Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Moral Dilemmas: Questions and Advice Requests

I am so hopelessly empathetic, but I do not regret (up until now). I thought of what I would feel in his position, plus considering the deep guilt he showed, so I decided to keep this matter from the teacher and leave the decision solely to him. I have, however, suggested that it is a good idea to reveal his misconduct to the teacher after HSC, but it would be up to him (tbh it sounds like a worse act to only reveal it then, but marks do make people go miserable; I probably would do that if I was him).

I know I’m not making the right decision, and I admit that I’m not competent enough to be a doctor and hold its ethics. I will definitely learn from this experience, and surely will he.

What really makes me feel the worst throughout our chat was the last lines he gave, summing up the meaning:
’any excuse I make right now is irrelevant and useless, as I have really made the wrong decision and didn’t consider the consequences. I’m feeling extremely ashamed.‘

Thats the end of the discussion (hopefully), and guys, DO NOT show your essay to anyone!

Your whole (unfortunate) situation has brought an interesting thought to mind. Throughout high school it was pretty common for my friend group to share our work with each other (we were a bunch of nerds). Whether it was just notes to help each other out or actual assignments that we wanted someone else to proof read for us. We trusted each other a lot, and we luckily never had any issues with plagiarism.

It was only when I started uni this year and did a compulsory academic integrity unit that I found out that some of the sharing we did could have fallen under ‘collusion.’ I don’t know if it’s the same universally, but our uni says to never share work related to individual assignments, or we could get pulled up for collusion. Also, if you are in a testing hall, it is your responsibility to keep your work covered. If someone cheats off you, you will both be penalised.

I found it interesting that I had never heard the term ‘collusion’ mentioned at school. It makes sense, because if they do find duplicate work, it would be hard to fairly evaluate who copied who.

Your whole (unfortunate) situation has brought an interesting thought to mind. Throughout high school it was pretty common for my friend group to share our work with each other (we were a bunch of nerds). Whether it was just notes to help each other out or actual assignments that we wanted someone else to proof read for us. We trusted each other a lot, and we luckily never had any issues with plagiarism.

It was only when I started uni this year and did a compulsory academic integrity unit that I found out that some of the sharing we did could have fallen under ‘collusion.’ I don’t know if it’s the same universally, but our uni says to never share work related to individual assignments, or we could get pulled up for collusion. Also, if you are in a testing hall, it is your responsibility to keep your work covered. If someone cheats off you, you will both be penalised.

I found it interesting that I had never heard the term ‘collusion’ mentioned at school. It makes sense, because if they do find duplicate work, it would be hard to fairly evaluate who copied who.

What you'll find is that even in university, having done those academic integrity units, the awareness of what is cheating is still not absolute.
There are many situations which I and others have been in where we've technically broken the academic integrity rules which were drilled into us within those modules. A common example is formative quizzes where one may thing 'well i'm going to learn anyway and not like this counts to my WAM so it's ok to work with some friends.'

This isn't a call out to individuals who do this, especially when I am absolutely guilty in slipping in terms of this sort of integrity from time to time.

I think one of the best reasoning for not cheating i've ever heard was this professor below. I would highly encourage watching the video. The specific section on us being creatures of habit rather than constant decision-makers is key.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back