Moving between medical schools

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by ACERUMAT_BOT, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ACERUMAT_BOT

ACERUMAT_BOT New Member

Hi. I got into JCU this year which I'm happy about but ideally I'd like to try apply after 1 year to get into some medical school's closer to home (NSW) as I really would prefer to intern in my home state. I didn't apply to any of the NSW uni's last year because of my poor-ish UMAT of 75th percentile, but I'm hoping I can improve my score with the new UCAT hitting next year. I know everyone advises that when you get a medical offer you should take it as you may not get another opportunity and I have done so (am going there at least for this year), but in an ideal world I'd love to study med in NSW and you know; maintain contacts, friendships, etc.. I'm wondering if you know if it is possible to, say - apply as a non-standard to certain uni's after 1st year?

I know JCU's MBBS is very integrated which I'm not sure how'll it affect my GPA, but would it be hard to maintain a 'credit average' which would make me eligible for JMP for example? How would this be calculated? My family lives in Newcastle and being able to study there would just be amazing if the opportunity arose, so I want to know my chances, although slim. At least if I don't get in I still have a med place although it just may be some extra time in Qld before I can move back to NSW.

I know many uni's specifically decline applications from other medical schools (I think UNSW and WSU off the top of my head) as the only process is transfer (which I know is for serious extenuating circumstances which obviously aren't applicable here) and is supposedly extremely difficult, but I would like to ask if you know;
    1. Is it possible (especially with a BMP; although that being said the BMP contract says I can leave freely within 1 year without any consequences)? And if so;
    2. What uni's (Australia wide would be good to feed my curiosity, although NSW would be my main interest) am I eligible for and would I be considered in the same boat as other 1st year uni non-standards?
    Cheers.

Edit for more transparency: am non-rural applicant.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:23 AM
  2. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    There are three types of transfer: internal (not of interest to you), compassionate/special reason and applying as non-standard. You are free to apply as non-standard to JMP. But not so for UNSW & WSU, only by compassionate/special reason
    > MD Transfer Request | Western Sydney University

The other med schools don't accept non-standard applicants btw.

ACERUMAT_BOT and alexlipton like this.
  3. alexlipton

alexlipton JCU MBBS M1

Thanks so much A1! For JMP it says that it requires 'close to a credit average/pass' for GPA hurdle. This doesn't sound too hard to pass but I'm wondering if that would be difficult for a medicine degree as a I know all you have to do is pass the exams? Would bypassing such a GPA be possible with a reasonable amount of effort? Cheers.

4. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

I believe you only need a 4.7 or higher to meet that JMP hurdle - definitely achievable with reasonable effort (some will require more than others) - the scale goes up to 7.0; 4.0 is a pass (the lowest you can be before failing a subject) and 7.0 is straight HDs. The bigger hurdles for JMP are actually UCAT and interview.

ACERUMAT_BOT likes this.