Non Standard Griffith Dentistry

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by jc0517, Nov 26, 2017.

1. futuredentist

futuredentist New Member

I havent enrolled for the papers yet. Does anyone know what day the course starts? Is it the 19th or 26th of feb?

2. jc0517

jc0517 New Member

I believe classes start on the 26th (someone correct me if I’m wrong). As for the timetable, mine looks pretty messy and hectic.

futuredentist likes this.
  3. Sea Sponge

Sea Sponge New Member

Are you guys going to try and get credits for previous studies? I can probably get a few of the intro chem/bio/anatomy courses credited but it's been a while since I did them. Do you guys see any benefit in re-doing them (although when I did them, I remember hating it all)?

4. kyleb

kyleb Dentistry

Haven’t finished mine but it will be messy. I have friends in dent and they have to miss lectures to go to labs/tuts and then watch the lectures online. I can already tell that’ll be the case for most.

Classes start on the 26th

The week before is orientation. The campus will be buzzing

Might be good to get there and have a look around (especially the health sciences building) if you’ve never set foot on the campus.
    Don’t think they’ll accept any credits unless it’s the exact same course. They’re funny with that kinda stuff because they’ll just tell you that it’s a prerequisite in order to do the next subjects and you should just do it anyway

Just give them a call :)

5. NatalieLee

NatalieLee Mlckay

GPA 7
    got an offer yesterday
    is there any facebook page or a group for Dent 2018 intake?

acbard9 likes this.
  6. Sea Sponge

Sea Sponge New Member

Another Australian institution

This website shows the equivalent courses, quite a few of mine are pre-approved already. Have a look, you guys might get lucky too.

Congrats Natalie, I was wondering if you ended up getting in last year as I had the same GPA as you last year! The facebook group is here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/403061760129394

It's an official Griffith group though so I think you have to have enrolled and have a proper Griffith email before they accept you into the group.

Does anyone know what the parking situation is like on campus? Is a parking permit worth purchasing?

kyleb likes this.
  7. kyleb

kyleb Dentistry

Sweet
    I’m sure that’ll be handy for people who have done science courses :)

You’re the best judge as to how confident you feel with what you’ve done I guess

Parking is good if you’re going early mornings or late arvo... otherwise it fills up pretty quickly. You could obviously sit and wait for people to leave... just be a bit earlier and not 5 mins before class starts.

Other options:
    - park in the suburbs and walk 5-10 mins (many of these streets are now 2/3 hour parking)
    - parks a few tram/bus stops away in suburbs and tram/bus
    - bike/walk

8. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    General permit: need to get to uni by around 7.30 or you won’t get a park. Good if you have lots of 8am starts. Multi story parking: guaranteed park at any time of day, but pricier and further away from where your classes are.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    kyleb likes this.
  9. kjz

kjz New Member

I am just curious if you've got an offer for Griffith Dent via QTAC? As you noticed there are not many school leavers compared to non-standards. QTAC stats showed only 2 QLD school leavers last year. Maybe there were some interstate school leavers, but my speculation is the number should be similar to QLD's.

kyleb likes this.
  10. MildTurtle

MildTurtle New Member

I know de wae
    myGriffith is not lagging for me brudda
    "cluck"
    I will show you de wae at Griffith

11. acbard9

acbard9 BSc (Pharmacology) III

I got it sorted fam, but lmao *cluck*.
    I think it was just my internet actually, but what I ended up doing was trying to access myGriffith in different ways (e.g. via the email they sent me, directly etc. etc.)
    One of the methods worked but I don't know which one. Again, it could've been my internet.

12. DentalPerfectionist

DentalPerfectionist New Member

Hey guys,

Congrats on getting in. I'm from Canada, really looking forward to meeting you all. Where are you guys planning on staying?

13. acbard9

acbard9 BSc (Pharmacology) III

Er... I can't seem to join the Facebook group? It just leads me to a general Griffith page?

14. Sea Sponge

Sea Sponge New Member

Did you verify your Griffith email address first? I couldn't see it until my email was verified.

Anyone else notice that a few of the class options have already filled up (I thought sign-on's normally happen a few weeks post-offers!)? My timetable looks okay although isn't the best!

acbard9 likes this.
  15. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    Shouldn't be too hard to improve your timetable if you need to; there are colossal amounts of students enrolling in foundation year health courses, many of which will unenrol or change their timetable between now and ~week 3 of the trimester. Keep logging on and checking regularly and spots in different labs will open up. Also, each of the lecture series is repeated 2-3 times a week for ANP/CTR/Chem so you can attend whichever one suits your timetable best, and you can pretty much turn up to any Chem tutorial you want regardless of what is on your timetable.

kyleb likes this.
  16. kyleb

kyleb Dentistry

Agreed with Crow

Also notice that many classes run every second week.. and some lectures only week 1, 2 and 12 for example

Best thing is print out your enrolled timetable and actually make notes of the actual (already full) classes that suit you. Show up and just see if there’s spots. The tutors are pretty chill with it as long as there’s seats available and it’s not an orgy in there!

Good luck