Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: General Entry Discussion

I'm not sure if this has been answered, but I was wondering if the number of years of the Monash course will change as it changes to MD?

I was also wondering, if asked the question, "what do you know about the Monash course?" would we just recite the information on their website and go really in depth or just give a holistic view of the course?

Last question (ahah for now!) to current Monash students, what is your favourite thing about the university and the course? Very keen to go to Monash but really want to know more from the perspective of current students!

Thanks so much to anyone who has taken the time to read and answer my questions, really really appreciate it!

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I'm not sure if this has been answered, but I was wondering if the number of years of the Monash course will change as it changes to MD?

I was also wondering, if asked the question, "what do you know about the Monash course?" would we just recite the information on their website and go really in depth or just give a holistic view of the course?

Last question (ahah for now!) to current Monash students, what is your favourite thing about the university and the course? Very keen to go to Monash but really want to know more from the perspective of current students!

Thanks so much to anyone who has taken the time to read and answer my questions, really really appreciate it!

@life of pi is away for a short while but I am sure he will see this when he comes back and answer all of the above.

However, in the meantime, I can answer the first question - no university in Australia thus far has changed their duration of their degree in changing to an MD except for universities which changed from undergraduate to graduate entry. Given that Monash has both an undergraduate and graduate entry stream, it's highly unlikely that it is going to change their undergraduate cohort to grad entry. The change is little more than cosmetic.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey, current Monash Year 5D MBBS(Hons) student who also did the research BMedSc(Hons) degree :)

So the way the new 'direct entry' (ie. for Year 12 students) program works:
Year 1: Bachelor of Medical Science (Australian Qualifications Framework 7)
Year 2: Bachelor of Medical Science (AQF 7)
Year 3: Bachelor of Medical Science / MD (AQF 7/9) (first clinical year)
Year 4: MD (AQF 9)
Year 5: MD (AQF 9)​

So all in all – still a 5 year degree, graduating with both BMedSc (note: not the same as the research “BMedSc(Hons) that still exists as an optional year) and MD qualifications. Is this “better” than the previous MBBS(Hons) scheme? By AQF: yes. In terms of practicality: not one bit. As above, it's mainly a cosmetic change to follow the trend started by UniMelb a few years back.

But because I'm here, I might as well detail what is being changed from the existing course. Basically, to qualify for MD and AQF 9 status, Monash is introducing online research teaching during Year 3 (alongside existing Year 3 content), and there is a 'scholarly intensive project' for one rotation in Year 5 to replace the current 'elective rotation'. I am unsure if the 'elective rotation' may replace the current 'specialty elective', but I suspect it might do that. So essentially: nothing is removed, only things are gained in this new course structure.

For interest, this is what the 'graduate entry' program looks like:
Year 1: Bachelor Biomedical Science (AQF 7)
Year 2: Bachelor Biomedical Science (AQF 7)
Year 3: Bachelor Biomedical Science (AQF 7)
Year A: Bachelor of Medical Science (AQF 7)
Year B: Bachelor of Medical Science / MD (AQF 7/9)
Year C: MD (AQF 9)
Year D: MD (AQF 9)​

So those graduate with BBiomedSc, BMedSc and MD in 7 years.

I can’t give advice regarding what you should and should not say in the interview, because I’m involved in the process and have a contract, but I’d advise you to look closely at their website to see if that particular question is something that fits within their desired values graduates should have as to determine the likelihood of it being asked :) Think about how much time you’ll have for any question, and that will guide you to the depth of your response.

My favourite thing about Monash is hard to pin down! I’d say three things stand out to me:
  1. I love the freedom I have to learn how I want and what I want. Despite having a highly structured course, there is a surprisingly large amount of room for students to explore their own areas of interest. Medicine, as with any discipline, has an endless amount of knowledge and I’ve really enjoyed dipping my toes into some of those depths. Monash heavily encourages research, especially the research year I did this year, and I’ve really grown to appreciate that.
  2. I love the cohort, despite being extremely strong academically (if ATARs and UMAT are anything to go by – and I believe they are to an extent), they’re also a very fun bunch that loves to party and have a good time in and out of the classroom. This is even more-so during pre-clin where Clayton becomes a mini-city in itself for everyone at Monash, simply because it’s just a tad too far (~30mins) from the CBD for weekday drinks and such. Monash cohorts have also traditionally been great believers in "inter-year" study groups (eg. Year 4C students volunteering to tutor Year 3B students weekly), and having been involved in tutoring a bunch of students (grew to nearly 60 this year!) it's an amazing opportunity and a great way to foster relationships between cohorts.
  3. I love the staff, never encountered a doctor or tutor who was “mean” or bullied me, everyone has been really friendly and supportive. The students reciprocate that, recently you may have come across this change.org campaign that *actually did something* for one of our tutors and their young family (The Minister of the Immigration and Border Protection : Please don’t send Banik family away from their home just because Arko has mild autism…); it’s really a great atmosphere.

Jaydolan

Lurker
Hey guys,
I know that for universities in Queensland they give you bonus points for things like doing Physics or a university level course in High School. Does anyone know if they do this at Monash as I am looking to apply there? I couldn’t find it on their website but I may have missed it.

A1

Rookie Doc
I know that for universities in Queensland they give you bonus points for things like doing Physics or a university level course in High School. Does anyone know if they do this at Monash as I am looking to apply there? I couldn’t find it on their website but I may have missed it.

Subject bonus points are given only to non-med applicants. UQ is the *only* med school that does

"You may receive up to five bonus points towards your entry rank. Points are allocated on the following basis:
  • Two points for passing an approved language other than English.
  • Two points for passing Queensland Senior Mathematics C (or equivalent as determined by UQ).
  • One point for successfully completing a university-level enrichment course concurrently with your senior program (e.g. the Enhanced Studies Program)."

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Just a quick reminder that on Sunday is the Monash Open Day! Great chance to speak to some lovely pre-clin med students about their experiences in the new MD program :)

H2.

For Victorian students Monash invites have finished, at least that's what I was told on the phone. They were all sent on Monday. There must have been some mixup/confusion on their end when they previously send they weren't all sent out.

For Victorian students Monash invites have finished, at least that's what I was told on the phone. They were all sent on Monday. There must have been some mixup/confusion on their end when they previously send they weren't all sent out.
Sorry to ask but who was this confirmed by?

H2.

Sorry to ask but who was this confirmed by?
Woman who works at Monash, I don't know her credentials, but she sounded pretty confident that they were all sent on Monday.

Did I stuff up my chances of getting interviews at any Universities by not having my preferences in the order they send out interviews?

L

Logic

Did I stuff up my chances of getting interviews at any Universities by not having my preferences in the order they send out interviews?
Your preferences don’t affect your chances of interviews. The universities simply send those out based on who qualifies.

Woman who works at Monash, I don't know her credentials, but she sounded pretty confident that they were all sent on Monday.
The initial first round of invites were sent out on Monday, but if people decline or don't schedule their interview, more invites will be sent out. I emailed them, and they said this "round" closes at 5pm on the 24th of December :)

Reactions: H2.
The initial first round of invites were sent out on Monday, but if people decline or don't schedule their interview, more invites will be sent out. I emailed them, and they said this "round" closes at 5pm on the 24th of December :)
Do you mean round of invites? As in no more vic students can receive any after the 24th?

MMgg

Lurker

That wasn’t true. The invites are being sent out over the whole week.

phuong

Hi everyone,
Can anyone confirm if they have applied to Monash via DRL as an interstate applicant if they have received any interview invites yet ?