Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

jerem19

Is it needed to have 48 credit points in first year if i am applying as a non standard?
I have credit points from a previous degree but not sure if that counts in the total when i apply end of this year. Basically I am trying to decide if i should study 4 or 3 units this semester so I can aim to get a high GPA.

A1

Rookie Doc
Is it needed to have 48 credit points in first year if i am applying as a non standard?
I have credit points from a previous degree but not sure if that counts in the total when i apply end of this year. Basically I am trying to decide if i should study 4 or 3 units this semester so I can aim to get a high GPA.
It depends which med school.
- UNSW apparently will take all your tertiary studies into consideration so GPA will be combined of previous degree plus the new units, whatever the number of credit points.

- JMP uses only the most recent study program provided it's 1+ year FTE (48+ credit points). If less than 1 year JMP uses your previous degree as your most recent. (But the hurdle is quite low you shouldn't have a problem either way)

- WSU is similar to JMP except it's 1+ semester FTE (and higher hurdle for 1 semester vs 1 year). JCU I believe is like this as well.

jerem19

It depends which med school.
- UNSW apparently will take all your tertiary studies into consideration so GPA will be combined of previous degree plus the new units, whatever the number of credit points.

- JMP uses only the most recent study program provided it's 1+ year FTE (48+ credit points). If less than 1 year JMP uses your previous degree as your most recent. (But the hurdle is quite low you shouldn't have a problem either way)

- WSU is similar to JMP except it's 1+ semester FTE (and higher hurdle for 1 semester vs 1 year). JCU I believe is like this as well.

Firstly, thankyou for the fast reply!
hmmm. So I have credit points from prior learning, i wonder if thats included in my end of year overall result?
I wonder if its better to just do one full year (48 credit points) or 3 each sem (36 credit points + my previous credit)

I am a bit confused, but maybe to be considered for all the universities, i should do a full year ?

A1

Rookie Doc
hmmm. So I have credit points from prior learning, i wonder if thats included in my end of year overall result?
Basically it's yes for UNSW, no for the other 3 schools. You said you have credit points from a previous degree but didn't say if it was a completed degree or how many credit points, makes my answer difficult to be succint.

Your previous degree and what you are about to start are two separate study programs. UNSW apparently will count *all* the grade points of both programs into a combined GPA, so doesn't matter whether you do 48 new credit pts or less.

If you do 48 new credit pts, WSU JCU JMP will use the GPA of these 48 credit pts only.

If you do 36 new credit pts
- WSU JCU will use the GPA of these 36 credit pts only but you incur penalties (WSU requires a higher GPA to meet the hurdle, for JCU it converts to a substantially lower Selection rank)
- JMP will not use this GPA since it's less than 1 year FTE. They use your previous "degree" instead, however if that was also less than 1 year FTE they go back to your ATAR.

Hope it's clearer this time.

jerem19

Basically it's yes for UNSW, no for the other 3 schools. You said you have credit points from a previous degree but didn't say if it was a completed degree or how many credit points, makes my answer difficult to be succint.

Your previous degree and what you are about to start are two separate study programs. UNSW apparently will count *all* the grade points of both programs into a combined GPA, so doesn't matter whether you do 48 new credit pts or less.

If you do 48 new credit pts, WSU JCU JMP will use the GPA of these 48 credit pts only.

If you do 36 new credit pts
- WSU JCU will use the GPA of these 36 credit pts only but you incur penalties (WSU requires a higher GPA to meet the hurdle, for JCU it converts to a substantially lower Selection rank)
- JMP will not use this GPA since it's less than 1 year FTE. They use your previous "degree" instead, however if that was also less than 1 year FTE they go back to your ATAR.

Hope it's clearer this time.

Thank you so much! Yes i understand. And to add, i have 30 credit points from before, recorded as RPL, from an uncompleted degree.

I think perhaps it would be best to do a full load this year then (48 credit points).

dco

Hi
Which medical and dental schools accept a student after one year of University study .
Should I take the Ucat in the first year
Thanks

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Please read at a few pages of this thread at the very least.

Also go to the Medicine Entrance > (2020) Updated Guide to read the criteria for all the universities

vrish

Hi Everyone, sorry this might have been asked already.

To apply as a non standard to Curtin as an interstate applicant, are there any special requirements ?
i completed my degree 10 years ago . will that become an issue ?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi Everyone, sorry this might have been asked already.

To apply as a non standard to Curtin as an interstate applicant, are there any special requirements ?
i completed my degree 10 years ago . will that become an issue ?

You need to sit UCAT and an interview (if successful) and the pre-requisites are English and Chemistry. You may have to complete foundation courses in these, especially Chemistry. I'd contact Curtin to double check exactly which bridging course they require. Often, if your degree was completed in English (the language, not the subject) then this is enough to meet the English pre-requisite, but just double check this, too.

Most non-standard courses don't have a recency of study clause like graduate entry universities do, so the 10 years probably isn't a factor, but again, given you need to contact them about pre-requisites, just ask.

The other special requirement as an interstater is that your degree is complete, which yours clearly is, so you're all set on that front.

I believe Curtin only does internal transfers for "non-standards". Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The OP isn't enquiring about internal transfer (you have to be a current Curtin student to be eligible and this person is interstate and has completed their degree).

They are an non-standard applicant, yes, but I'm not sure where you got the internal transfer part from? It's not relevant to this applicant (and Curtin call it 'course switching').

Reactions: 2xq

2xq

Allied Health Member
ah mb
You need to sit UCAT and an interview (if successful) and the pre-requisites are English and Chemistry. You may have to complete foundation courses in these, especially Chemistry. I'd contact Curtin to double check exactly which bridging course they require. Often, if your degree was completed in English (the language, not the subject) then this is enough to meet the English pre-requisite, but just double check this, too.

Most non-standard courses don't have a recency of study clause like graduate entry universities do, so the 10 years probably isn't a factor, but again, given you need to contact them about pre-requisites, just ask.

The other special requirement as an interstater is that your degree is complete, which yours clearly is, so you're all set on that front.

The OP isn't enquiring about internal transfer (you have to be a current Curtin student to be eligible and this person is interstate and has completed their degree).

They are an non-standard applicant, yes, but I'm not sure where you got the internal transfer part from? It's not relevant to this applicant (and Curtin call it 'course switching').

vrish

thanks @LMG for clarifying.

With regard to 10 year rule, WSU confirmed me last year they have 10 year limit on the latest degree. same with CSU (Qualifications that are more than 10 years old prior to the year of entry will not be considered.)

so, technically, I am eligible only for JMP and may be Curtin

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
thanks @LMG for clarifying.

With regard to 10 year rule, WSU confirmed me last year they have 10 year limit on the latest degree. same with CSU (Qualifications that are more than 10 years old prior to the year of entry will not be considered.)

so, technically, I am eligible only for JMP and may be Curtin
What about JCU and UNSW?

vrish

What about JCU and UNSW?
UNSW's non standard entry is only for B. Med science students right ? they sit the UCAT in their second year by completing 16 units in the 2 years time.
Atleast thats what my assumption is.

No idea about JCU. will have to do more research on this

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
No, anyone can apply nonstandard to UNSW. BMedSci graduates skip first year I believe.

Hi, where is the UNSW website page for non standard entry? i cannot find it on their medicine page and can only see the other pathways.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, where is the UNSW website page for non standard entry? i cannot find it on their medicine page and can only see the other pathways.

There's no special page. Non-standards and school leavers are both 'undergraduate applicants'.

There's no special page. Non-standards and school leavers are both 'undergraduate applicants'.

oh ok thank you, are there a select number of spots for non-standards or do we compete with all the school leavers the same level.