Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Accommodation Discussion

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a mess with accommodation as it turns out. I had no idea that I would get an interview for Monash med and alas have one. I was just starting my application and it says that applications for 2020-sem 1 have closed. It would be kinda sorta really ideal for me to live on campus as I think making friends with people outside of med would be super important and am really worried that if I stay off campus i'll find it to be less social and more isolating. WHAT DO I DO??? I cannot believe that the applications have already closed for the residential village and urban community... I'm going to be homeless.
Same situation bro - apparently you gotta book on-campus accommodation at least 5-6 months in advance if you don't want to miss out :(

apk22

Same situation bro - apparently you gotta book on-campus accommodation at least 5-6 months in advance if you don't want to miss out :(
How can this even happen? Us poor med students literally have no idea what is going on with our year until we get a uni offer, it is so ridiculous for them to expect us to know whether we will be at Monash/any other uni when we literally have no idea if we will get in until the middle of January... I'm devastated.

CristinaYang

Monash V 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
How can this even happen? Us poor med students literally have no idea what is going on with our year until we get a uni offer, it is so ridiculous for them to expect us to know whether we will be at Monash/any other uni when we literally have no idea if we will get in until the middle of January... I'm devastated.
maybe call up and ask them tomorrow and emphasise the med student situation? I’ve heard that some accomodation facilities (not this one or in Clayton but other ones elsewhere) froth over med students so it can’t hurt to try!

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner

Yep, it's quite an unfortunate situation and the same one I found myself in last year. I didn't even know what sort of ATAR I was getting 6 months in advance let alone an interview and subsequent offer! Unfortunately, the case is that other students do apply early and simply cancel later on.

The university accommodation is unlikely to care about what you study but an option you might want to consider is Mannix College which is admittedly more pricey but is also catered. They often have reserved spots for Medical students and iirc had spots open even as the semester started last year. As CY said they froth over med students because it looks nice on the alumni list :)

apk22

Yes I will definitely give them a call tomorrow. My friend is a president (or something) at one of the buildings this year and said "Call them up and make up a sad story so they'll help you out." I'll give it a shot I guess 😄

Meddie

Yes I will definitely give them a call tomorrow. My friend is a president (or something) at one of the buildings this year and said "Call them up and make up a sad story so they'll help you out." I'll give it a shot I guess 😄

Mannix I heard is nice but when I searched them up it was very pricey! And the only real difference is you get catered(well theres tutoring and parties too but those are minor and u can get elsewhere) Off campus is also an option you can find stuff on gumtree. On campus filled up super fast this year my friend who applied in september (not med) didnt get his first choice of urban community.

stargirl1

Hey guys, for someone who lives in south western suburbs (near Werribee), I don't reckon the commute to Clayton every day via public transport is very practical so I'm looking for off-campus accomodation. Is anyone in my case also looking at Flatmates?
I would love to arrange with other female first year med students! xx

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD

That's unfortunately true but there is the option of getting on campus accommodation for second semester as many new spots do open up.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys, for someone who lives in south western suburbs (near Werribee), I don't reckon the commute to Clayton every day via public transport is very practical so I'm looking for off-campus accomodation. Is anyone in my case also looking at Flatmates?
I would love to arrange with other female first year med students! xx

I would suggest posting this in the fb group that would have been created for you year - far more likely to get some traction.

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
redacted by mod said:
Where are all the interstate Monash people staying at? We only got our offers a couple of weeks ago, and I'm wondering how people are managing to find accommodation.
Hi [redacted], based on my year, interstate students rare roughly split between Mannix, Monash Residential Halls and share housing. Each has their unique benefit and potential downside.

Offers do come out quite late and by this time there may not be many/any places left for Monash Residential Halls. If this occurs there may be the opportunity to share house and then apply for on-campus accommodation in second semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to everyone who succeeded in getting into Monash Med! I'm so excited to get to know you all so I thought I'd make this thread!!!

*this next part is shamelessly copied from last year's thread thanks LMG!*

Thanks to pi, there is a plethora of resources for Monash newbies, so be sure to have a look through the greater Monash thread.

These are a good place to start:
Monash Med - Social Media and Other
pi's review of Monash Med units
MUMUS (Monash Medicine Society) First Year Handover 2019 Guide

And afaik your best tags when asking questions from the more experienced are pi, Icanttypeasd, Lear & jelli

I also just realised we have a facebook page now: Monash Med 2024

p.s. who else is keen for o-week neon night?!?!!
Hi CristinaYang, I know this thread hasn’t been active for a while but I was wondering if you could provide some insights into first year at Monash and life at Mannix College?

CristinaYang

Monash V 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
Hi CristinaYang, I know this thread hasn’t been active for a while but I was wondering if you could provide some insights into first year at Monash and life at Mannix College?
Hi Moonlight! Ofc

1st Year "Insights" 2020

The course is pretty good imo (and would be even better in person) I've quite enjoyed not having to do an undergrad. There is a fair bit of content which you would expect with a medical degree but if you keep on top of things it's pretty decent in terms of difficulty. Monash med faculty decides your timetable so you don't have to worry about choosing subjects or scheduling your classes (like you would have to in other undergrad/non-med courses). Basically the course is structured into different "subjects/topics" but you do them all at once and the semesterly exams contain all of the content from the different "subjects" e.g. anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, etc. Each semester you learn more in each "subject" (it'll make more sense when you're actually doing it but for more info check out Pi's post there are some changes but the content taught is pretty similar). Sem one focus is on biochemistry but sem two is when you get in to anatomy and clinical applications the actual "doctor stuff" imo!

Of what I've experienced of my cohort they're a pretty great bunch and ofc there's too many people for me to know everyone (you'll get to meet some of us too if you choose Monash!). Every semester you get assigned to a tutorial group with whom you'll do either most of/one set of your tutorials with, so you get quite close to them and everyone's friendly so you get the opportunity to make a lot of friends. There are also some social events hosted by the med student society and lots of opportunities to get involved in various clubs and initiatives - so more opportunities to meet people. Most of my first year experience has been decent even on zoom which may be a factor for you to consider as latest on the grapevine says that some of the 1st year course will be online in 2021. Everyone including students, lecturers and tutors have all been approachable and helpful in my experiences.

MANNIX!!!

I absolutely adore Mannix and was devastated that our time there was cut short :( My short lived college experience consisted of making a bunch of great friends and making beloved memories! I would describe it as a supportive, friendly and fun environment and I can't wait to go back this year (touch wood nothing will happen). The food imo is pretty good (but I'm not a very picky eater) they cater for many dietary requirements as well. They usually run a lot of activities/events/parties at college and they're making a grand effort to make sure we get those same great experiences in a covid-friendly 2021. I think mannix feels like a big community but your college experience is what you make of it and I urge you to become as involved as you can!

I know that might be like word vomit but let me know if you have anymore specific questions <3 If not I hope that helped!

denosawr

Hi, I don't know how appropriate this question is in this thread - but does anyone know the chances of receiving financial assistance for on-campus accomodation at Monash?

jelli

Hi, I don't know how appropriate this question is in this thread - but does anyone know the chances of receiving financial assistance for on-campus accomodation at Monash?
Hey! There aren't a lot of opportunities for financial assistance, but there are a few scholarships which might help out :) Here's a link to the scholarships filtered just for accommodation, but there may be other scholarships you qualify for that aren't specifically for accommodation :)