, with the UCAT change, it is unclear how it will work. Whichever way they end up using it, it simply means you can get an interview for lower scores if you have a guarantee. You cannot apply for Monash Guarantee directly, it is only done through your VTAC application. However, you can actually receive Monash guarantee without applying for SEAS on VTAC. An example of this is not being eligible for any SEAS categories by VTAC's metric but Monash identifies that by their metric you live in a low SES area and gives you Monash Guarantee.

Extended rural cohort: Separate course listed on VTAC but same as above applies.

apk22

Okay so
SEAS: Special entree scheme run on behalf of the VTAC. You will need to submit an application for this on VTAC.

DRL: Certain quota that Monash has for those with a rural background. You will need to apply for this and will get an email if you are eligible from Monash following your VTAC course preferences. Make sure to get your preferences in early as this happens quite early as well.

Monash guarantee: Firstly this is Monash's way of handling SEAS applications. When you submit a SEAS application VTAC, VTAC sends your application to Monash and Monash decides whether you are eligible for Monash Guarantee. With this, it used to be that if you achieve a certain ATAR and UMAT raw score, you would be guaranteed an interview. However, with the UCAT change, it is unclear how it will work. Whichever way they end up using it, it simply means you can get an interview for lower scores if you have a guarantee. You cannot apply for Monash Guarantee directly, it is only done through your VTAC application. However, you can actually receive Monash guarantee without applying for SEAS on VTAC. An example of this is not being eligible for any SEAS categories by VTAC's metric but Monash identifies that by their metric you live in a low SES area and gives you Monash Guarantee.

Extended rural cohort: Separate course listed on VTAC but same as above applies.
Thank you!!

Adamus

A1 do you have any idea if monash guarantee does anything in terms of the UCAT (or the ATAR) when applying for undergrad med?

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
A1 do you have any idea if monash guarantee does anything in terms of the UCAT (or the ATAR) when applying for undergrad med?

Monash Guarantee used to work in two ways.
1. It increases your selection rank (basically scaled ATAR) by using some sort of calculations to account for your disadvantage. See SEAS Calculator here https://www.monash.edu/study/atar-calculator/seas-calculator
This obviously increased your chance of getting an interview as they consider your selection rank, not raw ATAR.

2. Having Monash guarantee meant that you were guaranteed an interview if you passed a certain UMAT score and ATAR. I can't remember exactly but I believe it was 180/300 for UMAT and 95 ATAR.

Now that we have the UCAT there isn't info on how the second one will work but I am certain the first will still be a part of how Monash Guarantee helps you.