Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

MD10

Lurker
Hi guys, Just wanted to clarify about the admission as a non standard applicant,
I've heard that those you would have to be either currently studying or graduated at the University of Adelaide in order to be admitted to the Bachelor of Dental Surgery program,is this true? and how about the MBBS program? If we are (interstate applicants) allowed to apply for it, is there a higher UMAT cut off required as well?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hi guys, Just wanted to clarify about the admission as a non standard applicant,
I've heard that those you would have to be either currently studying or graduated at the University of Adelaide in order to be admitted to the Bachelor of Dental Surgery program,is this true? and how about the MBBS program? If we are (interstate applicants) allowed to apply for it, is there a higher UMAT cut off required as well?

It's the other way around. The MBBS requirements for non standard entry is people who are currently studying at Adelaide (and without a having a degree prior); No other unis unfortunately.

The BDS lets student from every uni apply! (No higher UMAT cut off)

defraggle

Yep, not restriction on place of study. My undergrad grades weren't fab so I finished my masters from CSU and got a the GPA requirement that way. UMAT requirements still the same

macyfyx

Hi, I am an international student applying into University of Adelaide.

I'm hoping to get into Dentistry through Tertiary Transfer...

But I don't know which course to apply - Bachelor of Biomedical Science or Bachelor of Health Science. What is the difference between the two courses?

Which do you think I should go for to stand a higher chance in getting into dentistry :)

I also understand that I would have to take PQA + oral assessment as part of the application process into dentistry. May I know how are they like?

I am looking into July 2015 intake for Health science/biomed science but am currently still confused between the two and I don't know which to choose...

Appreciate any advice and help on this!! Thank you :)

defraggle

It doesn't matter what course you do, i would do a course that you're interested in and that you can score a good GPA in. I got in with a 5.7 for an MBA after having a career in IT for 15 years.

That said, if you do get in, having done a health sciences course will have given you the physiology, histology, biology and bio-chemistry background that would make first year BDS easier.

If you're only starting in July, I'm guessing you'll be looking at the 2017 intake as you won't have anything on your transcript in time for next year's intake?

Hope that helps!

defraggle

It's awesome. Can't wait until we do more clinic (once a week seems almost forever between sessions). Program is very integrated so it is a firehose of content which means you need to keep up. But it's what I've always dreamed of doing so wouldn't have it any other way!

la pulga

Does anyone know if it is possible to get accepted into University of Adelaide, after completing 1 year of Health Science First Year (HSFY) at the University of Otago? Like will they take **BOTH** my HSFY grades & High School grades into consideration. Thanks :)