Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

Just a question, this course is basically structured in a way where you complete the 3-yr bachelor of dental health science degree and then you go straight into Master of Dentistry? Is there a selection criteria for Master of Dent or is entry basically guaranteed as long as you complete the DentHsc degree? Thanks in advance! :)

Just a question, this course is basically structured in a way where you complete the 3-yr bachelor of dental health science degree and then you go straight into Master of Dentistry? Is there a selection criteria for Master of Dent or is entry basically guaranteed as long as you complete the DentHsc degree? Thanks in advance! :)

Hi there! All you need to do is pass all courses in the Bachelor degree to enter, so entrance is guaranteed :) CONGRATS GUYS!!! (Im in 2nd Year btw hahaha)

Hi guys, do I have to be a full time student or at least have done one year of my degree as a full time student (ie: completed 8 units in one year) to apply for griffith dent as a non standard?

DrLeo

Hi chickenhead,

Yes I believe you have to have completed 1 full workload year (8 units) to be considered for Griffith Dent.

Best of luck and congratulations to all of those that have received offers.

Hi chickenhead,

Yes I believe you have to have completed 1 full workload year (8 units) to be considered for Griffith Dent.

Best of luck and congratulations to all of those that have received offers.
Thanks Dr Leo. Did you email them about this?

Hey guys, so I was lucky enough to get an offer. Just wondering if anyone is making the interstate move from Melbourne? Also are there any pages to help find accommodation near campus?

A1

Rookie Doc
Just a question, this course is basically structured in a way where you complete the 3-yr bachelor of dental health science degree and then you go straight into Master of Dentistry?

Most of you know but in case someone doesn't, the Master course is full-fee and costs around 110k for the two years. I think you can put it under FEE-HELP, total debt will be around 145k (vs 55k if all 5 years were CSP).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys, so I was lucky enough to get an offer. Just wondering if anyone is making the interstate move from Melbourne? Also are there any pages to help find accommodation near campus?
Hi SilentPhantom96, congratulations on your offer! With regards to your second question: will you be bringing a car to Gold Coast or are you relying on public transport? Do you want to be living with other people, other uni students, by yourself etc? If you're looking to live with other Griffith students close to campus, try this site Griffith Gold Coast Share Accommodation | QLD 4215 | Flatmates.com.au Some of the places are pretty pricy but there's some reasonably priced places if you take a good look. If you are bringing a car and are willing to live a bit further away from campus, let me know what sort of place you are looking for (e.g. close to the beach or major shopping centres, close to nightlife etc) and I'll try to suggest some options. If you have other Gold Coast or Griffith specific questions let me know!

DrLeo

Hi chickenhead.

No but back in the day when I was applying for Dent at Griffith I made the enquiry. I was studying a medical degree but due to transfer credits and a trisemester model I only had 7 units of credit after 1 full year with another 3 units of credit coming in 2 weeks after the offers were out. I was wondering why I didn’t get an offer and that’s when I phoned them and found out.
I persisted and got in the following year and I believe the same applies now.

Hi SilentPhantom96, congratulations on your offer! With regards to your second question: will you be bringing a car to Gold Coast or are you relying on public transport? Do you want to be living with other people, other uni students, by yourself etc? If you're looking to live with other Griffith students close to campus, try this site Griffith Gold Coast Share Accommodation | QLD 4215 | Flatmates.com.au Some of the places are pretty pricy but there's some reasonably priced places if you take a good look. If you are bringing a car and are willing to live a bit further away from campus, let me know what sort of place you are looking for (e.g. close to the beach or major shopping centres, close to nightlife etc) and I'll try to suggest some options. If you have other Gold Coast or Griffith specific questions let me know!
Thank you so much for the reply. Honestly, it's my first time living away from home so being around people from my course would be great.

Ideally, I'd like to live as close to campus as possible without breaking the bank. The website looks great so I will look through it. Are there any other areas that you would recommend? I don't think I'll be able to bring a car so being close to uni would help.

Hi chickenhead.

No but back in the day when I was applying for Dent at Griffith I made the enquiry. I was studying a medical degree but due to transfer credits and a trisemester model I only had 7 units of credit after 1 full year with another 3 units of credit coming in 2 weeks after the offers were out. I was wondering why I didn’t get an offer and that’s when I phoned them and found out.
So you are saying that you had only done 7 units before the offers were out, and you received the credit for another 3 units two weeks after they released the offers. You were rejected because the total number of units you had was 7. I understand that.

My situation is that I've done 12 units, but my workload was 3 units a semester (The normal workload is 4 units a semester but I think I'm still considered as a full time student) . I'm going to do 2 units this semester and 3 units next semester. By the time I apply for Griffith dent, I would have completed 17 units. Are they going to reject my application or mark it down because I only studied 3 units (instead of 4 units) a semester.

Hi chickenhead.

btw, why did you drop out of Med?

DrLeo

You’ll have to check with the uni but I’m sure you’ll be ok as I’m pretty sure others got in without doing 4 units every semester, as is your case.
I always wants to do dentistry. I love the procedural and practical aspect of it all. A lot was for the lifestyle it provides. It doesn’t take 12-15 years to get fully qualified and make decent money which a lot of Med students are unaware of. I know a lot of doctors that regret doing Med and wish they had done Dentistry but I guess that is entirely up to you as many will love either.

kyleb

Dentistry
Thank you so much for the reply. Honestly, it's my first time living away from home so being around people from my course would be great.

Ideally, I'd like to live as close to campus as possible without breaking the bank. The website looks great so I will look through it. Are there any other areas that you would recommend? I don't think I'll be able to bring a car so being close to uni would help.
Spam flatesmates, gumtree and realestate.com.au

People literally advertise anywhere

Also maybe think about living away from the uni and catching the tram (if you like the beach or find better accommodation elsewhere) ... it’s awesome and runs from Broadbeach to Helensvale. You could obviously still catch buses and trams everywhere.

Many students (especially internationals) live in Eg. surfers paradise in share accomodation and tram to uni as it’s easy to walk to one of the tram stops

Just some thoughts

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Anyone else having trouble logging in to myGriffith? It's been loading for me for ~20 mins!

EtA: Anyone know if the offer can be deferred to?
Cheers x I can't seem to find the information.

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble logging in to myGriffith? It's been loading for me for ~20 mins!

EtA: Anyone know if the offer can be deferred to?
Cheers x I can't seem to find the information.

I just tried logging into myGriffith and it worked. I remember reading on the QTAC page that the course can't be deferred. Has anyone looked at the timetable yet/what's it like?