Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Moving Interstate for Med

Hi guys, Sydneysider here- I recieved an offer for University of the Sunshine Coast's B MedSci with provisional entry into Griff Med. I'm looking for advice from other med students who've had to move interstate (or anyone who knows about this stuff really)

What forms of support payments am I eligible for/should i apply for?
Is there anything else I should take into consideration when moving interstate?
I'm only 17 (18 in march)- Will this lead to any issues for my accomodation, study, etc?
I'm currently only about 60 logbook hours into my Ls, and still have 5 months before being able to take the Ps test. Is there any way I can reasonably continue this in QLD, or will I have to try complete my hours when I return to NSW during holiday breaks?
Also a question about the degree itself: On the description, it says the degree is still awaiting AMC accreditation; Should I be worried about this?

I've read about some things, like relocation scholarships from centrelink, but am still generally pretty clueless.

B2

Hey, sorry I wouldn't have the answers to your questions. But would you mind disclosing your ATAR for collation purposes for the cutoffs of this new program? Thank you and Congratulations on your offer !

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi guys, Sydneysider here- I recieved an offer for University of the Sunshine Coast's B MedSci with provisional entry into Griff Med. I'm looking for advice from other med students who've had to move interstate (or anyone who knows about this stuff really)

Since you'll be living away from home you *may* be eligible for Youth Allowance, but it is heavily dependent on your parents' asset/income i.e. if above certain levels the gov expects them to support you. Talk to Centrelink to find out.

I'm only 17 (18 in march)- Will this lead to any issues for my accomodation, study, etc?

No issue for study, for accom you will need your parents/guardian to sign the lease for you (unless you join a shared house and the people there waive that requirement).

Also a question about the degree itself: On the description, it says the degree is still awaiting AMC accreditation; Should I be worried about this?

No need to be worried. After USC BMedSc you will join Griffith presumably at its new SC med school. Griffith has had an accredited school at GC for years it should have no problem getting the SC school accredited.

jelli

I'm currently only about 60 logbook hours into my Ls, and still have 5 months before being able to take the Ps test. Is there any way I can reasonably continue this in QLD, or will I have to try complete my hours when I return to NSW during holiday breaks?
In regards to the driving, unless you know people in the Sunshine Coast (or meet anyone with an open license happy to drive you around) you're options to gain hours are fairly limited to paying for a driving instructor or waiting until you get home. If you have someone to drive with, there shouldn't be any issues doing it in QLD.
If you think that you need to be able to drive for uni, and have clear arguments for this, you should be able to apply for an exemption which will help cut down required hours and/or allow you to take the test early.
Note: public transport in the SC seems to be fairly good so your probably shouldn't stress too much about getting your provisionals (I know I probably won't have mine either)

VickiH

Is there anything else I should take into consideration when moving interstate?

I've read about some things, like relocation scholarships from centrelink, but am still generally pretty clueless.

If you get accommodation near the uni (there’s plenty within walking distance)- then the bus stop at the uni is a major interchange for the Sunshine Coast and will get you pretty well everywhere you need to go. There’s even a Coles across the road from uni now, so you really can get by without a with a car on the coast now.

Hey, sorry I wouldn't have the answers to your questions. But would you mind disclosing your ATAR for collation purposes for the cutoffs of this new program? Thank you and Congratulations on your offer !
No worries; My ATAR was 99.5. My friend who got 99.2 didn't make the cut unfortunately, if that's also of use to you.

No worries; My ATAR was 99.5. My friend who got 99.2 didn't make the cut unfortunately, if that's also of use to you.
So.... the USC cutoff this year was between 99.25 and 99.35. The cynic in me says that's tremendously good value if you're a good swot but bombed UMAT/interview.

Desperato

Desperato
Hi guys,
I will be moving to Adelaide for Flinders University. What do I need to know about the accommodation, travel, university and course in general?

Hi guys,
I will be moving to Adelaide for Flinders University. What do I need to know about the accommodation, travel, university and course in general?

With travel, it's pretty easy to get around if you drive (20 minute drive to uni from the CBD; otherwise, a 30-40 minute bus ride). But most people live on campus for the first year - I'm from Adelaide so I don't know too much about how uni accommodation works and what is available etc., sorry!

Flinders University is a pretty big campus so there is quite a bit of walking. Your MMED lectures (physiology) and MDSC classes will be at the FMC, whereas your CHEM and BIOL classes will be in the Physical Sciences area. It would be good to space these apart from each other since the FMC and Physical Sciences area are about a 10-15 minute walk apart (there is a shortcut though!). It's a doable walk but I hate rushing to places.

I said MDSC above - that's if you chose the medical science focus. Most people choose medical science and a minority choose health science. For this reason, you'll definitely meet more ClinScis if you choose MedSci. They're both equally relevant. First semester of 1st year MedSci is definitely a lot more full on than second semester - mainly because you have 4 exams to study for in S1! Healthsci has fewer exams if that interests you.
In second semester, you'll do an evolutionary biology topic, a comms topic (which is basically just to brush up on your English - grammar, spelling, writing essays etc.), Chemistry and a Health Law topic.

If you did Chemistry in Year 12, I would definitely choose the Chemical Structure and Bonding/Modern Chemistry combo. Some of the concepts in Chemical Structure and Bonding are hard to wrap your head around at first but the assessments themselves are actually pretty manageable. Modern Chemistry doesn't have an exam and it's basically all self-led learning (no lectures - you go at your own pace, even with the assessments). Even though people call it the 'harder' Chem stream - I found it really enjoyable and it wasn't actually that hard at all. And if you're in MedSci and you choose this stream, you'll actually only end up with 1 exam in semester 2!

If you have any more questions about ClinSci, feel free to ask :DDD

Last edited: