Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

MSO revamp thread/to-do list

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi everyone,

As currently we really only have one active admin (thanks bennjamin) and he's really busy with some recent changes to the site, if you could let us know what has been missed or what is not working for you at the moment, we can make MSO great again! (ahem)

So far I have this:

1. Best/May star redemption - coloured usernames/formatting (partially done)
2. Announcements visible at the top of every page that the staff can put important things up on (for example: MSO flyer competition... or UMAT results out, discuss your results here)
3. (Ruth) - Offtopic functionality on forums (maybe just "Hide/Show" would be ideal as there are other uses for it - Mana)

Last edited:

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff
Wiki pages - currently you can't edit bc you cant hav more than 10,000 characters
Have saved Otago one I just edited on word

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
3. Announcements visible at the top of every page that the staff can put important things up on (for example: MSO flyer competition... or UMAT results out, discuss your results here)

I really like this idea. Hopefully I can build something myself to make this work.

4. (Ruth) - Wiki pages need to be able to be edited and also surpass the 10000 character limit.
Done - limit is now 20,000. Hopefully this is adequate - if not let me know.

5. (Ruth) - Offtopic functionality on forums (maybe just "Hide/Show" would be ideal as there are other uses for it - Mana)

Working on this as well.

Other things I added:
- Multi-quote function for threads (i.e. you can select multiple comments across multiples pages and quote them all in one post)
- Automatic parsing of urls - if a URL is posted the forum will try and find the correct title for it automatically
- Signature function returned for users with >50 posts. Will be implementing this later for users with >5 posts but limited functions.
- Signatures are now visible to guests
- Partially implemented the gold star rewards - still awaiting May's reply re: colour & Best's request for reward
- Returned post/trophy/like counts below avatar

Things I am working on:
- Building a front page, i.e. http://medstudentsonline.com.au rather than directly straight to forums goes to a home page which we can update. This will be a long process
- Building .css styles for "Med Hopeful", "Dent Hopeful", "Med Student" & "Intern" (for Mana & Me!) so that posting avatar on the left of posts will have different styles depending on the group you're in.
- Overhauling the user group permissions so that they're more transparent (backend stuff)
- Offtopic button
- Announcements

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Awesome effort @bennjamin . I am really excited to see MSO develop and get prettier :)

I love the new/old features that you included and I am definitely looking forward to the front page. I think it's a great idea. The announcement function is a must! And the Med Hopeful etc is going to be so cool!!!

Keep up the good work, please! :D

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
[offtopic]hello[/offtopic]

Edit: In process of making this work - looks kind of gross right now and doesn't 100% work. Hopefully will get it running tonight.

Last edited:

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Things I am working on:

- Building .css styles for "Med Hopeful", "Dent Hopeful", "Med Student" & "Intern" (for Mana & Me!) so that posting avatar on the left of posts will have different styles depending on the group you're in.

I think "Doctor" might be nice, the same way as Paging Dr uses it. That way you can give it to other members known to be doctors (notably chinaski, but also some of the old mods when they come back, Havox etc). In any case, I suspect once you have two working then everything else becomes a non-issue... and also it means you don't have to make both of us a new .css style every year we progress, heh.

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff
I think "Doctor" might be nice, the same way as Paging Dr uses it. That way you can give it to other members known to be doctors (notably chinaski, but also some of the old mods when they come back, Havox etc). In any case, I suspect once you have two working then everything else becomes a non-issue... and also it means you don't have to make both of us a new .css style every year we progress, heh.

Lol I'll need a 'Dentist' soon ;) (oh god i hope i graduate)

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
why did you guys make chatbox 'exclusive'?

As in my previous reply, we reverted it to the old rules which stated a minimum post requirement needed to be met. This was done for a number of reasons, but one main one was to prevent newbies asking questions that should be posted on the forum instead. As MSO is a forum, maintaining good forum health is our primary goal. But there were also a number of other reasons expressed by multiple users which resulted in this being the best of both worlds.

As in my previous reply, we reverted it to the old rules which stated a minimum post requirement needed to be met. This was done for a number of reasons, but one main one was to prevent newbies asking questions that should be posted on the forum instead. As MSO is a forum, maintaining good forum health is our primary goal. But there were also a number of other reasons expressed by multiple users which resulted in this being the best of both worlds.
how may posts do i need?

Hi everyone

as you all know i may have over posted to gain acess to chat box:p. anyways this is a legitmite suggestion.

Ok my suggestion is that maybe there should be option that med/dent students etc have a special 'badge' so others (especially the younger ones on this site can ask specific uni related questions without having to post on the forum so everyone on the internet sees)

another suggestion is that maybe we should have a free personal statement/gamsat essay marking service because let's be honest if you're like me you might leave things to the last minute you might want to quickly send someone a pm etc so they can mark and give it feedback etc.

finally we should sell our umat/gamsat/interview materials once we get into med/dent to others for a discounted price, cos i know some of the companies charge $1k+.

hopefully u all like my suggestions

cheers
president snow

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for the legitimate suggestions, I am going to move this to the site-revamp thread as there is already ongoing discussion about some of these points and I'm trying to consolidate all the changes in one easy to find place (otherwise I end up searching everywhere!).

another suggestion is that maybe we should have a free personal statement/gamsat essay marking service because let's be honest if you're like me you might leave things to the last minute you might want to quickly send someone a pm etc so they can mark and give it feedback etc.

This invariably ends up happening (at least to me) in the form of PM's and I think will likely continue to happen moreso in this way. There is a danger with making personal statements public on the forums and critiquing them publicly in the sense that if 'suggestions' are made public that many people will end up with very similar statements. The other issue is the manpower required to complete this task versus the number of available people with the expertise - e.g. I don't think there are many active people on the forum who could give reliable feedback about writing JCU applications other than myself and I certainly don't know of many people who could give feedback for other universities.

finally we should sell our umat/gamsat/interview materials once we get into med/dent to others for a discounted price, cos i know some of the companies charge $1k+.

This is something that PagingDr does and I'm not 100% sure whether MSO is comfortable doing. I will consider it and raise it with Isuru later in the week.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
2. Announcements visible at the top of every page that the staff can put important things up on (for example: MSO flyer competition... or UMAT results out, discuss your results here)

Enabled but only accessible/changeable through the Admin CP. I am planning on setting up a number of 'reminder announcements' and need some more suggestions:

1. JCU written applications due to be mailed by 30th September // Other university deadlines (do we have a list somewhere?)
  2. UMAT results out!
  3. Competitions that are ongoing
  4. HSC Good luck (don't know the date for these!)
Any other thoughts?