Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: Newcastle Accommodation and Colleges

Hey guys! I just accepted my offer for the Newcastle JMP but have no idea where to live. Has much of the college culture changed since these posts? And is there now a typical college that med students go to?
Hi i live on campus currently id say things are a bit different to the post because there are more colleges now and they’re only really t, but also
Hey I was accepted into JMP at UoN too and will be living on south tower (one of the new residences), as far as I know Teds, Evatt and IH are more party and socially orientated ( although every college has their own social events and parties etc), Barra is known as much quieter and the new residences are probably somewhere in between. If you haven't applied yet I'd get on that as on-campus accommodation is very competitive, some of my friends are on a waitlist, so you might be best to call student living to see where has places to boost the likelihood of getting a place!
Hey i’m on south next year too that’s where i was last year.

jamesatwestbeach

Flinders MD 2024
Hi guys,

I have been filling out my application for on-campus accommodation preemptively and I was wondering if anybody currently studying at UoN would be able to give me advice on what residences to apply for. I was particularly wondering where most of the 'med' students stay and which places you guys would recommend.

n333k

I just got an accommodation offer for Edwards Hall. Does anyone know much about it, whether it’s a decent place to live etc. ?

drpkjr

I just got an accommodation offer for Edwards Hall. Does anyone know much about it, whether it’s a decent place to live etc. ?
Hey Nkkk
I just got one for East Tower.... do you think this is a good sign? have you preferenced anything other than med at UON? I havent...

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey Nkkk
I just got one for East Tower.... do you think this is a good sign? have you preferenced anything other than med at UON? I havent...
Accommodation offers are a completely separate process to course place offers - so unfortunately this doesn’t mean anything regarding your chances at a place offer.

n333k

Hey Nkkk

Yeah I haven’t even interviewed yet so definitely don’t think it’s a sign!

I just got an accommodation offer for Edwards Hall. Does anyone know much about it, whether it’s a
decent place to live etc. ?

Edwards hall is also known as "TEDs". as close to the "Frat Party" experience as you can get in aus. The only catered accomodation. Facilities are average but nearly everyone who goes here goes for the atmosphere. If you are a party animal/ drinker then go for it. If you are not, then ask to move to one of the other residences. Some love it and stay 2-3 years, others hate it and stay <4 months. All depends on ur personality.

hey, if I haven't applied for accomodation, is it too late?

You want to be applying ASAP and calling them every day pestering them. Technically there's already a waiting list but if you bother them enough they'll bump u up a spot. Basically if someone is above you and lodged an application a month ago and hasn't followed up, and u call them everyday u clearly want it/ need it more.

If you absolutely pester them you could be fine. I'd say out of those accepted into med who apply last minute, maybe 60% get offers. Don't leave it any longer tho, accom is in really high demand and they easily fill out by end of November/ December. And then more places come as the offers are rejected, and internationals leave. But at this point they're likely at 100% capacity

Did anyone get an accomodation at the Evatt House. I got one for the shared apartment but I’m kinda worried about it not being all females. If anyone has had experience at Evatt House could you tell me about it!

Reasonable college, it's one of the "Old Residential" colleges as opposed to the "New Residential" colleges. In general they are abit more party/ social oriented which is good if you want that experience. The facilities are good, but slightly worse than the New Res colleges. Very fun/ quite exclusive/ Party / Drinking culture.

Reactions: Vvv

Vvv

Reasonable college, it's one of the "Old Residential" colleges as opposed to the "New Residential" colleges. In general they are abit more party/ social oriented which is good if you want that experience. The facilities are good, but slightly worse than the New Res colleges. Very fun/ quite exclusive/ Party / Drinking culture.
Thanks for the info! I just two more questions. If I get lifestyle apartment is there still a similiar culture of partying? Also, how tight are the living quarters in the shared apartments? So how close are you to the people who are there? Thanks!!

Thanks for the info! I just two more questions. If I get lifestyle apartment is there still a similiar culture of partying? Also, how tight are the living quarters in the shared apartments? So how close are you to the people who are there? Thanks!!

No culture of partying with lifestyle apartments. They have noise restriction passed 10pm and whatnot. They still do lots of events and dinners and whatnot, just no loud music and partying, i think some floors on North tower might be alcohol restricted too.

In terms of how close you are, generally the more social/ party your college is the closer you'll be to your roomates. From people that have lived in "lifestyle", it's sort of, you go about your day to day business and see your roomates occasionally. For people that live in "General" the atmosphere is significantly more social. All accomodations have shared apartments apart from Edwards Hall and Barahineban which was your traditional dorm room settings. I'll attached somewhat of a rough guide for anyone that may read this.

"Frat" Colleges
Edwards Hall -Single Room - 7/10 - You better love drinking/partying/noise. Shared toilets and showers can be pre gross
Evatt House- Shared Apartment - 7.5/10 Same as Edwards, Slightly better facilities. Abit elitist and cliquey. Huge scandal made national news last year about how fucked their initiation and culture is. Was abit exagerrated tho, was like that 4-5 years ago.

Work Hard/Play Hard (Probably best overall)

International House - Shared Apartment 9/10 Lots of international exchange students (europe and america), cool vibes.
South Tower- Shared Apartment 9/10 It is a "tower" so has the best facilities, and has an inclusive and social culture.
Barahineban- Single Room 8/10 hipster college somewhat. Really cool. Keep to themselves.

"I'm here to study and maybe go out on the weekend"
West Tower- Shared Apartment 7.5/10 Same as South but less social
East Tower- Shared Apartment 7.5/10 Same as South but less social

"I would prefer a completed study conducive environment with minimal noise."
North Tower- Shared Apartment 7.0 For serious study

I am a Residential Mentor on International House for 2019 (I was a fresher last year). IH is a great place to live if you wanna meet people from all over the world. Made friends from America, England, Sweden, France, Germany, etc. It's got a great social scene and heaps of opportunities for sport, music, charity and partying hehe. Sharing an apartment is awesome because you can cook your own food (catering is crap) and you get a tv and living area

Teds is really cool too (I have heaps of friends there) - it's not a "frat" atmosphere lol there is a lot of drinking but its not a constant party - most drinking and going out tends to happen at bars and clubs off campus excluding pre drinks. Yes we have parties but they don't get as wild as Hollywood shows. You are on floors with about 40 people per floor instead of IH's shared apartments of 6 or 10.

ps life on college is quiet during the day whilst everyone is at uni and livens up at night so don't worry about it being noisy 100% of the time

Evatt is kinda close to IH but I'm biased so International House is obviously better

Barahineban is mostly for couples or people who want to study - there is still culture but more tight knit as less people go out

The towers are getting better except North is completely lifestyle so no party life at all

each of the college's associations (representative councils) organise inter-college parties so you will be able to meet people from other colleges and make heaps of friends

in terms of med students I would pick one of the quieter colleges or go lifestyle in IH or teds because med is a lot of study and requires lots of hours put in unless you are prepared to live at the library

hmu if you need more info xxx
keen to see you freshers soon on move in day 9th Feb

Thanks so much for the info!!! I've already accepted my Evatt offer, since the customer service team told me it's risky to decline it at this point, so I was wondering if there are normally any med students living in Evatt? Thanks!

I’m sure there would be! I don’t know of any personally but I know med students at both IH and teds and they seem to be able to do well