Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Social Media and Other

bifo

Do I need to buy my own Lab gown (White coat) and stethoscope in Y1?
Can I do PPD test instead Gamma Interferon Test to screen for TB but still meet immunisation requirements?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Do I need to buy my own Lab gown (White coat) and stethoscope in Y1?
You will need a lab coat for the anatomy labs in Semester 2. You don't *need* a stethoscope, but you'll find nearly everyone has one. The model of choice is the Littmann Classic III, with a smattering of Littmann Cardiology IVs too. The reason people buy one is because it makes them feel like a med student (lol), and also because in Semester 2 they prefer using their own steth for cardiovascular physical examinations (which is fair enough).

Can I do PPD test instead Gamma Interferon Test to screen for TB but still meet immunisation requirements?
In my day I did the Mantoux (PPD) test at the GP clinic on-campus and that was fine. The Faculty might have changed their guidelines since 2012 so best to ask them.

Myst

Feel free to ask me any questions about ANY of that in this thread. :)

Hello. Q. How does a student get the police check and immunization check done ? Will forms we given out on enrollment day ? Or students need to find it online ? Also who do we give the forms to at the end of completion ?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey Pi, Just wanted to ask you if there were any policies/guidlines on the amount of hours students can work throughout a med degree at monash? If not do you have any reccomendations for this?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey Pi, Just wanted to ask you if there were any policies/guidlines on the amount of hours students can work throughout a med degree at monash? If not do you have any reccomendations for this?
No restrictions. Most would struggle to work more than 10 hours a week though.

legend12

Lurker
Hello Pi, I'm due to start med at Monash next month. I've read through your reviews of the med units (honestly the additional year of research intrigues me, hopefully I could touch on more research someday). Just wanna thank you for taking your time to write such comprehensive and concise reviews. Also, do you mind me asking: did you attend/tried to attend most (if not all) lectures during pre-clinical years? Would you say that listening to a recording uploaded afterwards adequately replaces actually attending the lecture itself?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hello Pi, I'm due to start med at Monash next month. I've read through your reviews of the med units (honestly the additional year of research intrigues me, hopefully I could touch on more research someday). Just wanna thank you for taking your time to write such comprehensive and concise reviews.

My pleasure :)

Also, do you mind me asking: did you attend/tried to attend most (if not all) lectures during pre-clinical years? Would you say that listening to a recording uploaded afterwards adequately replaces actually attending the lecture itself?

I didn't attend all lectures. Some I just watched live in the lecture hall, some at home, and some I admittedly didn't watch at home. I suggest you start off my going to all lectures, not only for the social reasons (this is important as cliques are made early in med!), but to get a feel for what type of lectures are worth getting to uni at 8am for. Listening to a lecture at home replaces everything except the social aspect of being in the lecture hall. Our first lecture was packed, out last lectures in second year were probably only three-fifths full. So don't feel bad if you think you'll learn better at home - you're one of many.

legend12

Lurker
My pleasure :)

I didn't attend all lectures. Some I just watched live in the lecture hall, some at home, and some I admittedly didn't watch at home. I suggest you start off my going to all lectures, not only for the social reasons (this is important as cliques are made early in med!), but to get a feel for what type of lectures are worth getting to uni at 8am for. Listening to a lecture at home replaces everything except the social aspect of being in the lecture hall. Our first lecture was packed, out last lectures in second year were probably only three-fifths full. So don't feel bad if you think you'll learn better at home - you're one of many.

Thanks again for the detailed reply. All the best in completing your final year.

Reactions: pi

bifo

Any suggestion for First Aid course and certification which is expected to accomplish by end of Sem 1?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Any suggestion for First Aid course and certification which is expected to accomplish by end of Sem 1?

Worth realising that this is recommended but not compulsory. Back in my day MUMUS organised a discounted First Aid course for first years. Not sure if they still do that, worth pestering them about it on the fb group, about time they did something for their students :p

For the record, we did the HLTAID003 one here First aid courses & certificates | Australian Red Cross

Ietlou

Worth realising that this is recommended but not compulsory. Back in my day MUMUS organised a discounted First Aid course for first years. Not sure if they still do that, worth pestering them about it on the fb group, about time they did something for their students :p

For the record, we did the HLTAID003 one here First aid courses & certificates | Australian Red Cross

They do still run the discounted sessions, or at least they did last year! Almost everyone who doesn't already have first aid qualifications attends the MUMUS one, so you don't need to worry about it until they've organised it for you. While it's not compulsory, for what it's worth, having some basic first aid skills seems to come in handy fairly often (anecdotally) and opens up a few opportunities throughout the year for you (some very basic medic work, volunteering to show high school students some basic first aid).

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Bump! New fb group is here http://www.facebook.com/groups/MonashMD2022/ (I have no association with it and nor am I in it), other pages and groups to consider liking/joining are in the first post :)

Cookie Jas.E dittany

dittany

Ok so I was taking a quick peek at the orientation planner (cos I'm that keen haha), and there are so many sessions for intros to different compulsory classes and stuff. I was just wondering if most people did most/all of the intro sessions? Also, I can't find the date/time by when we have to complete the web enrolment form. Does anyone know when it's due? I don't want to lose my place.

jelli

Ok so I was taking a quick peek at the orientation planner (cos I'm that keen haha), and there are so many sessions for intros to different compulsory classes and stuff. I was just wondering if most people did most/all of the intro sessions? Also, I can't find the date/time by when we have to complete the web enrolment form. Does anyone know when it's due? I don't want to lose my place.
I believe it's not until the 25th (I. E. offer expiry date)

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
The safest bet would be to phone the med faculty.

Also, orientation week is a great time to get free food, join a bunch of clubs that you will never go to again and buy the med jumper that tells the whole world 'you do med'.

Regarding med intro courses, I recommend the non-compulsory one as the speakers are decent and MUMUS med-trivia ( tickets sold out fast) and MUMUS med-cruise.