Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb UMelb Medicine: Personal Experiences

let me know if you want to know more about Melbourne uni MD or my Doctor life :) I will make more videos to reply appropriate questions and post them on my Youtube channel

Are there any current or recent students at Melbourne Uni who could give me some information about the contact hours and schedule these days? I have children (will all be at school if/when I start) and I’m trying to figure out details around before and after school care and other arrangements. What time do you typically start and finish? Are you on campus every day? Any useful information about the timetable would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I am guessing you are going to be an MD student? If so, Perplex can help you out the next time he’s online.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If you are heading into the MD, I would definitely go to Paging Dr and the UMelb specific thread and have a look at what info is already there, then ask any questions you may still have.

Alternatively, Lil Raindrop may be able to help.

If you are heading into the MD, I would definitely go to Paging Dr and the UMelb specific thread and have a look at what info is already there, then ask any questions you may still have.

Alternatively, Lil Raindrop may be able to help.
I did ask on the UMelb thread but my question was moved here. The closest thing to the information I have been able to find anywhere on the internet was a response to a similar question from 6 years ago on MSO but I’m aware that I’m that time, the schedule may have changed a bit. I’ve been trying to find this information for a year now so I’d be really grateful if anyone could respond with up to date info.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I would suggest asking in PagingDr, another forum. This is the thread I'd suggest posting in (you will need an account to see anything): Login.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I did ask on the UMelb thread but my question was moved here. The closest thing to the information I have been able to find anywhere on the internet was a response to a similar question from 6 years ago on MSO but I’m aware that I’m that time, the schedule may have changed a bit. I’ve been trying to find this information for a year now so I’d be really grateful if anyone could respond with up to date info.

I moved your post here because this is the existing UMelb thread at MSO. This forum (MSO) is largely dedicated to undergraduate, non-standard, and provisional entry medicine and dentistry, not graduate entry. I directed you to check the UMelb specific thread at Paging Dr, which is different forum altogether, and dedicated to graduate entry medicine.

This is a little last minute but I hope someone could see this in time. I am choosing preferences for the graduate entry GEMSAS application and I am choosing between Melbourne University and Macquarie University in NSW as preference 1. I understand that Macquarie Uni only started offering graduate medicine recently in 2018, and they do not offer CSP places. I would like to know the pros and cons of studying at either university. I am new on this website and cannot make new posts, only reply to existing ones. For reference I am from Sydney (Sydney Uni is not available as a preference in the GEMSAS application). Thanks in advance.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Generally pro and cons lists are extremely personal, but ultimately the only pro for Macquarie would be that you get to stay in Sydney. Given its FFP, brand new, and does a year in India instead of Australia makes me question the educational quality of MQ.

Also Melbourne does offer full fee places for domestic students aswell, but most places are still CSP.

You cant make forum threads until you have 10 valuable forum posts. What do you want to post about, I can direct you to the right thread or make one for you.

Generally pro and cons lists are extremely personal, but ultimately the only pro for Macquarie would be that you get to stay in Sydney. Given its FFP, brand new, and does a year in India instead of Australia makes me question the educational quality of MQ.

Also Melbourne does offer full fee places for domestic students aswell, but most places are still CSP.

You cant make forum threads until you have 10 valuable forum posts. What do you want to post about, I can direct you to the right thread or make one for you.
Thank you for this, I couldn't find the reason for not being able to post. I wanted to make a post in the specific University thread for Macquarie University, to ask current students what it is like and ask about the internship in India, which I also found to be a little dodgy, especially since they do not offer CSP.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thank you for this, I couldn't find the reason for not being able to post. I wanted to make a post in the specific University thread for Macquarie University, to ask current students what it is like and ask about the internship in India, which I also found to be a little dodgy, especially since they do not offer CSP.
This is an undergraduate Med forum so we don’t have much Maq U traffic. We have very limited threads re. graduate entry because that’s not our focus. For this, your best bet is a graduate Uni forum, of which there are several.

Apue

I wish to ask a question about studying in campuses.
I heard that med students will need to drive to different schools during the 4 years course.
So is it essential to obtain a driving license and a car to move around to attend the classes?

A1

Rookie Doc
I wish to ask a question about studying in campuses.
I heard that med students will need to drive to different schools during the 4 years course.
So is it essential to obtain a driving license and a car to move around to attend the classes?
It varies from school to school.

During my few short weeks at UNSW I was allocated the once-a-fortnight clinical class to an outwest hospital. Without a car I'd need a bus from Kensington to Central (no tram at the time) + a train to outwest + a long walk to the hospital, then the return trip. I protested so they kicked me out (j/k).

After I switched to UWA all my classes were at the QE-II Medical campus. But there were several clinical rotations I needed a car to travel to: some rotations at Joondalup 25km away, two GP rotations they deliberately assigned to distant GPs 30km away, one rural rotation 150km away.