Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

MSO revamp thread/to-do list

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Just making a note here to remind us, but we should try and get back the MSO fb page running. It seems @Shizzy is the admin but is currently not available, so just posting this here until he's back 需要安全验证

We had a running FB page? o_O I clearly have not been lurking here for long enough... Also, what's that Chinese-looking link...?

Also, what's the main purpose of the MSO FB page? Is MSO not good enough?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
We had a running FB page? o_O I clearly have not been lurking here for long enough... Also, what's that Chinese-looking link...?

Also, what's the main purpose of the MSO FB page? Is MSO not good enough?

Well it wasn't really active since the early 2010s. The purpose would be to link people to the forum, maybe post other links to helpful websites, make announcements when interviews or offers were out, etc.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Well it wasn't really active since the early 2010s. The purpose would be to link people to the forum, maybe post other links to helpful websites, make announcements when interviews or offers were out, etc.

I see. 2010 was a wee while ago now. It is necessary to keep it alive? I am failing to see any significant benefit. Also, such questions like interview offers should be posted on MSO. No?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I see. 2010 was a wee while ago now. It is necessary to keep it alive? I am failing to see any significant benefit. Also, such questions like interview offers should be posted on MSO. No?

The goal would be just another avenue to get people onto the forum, we're not posting or encouraging posting of 'questions' via fb, we're posting 'announcements'.

For example, we could make a post on the fb page "UMAT results are now out, discuss your thoughts on <link to MSO thread>"

This would notify people on fb who connect with page via that means, and would encourage them to post on the forum too. So we have more people knowing about MSO (we all know how popular MSO is!), and more people posting on the forum.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
The goal would be just another avenue to get people onto the forum, we're not posting or encouraging posting of 'questions' via fb, we're posting 'announcements'.

For example, we could make a post on the fb page "UMAT results are now out, discuss your thoughts on <link to MSO thread>"

This would notify people on fb who connect with page via that means, and would encourage them to post on the forum too. So we have more people knowing about MSO (we all know how popular MSO is!), and more people posting on the forum.

So, ideally, it would just be another means of advertising etc. Kind of like chatbox but open to everyone :)

I hope that thing won't start replacing the forum though! Would someone need to police that, kind of like chatbox? To make sure people won't use that instead of MSO? FB page should just be complementary to MSO...

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
So, ideally, it would just be another means of advertising etc. Kind of like chatbox but open to everyone :)

I hope that thing won't start replacing the forum though! Would someone need to police that, kind of like chatbox? To make sure people won't use that instead of MSO? FB page should just be complementary to MSO...

Haha fb doesn't really operate like hatbox, it's more of a one-way platform. We make posts (eg. as my post above describes), people on fb click on our links and interact with our posts (usually 'liking' and tagging friends in comments), this all results in more people coming to the forums and contributing or reading them.

It definitely can't and won't replace the forums :)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I think the best way to make that FB thing work (and also to avoid spam the way that it is overrun now) is to simply make it so that people cannot post on that facebook page, other than the administrators of that page who make announcements.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I agree with @Mana . We definitely don't want people start posting questions/spamming and all of that. I initially thought it would be just everyone posting stuff but if it is going to be strictly one-way, that would be pretty good.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
As far as I'm aware the facebook page is now in the control of Mana + Life of Pi. Further to this there is likely to be a number of changes happening over the next few weeks (more on that when it happens!).

We've also put in a small bbcode change that allows the following:

[tabs]
[tab=First tab] We have tabs! [/tab]
[tab=Second tab] Hopefully this makes organizing threads re: admission requirements easier! [/tab]
[/tabs]

More formatting options for posts to come!

Last edited:

Mana

Administrator
Thanks ben!

@Shizzy - do you have any idea re: the announcements visible on every page? You were the one who got it working last time... on vbulletin, heh.

Mana

Administrator
[tabs]
[tab=Dazzy] wat[/tab]
[tab=here] wat[/tab]
[tab=they] wat![/tab]
[tab=are] WAT![/tab]
[/tabs]

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Thanks ben!

@Shizzy - do you have any idea re: the announcements visible on every page? You were the one who got it working last time... on vbulletin, heh.

Got this working as well - it's run through the admin CP. I'll make one just for you to demonstrate.

Mana

Administrator

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Suggestion:
For the notices, Would it be possible to make the text size smaller? Can we also add colour to the message so that it is more visible? Finally, instead of a link, can we make the whole sentence clickable? I think that would make it look lot more nicer :)

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Suggestion:
For the notices, Would it be possible to make the text size smaller? Can we also add colour to the message so that it is more visible? Finally, instead of a link, can we make the whole sentence clickable? I think that would make it look lot more nicer :)

I agree with everything you've said. Unfortunately the system doesn't support html parsing within the notices at the moment... I'll see if I can do anything about it :)

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I agree with everything you've said. Unfortunately the system doesn't support html parsing within the notices at the moment... I'll see if I can do anything about it :)
Damn it! that sucks. Hopefully it will all work out!

Clony

Hey guys, I would post this in offtopic tags but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'd like to know how much data was lost during the big makeover (was it last year? Sorry seems so long ago already) and if it's still available somewhere, even if it were just in plain HTML/database data or text. I had originally bookmarked quite a few articles/posts/forums but didn't get round to reading them, my favourite were the blog posts as I found some of them quite profound/insightful and rather poetic.

I regret not reading them and critically reflecting for my Portfolio :p

Quacks

MBChB VI
Sorry @Mana, I know this doesn't belong here, but for some reason the search bar for MSO has disappeared. I need to look up some previous years UMAT scores for HSFY.

Mana

Administrator
Hey guys, I would post this in offtopic tags but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'd like to know how much data was lost during the big makeover (was it last year? Sorry seems so long ago already) and if it's still available somewhere, even if it were just in plain HTML/database data or text. I had originally bookmarked quite a few articles/posts/forums but didn't get round to reading them, my favourite were the blog posts as I found some of them quite profound/insightful and rather poetic.

I regret not reading them and critically reflecting for my Portfolio :p

One hell of a lot of them, that's for sure.

You could try using a google cache if you happen to have the original addresses for it or use the Wayback machine/other website snapshotting databases.