Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard GPA Requirements

canUhearMe?

Hi all,

I've tried to contact Bond directly and have scoured MSO but haven't been able to find realistic GPA benchmarks for Bond Med for non-standard students, hoping someone can shed some light on this for 2019 entry

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Bond uses GPA purely as a benchmark for entry to psychometric testing. The lowest MSO-reported GPA that got through to psychometric testing was 6.14 - whether the cutoff was lower than this we cannot confirm. If you hear back from Bond please let us know.

Last edited:

canUhearMe?

Bond uses GPA purely as a benchmark for entry to psychometric testing. The lowest MSO-reported GPA that got through to psychometric testing was 6.14 - whether the cutoff was lower than this we cannot confirm. If you hear back from Bond please let us know.
Thanks Crow, I have sent off emails to Bond and will call again tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated with any new information.

canUhearMe?

Still yet to get further confirmations but some useful info for non-standards:
- 6 GPA to meet threshold but it is competitive
- 1 year full time of tertiary study: 50/50 Atar/GPA or 50/50 GPA( first degree)/GPA (second degree)
- 1.5 years full time GPA will over-ride the 50/50 considerations and rule out considerations on previous tertiary GPA or Atar scores

hope this is useful, if anyone has info to add please do!

B2

Hi all,

I've tried to contact Bond directly and have scoured MSO but haven't been able to find realistic GPA benchmarks for Bond Med for non-standard students, hoping someone can shed some light on this for 2019 entry
For students that have completed 1.5 years of full time study, a GPA as low as 5.9 was offered a place in psychometric testing.

Reactions: May

greengem

For students that have completed 1.5 years of full time study, a GPA as low as 5.9 was offered a place in psychometric testing.
Has a non-standard ever got an actual offer for medicine at bond (after the interview) with a 6.5 or lower GPA?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Has a non-standard ever got an actual offer for medicine at bond (after the interview) with a 6.5 or lower GPA?
Yes - after a student has progressed to the psychometric testing, progression to interview is based 100% on results of the testing, and place offers are then made 100% on interview result. A student with a 6.0 GPA has an equivalent chance of a place offer as a student with a 7.0 GPA once they have passed the initial hurdle and made it to the psychometric testing.

marmar

Lurker
Hi all
Does anyone know whether Bond just looks at GPA or QTAC selection rank for entry to psychometric test?!

May

Hey, can someone help me out, I'm quite stressed...
my gpa is 6.7/7 (Ist year of uni)
Atar 99.3
I am Non-standard and non-rural - any chance of interview offers for bond university?
oh and I'm from NZ :)

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Hey, can someone help me out, I'm quite stressed...
my gpa is 6.7/7 (Ist year of uni)
Atar 99.3
I am Non-standard and non-rural - any chance of interview offers for bond university?
oh and I'm from NZ :)
The first step is an invite to complete a psychometric assessment. Based on last year, yes, you will receive an invite for this.

Reactions: May

greengem

The first step is an invite to complete a psychometric assessment. Based on last year, yes, you will receive an invite for this.
Hi,
Do we know the actual cut off for psychometric test invites or are we basing this off MSO reported data?
Thanks

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Hi,
Do we know the actual cut off for psychometric test invites or are we basing this off MSO reported data?
Thanks
The cutoff changes every year depending on the scores of the applicant pool; it's not a set value. We estimate what the cutoff is based off whatever the lowest reported score is to receive an invite to psychometric testing, but we can't guarantee others that aren't on MSO didn't receive an invite with lower scores. However, it helps when we know what the highest GPA that didn't receive an invite was, as then we can greatly narrow down the range that the cutoff falls in for that specific year.

TLDR: It's based off MSO data :D

greengem

The cutoff changes every year depending on the scores of the applicant pool; it's not a set value. We estimate what the cutoff is based off whatever the lowest reported score is to receive an invite to psychometric testing, but we can't guarantee others that aren't on MSO didn't receive an invite with lower scores. However, it helps when we know what the highest GPA that didn't receive an invite was, as then we can greatly narrow down the range that the cutoff falls in for that specific year.

TLDR: It's based off MSO data :D
Thank you! So up above B2 mentioned a 5.9 receiving an invite, was that for last year's applicant pool?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Thank you! So up above B2 mentioned a 5.9 receiving an invite, was that for last year's applicant pool?
Well technically it was this year's applicant pool, but yes, it was the most recent year - and incidentally the first year Bond ran the psychometric testing. You won't be able to apply to Bond until February next year iirc - applications aren't open through QTAC until then, and you won't start class until May 2019 as Bond is a private university that runs with trimesters.

Kinetica

I recall looking last year but cannot for the life of me find anything relating to 9 or 10 year rule. That is if you completed your degree more than 9 or 10 years ago you not eligible. Have they removed this restriction?

A1

Admissions Speculator
I recall looking last year but cannot for the life of me find anything relating to 9 or 10 year rule. That is if you completed your degree more than 9 or 10 years ago you not eligible. Have they removed this restriction?
It's in this table > Medical Program* entry assessment table
Undergraduate or graduate diploma or master’s qualifications (completed greater than 9 years immediately preceding the close of applications) are ineligible. You need to complete one of the following:
Complete an undergraduate program; or
Complete minimum of 1 year full time equivalent in a graduate diploma or master’s coursework program.
You must apply as a graduate applicant.

MyMonkey

Hi

I had a gpa of I think 6.2. However bond doesn’t release how they calculate the GPA. As mine was a completed masters degree it may have been considered an automatic 7 for example. It will never be known. I completed a bachelors a long time ago in Science and my masters was completely unrelated and haven’t touched anything sciencey in a long time. I managed to get through and passed my first year and would tell any person with GPA of even 5.7 and above to apply ! Old and young doesn’t matter! Go for it!