Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

MSO revamp thread/to-do list

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Sorry @Mana, I know this doesn't belong here, but for some reason the search bar for MSO has disappeared. I need to look up some previous years UMAT scores for HSFY.

Try searching google with the parameter: site:www.medstudentsonline.com.au - the search bar on the forum is temporarily disabled for some site stability.

isuru

Staff
Administrator
Hey guys, I would post this in offtopic tags but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'd like to know how much data was lost during the big makeover (was it last year? Sorry seems so long ago already) and if it's still available somewhere, even if it were just in plain HTML/database data or text. I had originally bookmarked quite a few articles/posts/forums but didn't get round to reading them, my favourite were the blog posts as I found some of them quite profound/insightful and rather poetic.

I regret not reading them and critically reflecting for my Portfolio :p

Hi Ciony, all articles on vBulletin CMS and blogs are still in our old database. They have not been lost. We are trying to figure out the optimum way to import them across to the new site. Ideally Articles to Wordpress and Blogs to XFBlogs - we have a developer working on the import but we don't have an ETA at present and we don't have another way of putting them online without it being messy. Apologies.

One hell of a lot of them, that's for sure.
This is not correct. Please see above.

You could try using a google cache if you happen to have the original addresses for it or use the Wayback machine/other website snapshotting databases.
This is a good idea for the time being.

Mana

Administrator
I wouldn't mind having access to the old database to put some of those up after exams.

However, in terms of losing articles and how accessible they are now to the userbase - we've lost a lot of them.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys, I would post this in offtopic tags but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'd like to know how much data was lost during the big makeover (was it last year? Sorry seems so long ago already) and if it's still available somewhere, even if it were just in plain HTML/database data or text. I had originally bookmarked quite a few articles/posts/forums but didn't get round to reading them, my favourite were the blog posts as I found some of them quite profound/insightful and rather poetic.

I regret not reading them and critically reflecting for my Portfolio :p

1. Blog posts are still alive, just difficult to find. In the process of fixing this but it's been relegated to the backburner with some of my current commitments. Link is [2 seconds and I'll find it]

2. Articles also still exist and will be rebuilt over the coming weeks (exact dates unknown!). We'll make these available when we can!

I wouldn't mind having access to the old database to put some of those up after exams.

However, in terms of losing articles and how accessible they are now to the userbase - we've lost a lot of them.

Agreed, the issue is that with the rebuild things will likely change and so any work done on the articles at present is likely lost time. It's easier for everyone if we do the rebuild/import first and then edit the articles to be current again (I think, correct me if I'm wrong Isuru)

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Fixed the offtopic box, but it requires a little bit of effort to put in.

1. You can write the bbcode yourself as follows:

Code:
[SPOILER="Name of box here"] Words to be hidden here [/SPOILER]
This will look like:
Words to be hidden here

Alternatively, there is a small button (hidden-ish) on the editor, it is the 4th from the right and called 'Insert...", click on that and then go down to Spoiler and follow the prompts. At present changing the fact that it says spoiler instead of offtopic is a bit of hassle and is on the backburner.

Mana

Administrator
@Stuart has asked if we can have some add ons that allow you to put tables into the forum.

As far as I know the xenforo add-on for tables isn't installed.

Mana

Administrator
Have made it so that new members cannot see user profiles and therefore cannot post on people's walls. They will be able to see user profiles at the same time they are able to PM people as well.

Mana

Administrator
Have changed some username group colours (admin/mod) - I think having less harsh colours will promote a more relaxed environment and make the mods seem a bit more accessible. (Used the colours from the solarized colour scheme, which I think is very pretty).

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Are there any other up-coming changes?

Will be publishing the new front page + opening up more blog options + building a newsletter template when I return from Asia. Should be up in the next week before I start back at work.

Will also try to create a permanent section for data entry and try to analyse the data we collected this year and publish that as well.