• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Applications Advice Requests

Crow

Most Active 2018
Awesome thanks, what do they use for the basis of interviews then, because won't interview invites be given before GPA/ ATAR results are released? Do they do this on the basis of UCAT?
JMP won't consider your GPA until place offer stages (i.e. you could hypothetically be under the hurdle and they'd still give you an interview if your UCAT was high enough). For JCU, if you do get an interview it will most likely be in the second round (held in early January) once your full year's worth of results are available and they have your updated GPA. I can't recall what WSU do (whether they check you've met the GPA hurdle before or after interviews - LMG! and A1 will know) and I don't believe your results coming out in November will have any effect on UNSW.

hhitch

Well I think ATAR results are released in December, and most Unis release semester 2 results in november, so if anything university GPA result are released before ATAR results, so I dont see how a non standard can be disadvantaged compared to standard applicant based on timing only

Sir Topham Hatt

I think it all makes sense now. if you look at the Yr 12/ Non Standards Selection Table- I think the thing that confuses me is that it says for UNSW, "ATAR if less than 0.75 FTE" and for WSU it says you can use 1 Semester FTE with a GPA of 6.2, or 1 Year FTE with a GPA of 6. For some reason from this, I got the impression you could almost pick and choose the grades/ ATAR to use depending on what's better and the timing of results. Could someone please clarify?

Sherlock

I think it all makes sense now. if you look at the Yr 12/ Non Standards Selection Table- I think the thing that confuses me is that it says for UNSW, "ATAR if less than 0.75 FTE" and for WSU it says you can use 1 Semester FTE with a GPA of 6.2, or 1 Year FTE with a GPA of 6. For some reason from this, I got the impression you could almost pick and choose the grades/ ATAR to use depending on what's better and the timing of results. Could someone please clarify?
You can't really choose, no. Once you have 1 FTE, they'll look at your results from tertiary studies in the case of UNSW.

To answer your example about WSU, some may start university in the second semester of an academic calendar year or some may study part time and one full year of part time study may only make up 1 semester FTE. Obviously, the GPA requirements lower with more studies under the belt as this implies consistency over a longer period and thus, perhaps more reliable.

This is simply a case of different universities having variations in their selection criteria.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Both JMP and WSU send out interview invites before ATAR or year-end GPA is known, so it's based solely on UCAT. Then when they come to the place offer stage:
- WSU: if your ATAR was >95.5 you're okay, if not they will check if your GPA is > 6.0 or 6.2 depending on the FTE you have done.
- JMP: they will check your GPA if you have done 1+ FTE year, otherwise ATAR.

UNSW sends out invites after ATAR/year-end GPA is known and counted into the interview selection. If you have done 0.75+ FTE year it's ATAR+GPA combined, otherwise ATAR only.

Sir Topham Hatt

Thanks, is there a limit for the amount of times your ATAR can be used? Like if it's above 95.5 for WSU, can it be used indefinetely until your ucat is above threshold for an interview invite, or does it expire.
I'm aware JCU has a separate pool for Non- Standards, but what about UNSW, WSU and JMP, are we placed in the overall pool of applicants including School leavers?

Crow

Most Active 2018
I'm aware JCU has a separate pool for Non- Standards, but what about UNSW, WSU and JMP, are we placed in the overall pool of applicants including School leavers?
Yes, there’s only a single pool of applicants for those universities.

For WSU - there’s no “expiry” but once you have a completed degree you can’t rely on your ATAR to get you over the hurdle anymore. It’ll go off your GPA from that point.

jaeytea

Hi there, I'm a bit overwhelmed and need some advice about what to do regarding next years study.
I'm currently studying HSFY in NZ, and I'm not sure if my grade would be high enough to get into med. I am considering doing postgrad here but I've also been looking into universities in Australia, and I am wondering how I might be able to apply there via postgrad or non-standard application?
I am aware that as I will have completed one year of university in NZ that I will likely be ineligible for direct entry. Does this mean I'd have to have completed a degree before applying? Will universities in Australia look at my NZ NCEA Level 3 results or my HSFY results and if it's HSFY results, is there a standard GPA they are looking for?
Also, the UCAT is threshold at Otago University. How is it weighed in australia?

Thank you.

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
Hi there, I'm a bit overwhelmed and need some advice about what to do regarding next years study.
I'm currently studying HSFY in NZ, and I'm not sure if my grade would be high enough to get into med. I am considering doing postgrad here but I've also been looking into universities in Australia, and I am wondering how I might be able to apply there via postgrad or non-standard application?
I am aware that as I will have completed one year of university in NZ that I will likely be ineligible for direct entry. Does this mean I'd have to have completed a degree before applying? Will universities in Australia look at my NZ NCEA Level 3 results or my HSFY results and if it's HSFY results, is there a standard GPA they are looking for?
Also, the UCAT is threshold at Otago University. How is it weighed in australia?

Thank you.
There are several Australian universities you could apply to as a non-standard applicant once you've completed a year of study. You can't apply for graduate entry (there's no such thing as post-grad entry) until you have completed a degree and that is via GAMSAT, not UCAT.

So, for non-standard you'd be looking at UNSW, WSU, JMP, JCU, and Bond. You can find the information they they use in this thread and similar here at MSO, so I won't go over that again.

With regard to your GPA, yes all will convert your NZ GPA to an academic rank of some kind (and either use it on its own or in conjunction with your high school results, which they will also convert), you don't have to worry about doing that yourself, the relevant TAC will do it, but I think you can request conversions if you want to know (perhaps for a fee).

Only JMP used UMAT as a hurdle, and presumably they are doing the same thing with UCAT. Bond and JCU don't use UCAT at all.

Check out these threads: [Undergrad] - (2019 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Last edited:

Hi, I am a 1st year health and med science student at University of Adelaide. I am looking to transfer into their undergrad program. My GPA for this semester is at a 7 (all HDs), my question is if I can maintain this GPA or relatively close to it, what are my chances of recieving a place? Do they give more lee-way on UCAT percentiles for tertiary transfers?

medicalkitty

Hey looking for some advice as a really weird non-standard applicant.
UMAT: 99
ATAR: 99.15

I studied undergrad med for 3.5 years with a pretty bad GPA (credit) before I got sick and took an early exit.
I have since completed 2 masters degrees (both with distinction).
I am now re-applying to med schools and want to avoid sitting the GAMSAT if I can (because lazy). If I don't get in anywhere I'll sit the GAMSAT and apply next year as a post-grad.

Atm I am applying to WSU, UNSW and JCU.
The first two as a transfer and the latter as a non-standard.

What do people think of my chances? Do you know of anyone who was accepted via transfer?

RÜFÜS DU SOL

Both JMP and WSU send out interview invites before ATAR or year-end GPA is known, so it's based solely on UCAT. Then when they come to the place offer stage:
- WSU: if your ATAR was >95.5 you're okay, if not they will check if your GPA is > 6.0 or 6.2 depending on the FTE you have done.
- JMP: they will check your GPA if you have done 1+ FTE year, otherwise ATAR.

UNSW sends out invites after ATAR/year-end GPA is known and counted into the interview selection. If you have done 0.75+ FTE year it's ATAR+GPA combined, otherwise ATAR only.
I'm in a bit of sticky situation at the moment. I did 5 subjects in my first semester (4 partially completed, 1 fully completed) and failed the one fully completed. The rest get completed after our end-of-year final oral examination but I've been sitting on D & HDs in those subjects. Right now, with my GPA of 5.1 (without the fail), I can comfortably apply to JMP, but I'm worried if I apply to them with the fail counting, it would bring my GPA to 4.9 (with the fail) and might not make the cutoff. But after what you've said, do they just give out interviews PURELY off of UCAT, and then check your GPA to give out actual place offers? In that case, by then, I should have finished my final oral exam, and my GPA should go up a fair bit if everything goes to plan. Thanks heaps mate

A1

Admissions Speculator
But after what you've said, do they just give out interviews PURELY off of UCAT, and then check your GPA to give out actual place offers?
Can confirm that^ for NSW/ACT/QLD/Rural applicants.

There's a variation which may or may not apply to you. I know of one person who received a JMP interview invite in Oct. Being interstate they were going to be interviewed in January (instead of November). When they rang to book an interview slot in January the JMP person saw their year-end GPA below the hurdle so refused to book them in.

RÜFÜS DU SOL

Can confirm that^ for NSW/ACT/QLD/Rural applicants.

There's a variation which may or may not apply to you. I know of one person who received a JMP interview invite in Oct. Being interstate they were going to be interviewed in January (instead of November). When they rang to book an interview slot in January the JMP person saw their year-end GPA below the hurdle so refused to book them in.
Oh awesome, I'm NSW so that's pretty lucky. Thanks for the reply mate!

Kai2020

Hi! Another non-standard applicant here.
I've previously sat the HSC a few years back and didn't receive an ATAR or UMAT score good enough for med so i started university and have studied around 2 years full time now. I decided to resit the HSC because my grades at uni weren't that good either and sit the UCAT as well this year. I've read on a few university applications that students who have started tertiary studies are not eligible to apply, some say that they take tertiary grades into account (which i would rather not because they're not that good) and some don't specify?
I've emailed a student representative from WSU and they said that they will take my new ATAR and UCAT into account not my previous studies.
I've also emailed university of new castle and the representative there was not really clear if I was eligible or not but she did say along the lines that my ATAR will be taken account?
I would love to have some clarification as what to do because I would really like to get into undergraduate med!
Cheers!

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hi! Another non-standard applicant here.
I've previously sat the HSC a few years back and didn't receive an ATAR or UMAT score good enough for med so i started university and have studied around 2 years full time now. I decided to resit the HSC because my grades at uni weren't that good either and sit the UCAT as well this year. I've read on a few university applications that students who have started tertiary studies are not eligible to apply, some say that they take tertiary grades into account (which i would rather not because they're not that good) and some don't specify?
I've emailed a student representative from WSU and they said that they will take my new ATAR and UCAT into account not my previous studies.
I've also emailed university of new castle and the representative there was not really clear if I was eligible or not but she did say along the lines that my ATAR will be taken account?
I would love to have some clarification as what to do because I would really like to get into undergraduate med!
Cheers!
My understanding of JMP rule is JMP will use GPA if you have done 1+ year of uni studies. Having a new ATAR doesn't wipe out your uni records since in the UAC application you will have to declare all your uni studies, thus GPA will be used if they stick to this rule. That said, JMP requires only 4.7+, is your GPA good enough?

WSU allows you to use either GPA 6.0+ or ATAR (93.5+ for GWS, 95.5+ for others). If your old or new ATAR meets this hurdle you are eligible to apply.

UNSW will use both your GPA and ATAR in 50/50 combination. It looks like you won't have much of a chance there even with a good new ATAR. I'm not sure how JCU will treat your case.

For all other schools, unfortunately a new ATAR doesn't change the fact your existing tertiary record makes you ineligible.

Kai2020

My understanding of JMP rule is JMP will use GPA if you have done 1+ year of uni studies. Having a new ATAR doesn't wipe out your uni records since in the UAC application you will have to declare all your uni studies, thus GPA will be used if they stick to this rule. That said, JMP requires only 4.7+, is your GPA good enough?

WSU allows you to use either GPA 6.0+ or ATAR (93.5+ for GWS, 95.5+ for others). If your old or new ATAR meets this hurdle you are eligible to apply.

UNSW will use both your GPA and ATAR in 50/50 combination. It looks like you won't have much of a chance there even with a good new ATAR. I'm not sure how JCU will treat your case.

For all other schools, unfortunately a new ATAR doesn't change the fact your existing tertiary record makes you ineligible.
Thanks for your advice! I've emailed newcastle again and the representative said: "They will assess your HSC and ATAR but if you do not provide the information about your previous university studies they will not be assessed." Not sure how much to trust this

Crow

Most Active 2018
Thanks for your advice! I've emailed newcastle again and the representative said: "They will assess your HSC and ATAR but if you do not provide the information about your previous university studies they will not be assessed." Not sure how much to trust this
You’ll need to apply through UAC though, who will then go through a process of obtaining your results from your university. You won’t be able to just “not provide the information” as far as I’m aware unless you were to lie on your UAC application (which comes with its own consequences, I would think).

A1

Admissions Speculator
It's likely you have reached a *general* Admissions officer, whom we have learned time & again can be vague about Med admissions. Best to contact someone at JMP med school directly.

From memory when submitting the UAC application you're asked to choose whether applying as a current or past Y12 student. If you choose past it will ask you to declare any tertiary studies. Are you willing to submit as a current Y12?

You may have seen this JMP webpage but I will mention it anyway
> Academic eligibility

"Your previous university study will be used to assess your academic eligibility if you will have completed at least one year full-time at a recognised higher education institution in Australia or overseas by the end of 2019. In this case, you will not be considered based on your Year 12 results."

Kai2020

It's likely you have reached a *general* Admissions officer, whom we have learned time & again can be vague about Med admissions. Best to contact someone at JMP med school directly.

From memory when submitting the UAC application you're asked to choose whether applying as a current or past Y12 student. If you choose past it will ask you to declare any tertiary studies. Are you willing to submit as a current Y12?

You may have seen this JMP webpage but I will mention it anyway
> Academic eligibility

"Your previous university study will be used to assess your academic eligibility if you will have completed at least one year full-time at a recognised higher education institution in Australia or overseas by the end of 2019. In this case, you will not be considered based on your Year 12 results."
Ahh right :confused: probably best to take the webpage's advice on eligibility.
Did you know by any chance which universities I would be able to apply for dentistry in my circumstance? (Not sure if it's best to ask here but thought I would try :))
Thanks again