Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Social Media and Other

Carrot

Monash BMedSci/ MD
I didn't do biology in year 12 and I think the biology bridging course has already passed, so what are my options here? Will it be very difficult if i go in without any background in bio?

jelli

I didn't do biology in year 12 and I think the biology bridging course has already passed, so what are my options here? Will it be very difficult if i go in without any background in bio?
Hi Carrot! You can do the bridging course at any time throughout the year (albeit a lil pricey). I did mine at the start of last year as a year 12 student. Only issue would be that you'll have to do it at the same time as uni- but you're going to have to catch up on the info anyway.

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
The course for my year was online and free. Not sure if it has changed. I’m probably a bad example but I didn’t finish the course and later found it was not essential to understanding the material because they do recap the preliminary stuff albeit at a pretty fast speed.

Carrot

Monash BMedSci/ MD
thanks for all the help so far. I emailed the biology bridging people and they said I could access it on Moodle on the monash website. I've logged into Moodle but now i have no clue where to find it. Any ideas?

Concon

thanks for all the help so far. I emailed the biology bridging people and they said I could access it on Moodle on the monash website. I've logged into Moodle but now i have no clue where to find it. Any ideas?

I found it under the MBBS unit area but couldnt enrol or anything; my moodle doesnt seem to have any info of my enrolments etc, is anyone else the same?

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Hmm,

At the interview was there a sign up sheet for it with an email address? The email was [email protected] last year and she is the coordinator of the course.

Edit 1 cause mobile autocorrect sucks

Edit 2 once again auto correct strikes

Carrot

Monash BMedSci/ MD
Yep, so that's who I had initially emailed and gotten information from. I've emailed her again outlining the problem so I'll get back to you guys on what happens.

edit: ok so she just emailed me "You should be able to access it now", and it just appears on my moodle now. Anyone else having similar problems will have to email her.

Last edited:

Karima

Anyone knows whether there is a research year in Monash Medicine?
If so which year is it?
What the Hons degree really mean?
Please clarify.
Thanks

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Hey Karima,
There is an opportunity to do a research year between 4th and 5th year although it can be completed between 3rd and 4th in the undergraduate course. Around 1/3 of the cohort does it and it is called the 'bachelor of medical science honours'. Hope this helps :)

Karima

Hey Karima,
There is an opportunity to do a research year between 4th and 5th year although it can be completed between 3rd and 4th in the undergraduate course. Around 1/3 of the cohort does it and it is called the 'bachelor of medical science honours'. Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much

And also is it taken an additional year? I mean 6 years instead of 5 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Logic

Thank you so much

And also is it taken an additional year? I mean 6 years instead of 5 years?
I have heard that you can do honours and it will add an extra year on to the degree, so 6 years from 5! Maybe someone from monash can confirm!

L

Logic

Correct! Completing the research program means you'll graduate after 6 years of study with a BMedSci(Hons)/MD
Can anyone do this, like at UNSW it's compulsory and all have to do it? Or is it subject to competition at monash?

A1

Rookie Doc
Can anyone do this, like at UNSW it's compulsory and all have to do it?

The compulsory research year at UNSW isn't for honours. Regular 6-year students get BMedSt+MD, only if you do an extra 6-month study load you get an extra BMed(Hons) degree.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
What does ICL stand for?

Integrated Core Learning is the only teaching method with that acronym I’m familiar with.

ETA: @crow’s explanation makes more sense, though I’ve not heard it referred to as that previously.

Needless to say, it’s really all just fancy-talk for very similar teaching, Australia-wide, from what I’ve gathered!