Non-standard Applications Advice Requests

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by qwerty1234, Aug 3, 2018.

1. canUhearMe?

canUhearMe? New Member

If you are going to pursue honours I would be cautious and highly vigilant. Ensure that you're project is feasible, whilst Honours class 1 (H1) can be achieved even with an unsuccessful study, you will have to be exceptional in terms of your delivery of findings. Certain Uni's and GPA calculation methods align H1 =7, H2a = 6 ect. I consider it to be quite risky. Perhaps further course work may be of lower risk in the face of uncertain research, especially if you are new to the realm of scientific research.

2. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Afaik apart from rural/EAS Unsw/JMP have one pool for combined Y12s & non-standards (=uni students). This advice seems odd as what other pool can they put you in?

Unsw mentions just two groups: Y12s with Aus ATAR/OP/IB (or equivalent), or uni students. You are not uni student so it's likely you will be considered as Y12 with an equiv ATAR. For Monash & Adelaide VTAC/SATAC will work out the equiv ATAR for you but you need to keep an eye on them. Last year one student was given 99+ in two states yet only 93 in another and had to appeal to get it corrected.

You should get interviews at these 4 unis with about 50/50 chances at Unsw/Monash, 25% at JMP/Adelaide.

3. Aus2018

Aus2018 New Member

Many thanks for the advice.
    Do you think I will get an interview with USyd for DDMP?

4. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Assuming your 99.95 is what UAC use (and it seems they will given they the ones who’ve told you this), then yes, I would think so.

5. Alphie

Alphie New Member

Hey guys,

I am a current year 12 student in Sydney, and was looking to get into undergrad medicine by 2020. I was just wondering if I do a science degree and the UMAT, will my ATAR from the previous year still be taken into account by the universities, or is it strictly just the current year of university studies with the UMAT.

And by any chance, does anyone know how hard it is to get into med, after 1 year of studying at uni?

Thanks

6. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    There are many well researched threads here at MSO that will readily answer these questions. I suggest you have a bit of a look around.

I'd start here
    [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards
    Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. thrway7

thrway7 New Member

Hi, I'm currently a first year undergraduate doing a double degree course. In my UAC application when they asked for my tertiary qualifications, they also asked "how long have you studied for" and I stupidly put "6 months" because that was how long I had studied at the time of application. They've made it so I can't change that now, so should I make a new "qualification" with "1 year" ??

Also, JMP states that tertiary transfers "must have completed a minimum of one full-time year (EFTSL = 1), or equivalent part time, in a single program of approved study at a higher education institution. Study undertaken across two or more programs cannot be combined to satisfy the one full-time year of study requirement."

Does that mean that 1 year of doing courses for both my degrees doesn't count for JMP? And i'll be considered as having a gap year?

Thanks heaps

maia.rose likes this.
  8. mick

mick New Member

Hey guys, graduated a few years ago and my GPA was 4.87, just wondering if it would even be worth applying vs just doing another undegrad?

If another undergraduate, which bachelor would you suggest, I'm in Melbourne so any of those uni's would be fine.

Thanks everyone.

9. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Your current GPA may be eligible for JMP (in NSW) who require a “close to credit average”, but that’s about it.

I also believe some grad entry Med unis use the GPA from your first bachelor degree regardless of whether you’ve done additional study, so starting a new degree might not help. Crow can probably advise you further.

10. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    Yep mick, the JMP is probably your only option currently. Graduate entry schools via GEMSAS won’t consider your results from any other degree until it is completed (or it will be completed in the year you apply). This also applies for Flinders. I’d agree your best bet is to start a new degree (one that will allow you to follow an alternative career path) and apply via the graduate entry pathway, as well as sitting UCAT and applying for JMP, WSU and potentially UNSW (depending on your ATAR) and JCU (depending on your written application + rurality) as a non-standard applicant each year along the way. Good luck :)

11. mick

mick New Member

LMG!
    Crow
    This has been super helpful thanks so much!

Any advice on which degrees to look at? I'm assuming any is fine so long as I can pick up anatomy/physiology/biochemistry in second year?

12. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Most grad med unis don’t have pre-reqs, but given you’ve mentioned your interest in Melbourne unis specifically, then yeah, to open up UoM make sure you tick off theirs.

To be honest, you can do just about anything. My main advice is to choose something you’re interested in (preferably a career degree like paramedic or physio or nursing or similar in a non-health field where you can do some breadth subjects to tick off the pre-reqs) regardless, rather than just something you’d do to get into Med because, purely based on statistics, you’re more likely to not get into Med than you are to get in. You don’t want to be stuck with another degree that isn’t what you want to do (assuming this is the case with your first bachelor).

In might also be worth looking into the Monash program where a certain number of their own students are selected into Med each year. I’m not sure if this is open to non-school leavers/people not in their first degree, but if it is, doing this new bachelor at Monash might re-open that door for you, too (which would otherwise be very closed).

ETA: https://www.monash.edu/study/course...ical-science-and-medicine-m6011?domestic=true

It looks like the options are Science, Biomedical Science (probably don’t do these!), Pharmacy, or Physiotherapy (much better choices) to open up the Monash grad pathway.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    acbard9 and Crow like this.
  13. Crow

Griffith MD
    I’m about 90% sure this is only for Biomed (NOT recommended) or Physio students at Monash, so unless mick is keen to follow the Physio path (a great career in its own right, by the way) this might not help them, unfortunately. (Happy to be corrected here though - I’ve never looked too closely at Monash as it’s never been an option for me).

14. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Edited my post above: pharmacy or physio would be the go if mick were interested in either.

15. mick

mick New Member

Crow LMG!

You guys have been so helpful, my original degree was actually biomed, unfortunately my youth got the better of me!

I would definitely consider physio since I have a pretty keen interest in human movement and enjoy working on my mobility, flexibility and range of movement.

I think I might take 12 months and do the ucat and apply for the undergraduate pathways and then reassess at the end of 2019.

Do you guys happen to have a list of all the Australian medical schools that have prerequisite subjects?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2018
  16. Crow

Griffith MD
    Me too! :(
    It’s a very long list ;)
    - UniMelb
    That’s the only current one as far as I’m aware, although UQ will be requiring some anatomy and physiology prerequisites for 2020 entry and beyond, IIRC.

LMG! likes this.
  17. mick

mick New Member

Crow
    Just wondering if you could link me to the WSU non standard entry requirements? I was looking at the page and could only find general applicants, which has a GPA requirement that I don't meet.

18. Josht4971

Josht4971 Guest

Just realised I did the same thing, would this have any adverse affects on my application cause I know unsw requires atleast 3/4 of a fte to be considered?

Did just email Uac regarding it tho

19. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    You're a general applicant. Your current GPA won't cut it for WSU, only (possibly) JMP as mentioned above. WSU will open up for you if/when you start a new degree.

ETA: for clarity, the JMP is the Joint Medical Program between Uni of Newcastle and Uni of New England.

20. Crow

Griffith MD
    To add to this mick, if your ATAR was above 95.5, my understanding is that WSU will use that instead and you'll have met the academic rank hurdle requirement (even though your current GPA isn't above the requirement).

ETA: As LMG! has pointed out, this only applies to those without a completed degree.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018