non-school leaver entry query

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by ikanovica, Feb 4, 2018.

1. ikanovica

ikanovica Member

Hey guys, so I recently graduated high school.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances that affected my final year of schooling performance, I hadn't performed as well as I would've like to,

I will be however, studying biomedicine at the University of Melbourne, ive seen that some universities offer admission to "non-standard" students- i.e. students currently at university but looking to enrol into an undergraduate style course, im just wondering which universities offer these types of vacancies in Australia and what would I likely need to be doing- both academically and application wise (timing I guess) to gain admission.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yamster

Yamster 010110010110000101101101

Yam
    Heya Ikanovica,

Welcome to MSO! There's several universities that you can apply to, have a look here at A1's lovely entrance chart: [Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

The bottom section is more specific to your enquiry with non-standard requirements. :)

Out of curiosity, how come you chose to study biomed? Have you looked into job availability/graduate job opportunities?

Isiyara likes this.
  3. ikanovica

ikanovica Member

Hey I had a look at the table but was more so after some more specific information about those institutions as the websites for them can be a little muddled and hard to follow but thank you.

And to answer your question in full, I chose the university because of location, but chose the course for two silly reasons, for one I wasnt about to get myself involved in something like commerce on its own, and to be perfectly honest I would've taken biomed/comm at monash if it was closer to my location so I could use actuarial science as my backup plan. The other reason im sure not many others consider, Is that I dont really like having choice when It comes to subjects/pathways. Biomed was very rigid in its layout with almost all my subjects chosen for me. If youre wondering why I chose Bio over Sci, I initially made the decision because of cohort size- and again because of the freedom aspect. However, with the new changes to Melbourne's intake it seems the cohort is huge(900) so doesnt really add to the cohort feel.

4. Yamster

Yamster 010110010110000101101101

Yam
    What kind of specific information are you after? As in, extra-curriculum advice for JCU's application process, etc.?

What would you do if you didn't get into medicine, would you be okay with the biomed degree? If you are, then I think it's fine as a backup degree. :)

5. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Five unis Unsw, Monash, Adel, UTas, Curtin allow their own 1st/2nd year students to *compete* for transferring into Med. Since you are not going to one of these they are not relevant.

Four unis JCU, JMP, WSU, Unsw accept non-standard applicants from any uni/degree. Look in the table in the Y12 section for these unis, then replace the ATAR requirement with GPA (or GPA+ATAR for Unsw) as described in the non-standard section. You get as much information as we can reasonably summarise.

6. ikanovica

ikanovica Member

Sorry for late reply, however, is JCU the only out of the bunch that do not require UMAT?

7. karenh

karenh Regular Member

Yep, JCU is the only one out of the 9 unis that A1 listed that doesn't need the UMAT.

From my understanding, unlike the other 7 unis, JMP and WSU have a UMAT hurdle for the interview (whether it be overall percentile and or section scores) e.g. I think JMP this year required a minimum of 50 in S2 and S3, and 58 in S3 (usually 60, but A1 can verify this). So if you met that criteria, you would've been offered a JMP interview. Plus for offers, JMP is 100% based on the interview (they don't look at UMAT anymore). For WSU, I think that offers are mostly based on interviews and a bit on the UMAT (A1 might need to check if this is true though).

Good luck with it all! :)

8. ikanovica

ikanovica Member

Thank you for that, I just didn't want to resit the UMAT unnecessarily; however a hurdle seems far more of a viable option :)
    ill be sure to take it all onboard

karenh likes this.