Non-standard Applications Advice Requests

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by qwerty1234, Aug 3, 2018.

1. canUhearMe?

canUhearMe? New Member

If you are going to pursue honours I would be cautious and highly vigilant. Ensure that you're project is feasible, whilst Honours class 1 (H1) can be achieved even with an unsuccessful study, you will have to be exceptional in terms of your delivery of findings. Certain Uni's and GPA calculation methods align H1 =7, H2a = 6 ect. I consider it to be quite risky. Perhaps further course work may be of lower risk in the face of uncertain research, especially if you are new to the realm of scientific research.

2. Aus2018

Aus2018 New Member

Overall UMAT Score:180
    Section One:67
    UAC rank assessed: 99.95
    Preferred University:
    Uni Adelaide/ UNSW/Monash/JMP
    Course Type:
    Medicine
    Application type: School leaver with overseas Y12 result (not IB)
    State: NSW
    Rural:
    no
    Indigenous Applicant: no
    GWS: no
    Other Bonuses: no
    Just graduated from overseas high school in June 2018 and have UAC QAS assessed result as 99.95. Is this result equivalent to the ATAR?
    UAC advised that as my result is not AUS Y12, I will not be competing with the Y12 pool but in another pool. Do you have any info on this ?
    Does this apply to other States?
    Do other States have QAS service?
    I have already applied to the above Uni and what are my chances?

3. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Afaik apart from rural/EAS Unsw/JMP have one pool for combined Y12s & non-standards (=uni students). This advice seems odd as what other pool can they put you in?

Unsw mentions just two groups: Y12s with Aus ATAR/OP/IB (or equivalent), or uni students. You are not uni student so it's likely you will be considered as Y12 with an equiv ATAR. For Monash & Adelaide VTAC/SATAC will work out the equiv ATAR for you but you need to keep an eye on them. Last year one student was given 99+ in two states yet only 93 in another and had to appeal to get it corrected.

You should get interviews at these 4 unis with about 50/50 chances at Unsw/Monash, 25% at JMP/Adelaide.

4. Aus2018

Aus2018 New Member

Many thanks for the advice.
    Do you think I will get an interview with USyd for DDMP?

5. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Assuming your 99.95 is what UAC use (and it seems they will given they the ones who’ve told you this), then yes, I would think so.

6. Alphie

Alphie New Member

Hey guys,

I am a current year 12 student in Sydney, and was looking to get into undergrad medicine by 2020. I was just wondering if I do a science degree and the UMAT, will my ATAR from the previous year still be taken into account by the universities, or is it strictly just the current year of university studies with the UMAT.

And by any chance, does anyone know how hard it is to get into med, after 1 year of studying at uni?

Thanks

7. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    There are many well researched threads here at MSO that will readily answer these questions. I suggest you have a bit of a look around.

I'd start here
    [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards
    Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 3:56 PM