Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

National Standardised OSCEs

DrsABCDE

Lurker
Hey,

As some of you may know there are usually 2-4 standardised osces in the final medical examinations. Thought it might be a good idea to compile a) when different unis have their osces and b) what sort of stations people get to attempt to work them out!

UTAS- August 7th

frootloop

Doctor
Is this for final year? Like a kind of national bar exam for medicine?

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Is this for final year? Like a kind of national bar exam for medicine?

Not quite, but more of a standardization / moderation / monitoring set of OSCE stations & also some MCQ questions that are implanted in the current final year Aus medical examinations. These are the OSCE stations that have an 'extra' marker in them who is usually the national representative.

I have written about them before on PagingDr & have cross-posted my comments from there below:

Have found references to supporting the addition of benchmarking questions into MCQ:

2014 paper summarising the outcomes of the project: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/0142159X.2013.849798
Internal AMAC paper with an overview of the project: https://www.acer.org/files/implementing-common-assessment-amac-resource.pdf
Table showing some of the currently running projects beyond the main AMAC one: http://www.medicaldeans.org.au/wp-content/uploads/20140204-Assessment-Benchmarking-consortia.pdf

And the project for OSCEs, though the website sucks & has minimal information.
Australian Collaboration for Clinical Assessment in Medicine — ACCLAiM

The original paper regarding OSCES is here, but it's paywalled ... I'll happily post the .pdf if allowed (?):
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/0142159X.2015.1016487?src=recsys&journalCode=imte20

A further follow-up paper published in 2017 is available here but unfortunately both my OpenAthens & university logins don't provide me access:
A collaborative comparison of objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) standard setting methods at Australian medical schools. - PubMed - NCBI

In short they had 11 OSCE stations that were shared between medical schools across Australia & run through 2011 - 2014 with the paper subsequently published in 2015. The paper has an appendix which describes the 11 stations briefly, I've copied it here to make it easier

Abdominal pain
- Focused and relevant clinical GI examination.
- Formulation of differential diagnoses and first line management
- Physical examination, diagnostic and management skills

Groin pain
- Focused history and examination of patient with possible inguinal hernia or groin strain
- History taking, physical examination and communication skills

Prostate cancer
- Focused history of patient with difficulty passing urine History taking, diagnostic and communication skills

Vaccination
- Vaccination general and specific knowledge of pertussis History taking and communication skills, and knowledge of immunisation: Basic science and population health aspects

Anaemia
- Interpret abnormal full blood count in a 56 year old man, focused history taking to establish likely cause of anaemia
- History taking skills, Interpretation of abnormal haematological
- Investigations and formulation of differential diagnoses

Bell’s palsy
- Targeted neurological examination of cranial nerves 6–12, interpret diagram of patient’s face and give most likely diagnosis
- Physical examination, interpretation and formulation of differential diagnoses

Peripheral vascular disease
- Focused history and vascular examination of right leg, diagnosis and investigation plan
- Physical examination, history taking, formulation of differential diagnoses and investigation plan

Sexually transmitted infections
- Focused sexual history for vaginal discharge and appropriate investigations
- Sexual history, communication skills, differential diagnosis and investigation plan

Asthma
- Management plan for severe asthma
- Communication skills and management plan

Cellulitis
- Patient with severe cellulitis of the right lower limb is being discharged home to a nearby Aboriginal Community.
- Arrange discharge plan, which includes a telephone call to discuss the case with a health worker at the local clinic
- Inter-professional communication, patient-centred care, and cultural competency/safety

Neck lump
-Perform a systematic head and neck examination, with a thyroid focus on a patient who thinks she may have felt a lump in her neck and seeks reassurance
- Physical examination, communication and diagnostic skills, investigation plan

Last edited:

frootloop

Doctor
[OFFTOPIC]
Huh. Interesting. Probably not a bad idea in a country with quite a few medical schools when they are all supposed to produce equivalent graduates [/OFFTOPIC]

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
[OFFTOPIC]
Huh. Interesting. Probably not a bad idea in a country with quite a few medical schools when they are all supposed to produce equivalent graduates [/OFFTOPIC]

There is now a National Psychology Exam (more like Law Bar Exam than what Ben has described for the OSCE) in Australia, too, in a bid to standardise graduate proficiency levels. I’m not sure about other areas of Allied Health, but if not, it’s probably on the way.

Edited to remove off-topic tags because they screwed up. Obviously the off-topic glitch is still a thing!

Tassie1

Lurker
Hi everyone,

Have any uni’s completed their final year exams and what stations did you have? I know there are usually standardised ones and we are definitely interested in those ones if anyone knows them?

Cheers!

Hey,

As some of you may know there are usually 2-4 standardised osces in the final medical examinations. Thought it might be a good idea to compile a) when different unis have their osces and b) what sort of stations people get to attempt to work them out!

UTAS- August 7th
Hey mate
Do u know the utas stations 2019, Have they already been sat
Thanks heaps
Stressing for exams 😄😄🙄🙄🥳

Hi everyone,

Have any uni’s completed their final year exams and what stations did you have? I know there are usually standardised ones and we are definitely interested in those ones if anyone knows them?

Cheers!
We have ours soon too
Have u got any word back from any other uni
They usually post them on a thread but I couldn't find any post

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey mate
Do u know the utas stations 2019, Have they already been sat
Thanks heaps
Stressing for exams 😄😄🙄🙄🥳

If you’re talking end of final year OSCEs, then yep, they were in about late July/early August. Second, third, and fourth year are happening currently.

If you’re talking end of final year OSCEs, then yep, they were in about late July/early August. Second, third, and fourth year are happening currently.
Ohh awesome
Do u have word on what the stations were
Our final year osce are happening on 2ish wks
Thanks heaps 😃😂😁🤩

forevafrensbear

Final year OSCE's ... anything in your pre-intern expected outcomes or competencies list is fair game.

I've seen everything from applying a tourniquet and snake-bite care ; insertion of an IVC (ED stations) to a Parkinson's Examination followed by a review of a medication chart for poly pharmacy.