Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

non-biomed major twosies - are we screwed?

Mas1991

While the overwhelming majority of the provisional cohort opted for the biomed science major, there is still a few of us that undertook a psyc and maths(anyone know of any?) major; an arts degree or health science. Now the health science bunch, at least, undertake in some "sciency" subjects but the rest of us are not as adept when it comes to first year science.

Can any current med students provide some insight into the importance of the biomed major. will i be screwed if i did psyc and absolutely no study during this holiday before 1st year? any subjects i should look over in the remaining 6 weeks? any psyc/arts/maths majors currently in med have any info on how difficult they found it to catch up etc?

kashmuq

U mad?
Health sci kids are probs better off. They did stuff on poulation health + indigenous health which are covered in med.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
While the overwhelming majority of the provisional cohort opted for the biomed science major, there is still a few of us that undertook a psyc and maths(anyone know of any?) major; an arts degree or health science. Now the health science bunch, at least, undertake in some "sciency" subjects but the rest of us are not as adept when it comes to first year science.

Can any current med students provide some insight into the importance of the biomed major. will i be screwed if i did psyc and absolutely no study during this holiday before 1st year? any subjects i should look over in the remaining 6 weeks? any psyc/arts/maths majors currently in med have any info on how difficult they found it to catch up etc?

Heck I've done 2 years of science but can't remember most of it. I've been talking to some current first years and they said the advantage is minimal after the first few weeks. So I wouldn't worry. Im thinking of doing some prereading before med too. What subs were you looking into?

kizza_boy

Don't worry you'll be at no disadvantage. Just study hard and you'll be fine. Any advantage biomed majors have evaporates after first semester anyway and you'll all soon be on equal playing ground.

Mas1991

Heck I've done 2 years of science but can't remember most of it. I've been talking to some current first years and they said the advantage is minimal after the first few weeks. So I wouldn't worry. Im thinking of doing some prereading before med too. What subs were you looking into?

Well i got a tonne of lectopia and slides for a few subjects. if i had to do some pre-reading, I'd probably look at biom2011, Micro2000 and maybe even a little immuno (2nd year of course).

Don't worry you'll be at no disadvantage. Just study hard and you'll be fine. Any advantage biomed majors have evaporates after first semester anyway and you'll all soon be on equal playing ground.

That's good to know, but im guessing that the non-biomeds study the hardest to catch up in the first few weeks.

kizza_boy

Well i got a tonne of lectopia and slides for a few subjects. if i had to do some pre-reading, I'd probably look at biom2011, Micro2000 and maybe even a little immuno (2nd year of course).

That's good to know, but im guessing that the non-biomeds study the hardest to catch up in the first few weeks.

Agree with your subject choices to revise there. Also, if you did BIOC2000 that would be helpful too, as biochem is often what non-science background students struggle most with in first semester as there is a lot of it.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads