• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Med - Social Media and Other

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
Hey all, congrats on getting an offer for Monash! Or if not, congrats for reading this thread and hopefully you end up at Monash one day ;)

MSO housekeeping
Hopefully you decide to hang around MSO once you're in med school, maybe give back a bit to the next batch when they're inevitably as stressed out as you once might have been ;) Also chuck the MSO Facebook page a like :)

pi's reviews of the course
I might be biased, but I think these are worth reading ;) pi's review of Monash Med units | Med Students Online

Pages and groups
Just got a PM about groups and pages to join and like, so thought I'd make a comprehensive list. I'm not involved in the admin of any of the following, so whether you join or not doesn't affect me at all haha. This is the one group you must join: Monash Med 2022 All messages pertinent to your year level will be posted in that group, so ensure you're keeping up to date by being a member.

These are some other groups you can join at your discretion:
- MUMUS Marketplace (for books, accommodation): MUMUS Marketplace
- MUMUS Common Room (has students from all years): MUMUS Common Room
- MUMUS ThinkTank: MUMUS Think Tank
- Med_Anatomy@Monash: Med Anatomy @ Monash
- Monash On-Campus Medical Students: Monash On-Campus Medical Students
- Monash Medical Graduates and Students (unofficial): Monash Medical Graduates and Students
- Monash StalkerSpace (unofficial group for students from the whole uni): Monash StalkerSpace
- Monash SellYourSpace (unofficial group for buying and selling for the whole uni): Monash SellYourSpace

These are some pages directly related to Monash med you can like at your discretion:
- MUMUS: MUMUS
- MUMUS Presents: The Caduceus Cup (inter-year annual sporting comp): MUMUS Presents: The Caduceus Cup
- MUMUS Community and Wellbeing: MUMUS Community and Wellbeing
- MUMUS Careers: MUMUS Careers
- Monash University Surgical Interest Group (MUSIG): Monash University Surgical Interest Group
- Monash University Paediatric Promotion, Interest & Training Society: Monash University Paediatric Promotion, Interest & Training Society
- Crossing Borders Monash: Crossing Borders Monash
- MUMUS Teddy Bear Hospital: MUMUS Teddy Bear Hospital
- Monash Medical Orchestra: Monash Medical Orchestra
- MUMUS MedChoir: MUMUS MedChoir
- Momentum MUMUS Mentoring Network: Momentum MUMUS Mentoring Network
- WILDFIRE (Monash med rural health club of sorts): WILDFIRE
- Monash University School of Rural Health: Monash University School of Rural Health

These are some other pages related to being a medical student in Vic/Aus you can like at your discretion:
- Medical Student Council of Victoria (MSCV): Medical Student Council of Victoria
- Australian Medical Students' Association (AMSA): Australian Medical Students' Association
- AMSA Mental Health: AMSA Mental Health
- AMSA Global Health: AMSA Global Health
- AMSA Rural Health: AMSA Rural Health
- General Practice Students Network (GPSN): General Practice Students Network
- Australian Medical Association (AMA): Australian Medical Association
- AMA Victoria: AMA Victoria
- Med Students Online (the most important one!): Med Students Online

Bits and bobs
  1. Enroll correctly. If you have any issues with the process, ask a friend doing the same thing or post a question in Monash Med 2022 or get in contact with Monash. Don't leave this to chance, get it done right and on time.
  2. When the time comes, get your Police Check (might be via Fit2Work), Working With Childrens Check, and immunisations done as soon as possible. There are consequences with being late. Not happy consequences either.
  3. Worth getting in touch with some second years and organising a year 1/2 study group (some call it a "VESPA"), will really help you guys with revision throughout the year (and them for their VIA exam). Get involved in the study groups and don't feel shy. MUMUS may organise this but best to get this done by yourself if you can as MUMUS can be pretty slack.
  4. Don't buy any textbooks except Talley and O'Connor (only if you really want to), pdfs should be floating around so ask some second years for the Google Drive link. Once you're settled with lectures and pdf books you like, then buy some hard copies if you really need to.
  5. Buy a steth if you want to, whatever colour your want. Most people will have a Littmann Classic III or Cardiology IV, and best to buy this online from a place like medshop with free engraving. Do not put "Dr" on your engraving - you're not a doctor. You don't really need any other clinical equipment right now. You don't even need the steth in all honesty, but people like to buy one to feel like a med student :p
  6. Don't attend O-week or enrollment day with your family or parents. No one does it and it looks really lame. Don't be that guy/gal.
  7. You don't need to start any pre-reading. If you're awfully keen, maybe look over some of your material from Year 12 Biology, but otherwise enjoy the rest of the break.
  8. Get ready for a fun 5+ years :D Feel free to reply here (my preferred option) or message me on MSO or fb (if you can stalk me!) regarding any more specific questions about the course :)

Last edited:

mrc

Hi Pi
On the My Monash page, ( web Enrolment system) is the Monash Student ID next to the Student name ie the 8 'xxxxxxxx' digits - " Welcome Jo Boggs - xxxxxxxx to the Web Enrolment System" ?

Thanks for your help.

phosphene

Monash MD I
Hi Pi
On the My Monash page, ( web Enrolment system) is the Monash Student ID next to the Student name ie the 8 'xxxxxxxx' digits - " Welcome Jo Boggs - xxxxxxxx to the Web Enrolment System" ?

Thanks for your help.
Hi mrc,
Is that step 2 you're proceeding with?
Also, have you received an offer email with instructions from Monash yet? o: I think the Step 1 link still isn't up?

mrc

Hi phosphene
Just received an email from Monash but had already set up a My Monash account through the VTAC email. On the form to defer it asks for Monash Student ID number, but I cannot find anywhere that explicitly states what mine is - it's just at the top of the My Monash page next to my name.
What step are you up to?

phosphene

Monash MD I
Hi phosphene
Just received an email from Monash but had already set up a My Monash account through the VTAC email. On the form to defer it asks for Monash Student ID number, but I cannot find anywhere that explicitly states what mine is - it's just at the top of the My Monash page next to my name.
What step are you up to?
I just got it too. I'm still befuddled by step 1, I don't think the link is up yet to create your Monash account, so I'm curious as to how you managed to do that?

Sorry, it looks like I can't be of any help to you with deferral.

phosphene

Monash MD I
Hi phosphene
What step are you up to?
Hmm, upon further investigation, is this what you used to set up your My Monash account?
https://account-registration.monash.edu/

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
Student ID is 8 digits long.

phosphene

Monash MD I
Hi Pi,

Just checking,
We don't need to enrol in MED2000 Year 1 and 2 Final grade as a unit do we?
The semester 1 and semester 2 unit that come up automatically are all that's needed?

Thanks! :)

*EDIT: nvm, received an answer in group first. In case anyone else is wondering, MED1011 and MED1022 are the only units you need on your enrolment form.*

Last edited:

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
That's a unit you'll enrol in next year, it's essentially the dreaded VIA exam you'll hear of in coming months :) As someone done with Monash exams, can't say I'm envious of having to sit the VIAs again ;)

phosphene

Monash MD I
That's a unit you'll enrol in next year, it's essentially the dreaded VIA exam you'll hear of in coming months :) As someone done with Monash exams, can't say I'm envious of having to sit the VIAs again ;)
Thanks pi!

I just died looking at the textbook list. As I'm someone who prefers having their textbooks in hard copy, are there multiple copies of most of them you can borrow in the library?

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
Thanks pi!

I just died looking at the textbook list. As I'm someone who prefers having their textbooks in hard copy, are there multiple copies of most of them you can borrow in the library?
Yup heaps of copies of most texts in the library :) Definitely would not be buying any textbook until you like it either as a soft-copy or as a hard-copy from the library. You'll find you probably won't end up buying more than 5-6 books throughout your degree.

phosphene

Monash MD I
Yup heaps of copies of most texts in the library :) Definitely would not be buying any textbook until you like it either as a soft-copy or as a hard-copy from the library. You'll find you probably won't end up buying more than 5-6 books throughout your degree.
Oh and sorry for being annoying but I just thought of one more thing :p
I didn't do Bio in VCE and I'm aware I have to do the online biology bridging course. I assume that it should be sufficient enough to cover me (or else Bio would be a prereq), but do you know of any kids who didn't do Bio, and whether they had a significantly harder time in med because of it? Just want to prepare myself as much as possible hahaha

Thanks again!! :D

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
Oh and sorry for being annoying but I just thought of one more thing :p
I didn't do Bio in VCE and I'm aware I have to do the online biology bridging course. I assume that it should be sufficient enough to cover me (or else Bio would be a prereq), but do you know of any kids who didn't do Bio, and whether they had a significantly harder time in med because of it? Just want to prepare myself as much as possible hahaha

Thanks again!! :D
Non-Bio kids did have a harder time - but that's only relevant for semester 1 of year 1, the rest of the degree is really a level playing field. The bio bridging course is strictly ok, I did a bit when I was bored (even though i did VCE bio) and I think it's difficult to retain big chunks on info via such an online platform. Definitely doesn't compare to spending months on it in class with prac exams etc.

But in the long run - not a big deal. Do the bio bridging, get what you can out of it, but don't panic if you don't feel super comfy with biochem lectures (no one really does except the weirdos!).

Ietlou

don't panic if you don't feel super comfy with biochem lectures (no one really does except the weirdos!).
I liked biochem :((

I'd just like to point out to any first years that this is the most important MUMUS page and you should all feel pressured to join

Welcome to Monash littlies!! Will be lovely to see some of you during orientation, try not to get too excited in the meantime! :D

Does anyone know where i can find my Monash ID number?
Ive completed step one by registering an account but havent received the email with further steps yet

phosphene

Monash MD I
Does anyone know where i can find my Monash ID number?
Ive completed step one by registering an account but havent received the email with further steps yet
You'll have to keep waiting for the email (it might take a while), it will send you the activation token with further steps.

phosphene

Monash MD I
I'd just like to point out to any first years that this is the most important MUMUS page and you should all feel pressured to join

Welcome to Monash littlies!! Will be lovely to see some of you during orientation, try not to get too excited in the meantime! :D
I would love to join Medchoir, but I'm seriously doubtful of my singing ability (there was a reason I always made sure I stood furthest from the microphone in our hs choir) xD

Ietlou

I would love to join Medchoir, but I'm seriously doubtful of my singing ability (there was a reason I always made sure I stood furthest from the microphone in our hs choir) xD
That's ok!! We're very chill about singing ability, none of us are superb either - it's not about whether you can sing, but whether you enjoy singing ;)