Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hello there,
I was wondering what universities I am able to apply for med as a non-standard applicant that is in Australia?
This question has been answered many times. Please have a read first.

WSU, UNSW, JMP, Curtin (if you have a completed degree), JCU, and Bond (FFP).

(Added my fave punctuation mark, the Oxford comma, to make it clearer the JCU degree isn’t FFP 😎: LMG)

Last edited by a moderator:

whatup245

Hi! I graduated last year with an atar of 93.85 and this year im studying datasci at unsw, hoping for non-standard spot in 2021. When i apply in august -september will my marks from the whole year be counted as a 1 year FTE? Also am i eligible for all the non-standard unis, provided I get the required marks. Im sorry if this has been asked before - just a bit confused.

bigyikes

WSU MD II
Hi! I graduated last year with an atar of 93.85 and this year im studying datasci at unsw, hoping for non-standard spot in 2021. When i apply in august -september will my marks from the whole year be counted as a 1 year FTE? Also am i eligible for all the non-standard unis, provided I get the required marks. Im sorry if this has been asked before - just a bit confused.
Yes, you will be counted as 1FTE (I'm pretty sure). You'll be eligible for all the non-standard unis bar Curtin (you'll have to wait till you've finished a degree to apply there). Bear in mind UNSW will use 50/50 ATAR/GPA, so unfortunately with 93.85 it's virtually impossible to get the required score for them. Depending on your GPA/WAM you'll have fair go for JMP, WSU, Bond and JCU.

A1

Rookie Doc

Adding to the reply above, make sure you will complete 8 units by end of year. With less than 1FTE JMP will use your ATAR and 93.85 isn't enough.

Less than 8 but 4+ units is okay for WSU but the hurdle is a little higher, 6.4 instead of 6.2 for 1FTE.

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hi guys so I was hoping for any advice
so I am a year 12 graduate and will be doing the pre medicine course at UOW and resiting Ucat, can I apply next year to wsu,jmp and stuff?and will I be considered equal to a year 12 graduate in terms of spots available?
thank u so much
Yes you can. There are no separate pools for non-standards at some unis (e.g. UNSW, JMP, WSU) but limited places at some e.g. JCU. Some unis will consider your GPA, some will consider your ATAR + GPA combination. Please read through the forum for more info as these questions have been answered many times before.

WIth regards to doing pre-med degree at UOW, you may want to read this thread: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys sorry another question but is it hard or easy to receive a good gpa in the UOW bachelor of pre med course
and whether JMP will use my star or gpa or a combination?
thank u
Nobody can answer that for you as it will depend on how you adjust to university in general and cope with the course content and assessment style of that degree. A side note, but I believe Sherlock has linked the common pitfalls thread to you already - I'd like to also strongly recommend you read about pitfall number 2 as a bachelor of pre med course will qualify you to do no job and could leave you empty handed.

JMP will use your GPA, but it's a hurdle requirement only.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys sorry another question but is it hard or easy to receive a good gpa in the UOW bachelor of pre med course
and whether JMP will use my star or gpa or a combination?
thank u

JMP will use your GPA if you have a full year of uni under your belt. I think they use ATAR if you have less than that.

As for whether any uni degree is "easy" for you, that's completely impossible for us to answer!

hey! so i know its listed in this thread but alot of people are saying that uq offers non standard entry? is this true or is it only for postgraduate via gamsat?

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
hey! so i know its listed in this thread but alot of people are saying that uq offers non standard entry? is this true or is it only for postgraduate via gamsat?
UQ does not allow for non standard entry into their medicine course. You can only apply as an undergraduate to get into provisional entry, or go through GAMSAT to do the postgraduate pathway. The one taht you are thinking about that does allow for non standard entry is UQ's dentistry program which is a bachelors.

I want to study med.
I completed 3/4 of CS degree with UNE. Up until the last semester, I had very good grades. In my last semester, I had to start work and abandon university- I failed all 4 units. So my GPA took a nose dive.
3 years later, I want to chase my dream career.

Can someone advise the best way for me to get into JMP? Will they consider my GPA before I failed my last semester units?

REGULAR JOE

Does anyone know the interview to place offer ratio for non gws students at Western Sydney? And are non standards pooled into the same catogory as school leavers?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone know the interview to place offer ratio for non gws students at Western Sydney? And are non standards pooled into the same catogory as school leavers?
From memory it’s roughly 3 times the number of interviewees as place offers, and yes, they are.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I want to study med.
I completed 3/4 of CS degree with UNE. Up until the last semester, I had very good grades. In my last semester, I had to start work and abandon university- I failed all 4 units. So my GPA took a nose dive.
3 years later, I want to chase my dream career.

Can someone advise the best way for me to get into JMP? Will they consider my GPA before I failed my last semester units?
Welcome to MSO! :)

The good news for you is that JMP uses a hurdle requirement only for GPA. You can check the GPA requirement (which changes depending on how much study you’ve completed) on the JMP website or here: [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

If your GPA (which will include your failed units, yes) is above the hurdle, then you don’t need to worry: selection for interview will be 100% from UCAT score and selection for place offers will be 100% from interview score. If it’s below the hurdle, you’ll need to complete further study to increase it.

Welcome to MSO! :)

The good news for you is that JMP uses a hurdle requirement only for GPA. You can check the GPA requirement (which changes depending on how much study you’ve completed) on the JMP website or here: [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

If your GPA (which will include your failed units, yes) is above the hurdle, then you don’t need to worry: selection for interview will be 100% from UCAT score and selection for place offers will be 100% from interview score. If it’s below the hurdle, you’ll need to complete further study to increase it.
Thank you so much. I've wanted to study med since before high school, but I was a 'tech-kid' and self-taught myself computer coding to pay my bills. I gave up on ever being able to study med because I didn't have a roof let alone somewhere to study, but now that I've been working as a software engineer for a few years and saved my money hard I can afford to chase my dream career. So I really appreciate you taking the time to guide me :)

jmds4

Lurker
Hey guys,
I’m a NSW 2019 year 12 graduate with a 99.15 ATAR.
Unfortunately I didn’t get a med offer anywhere as a school leaver, but I’m still interested in trying my chances at a non standard pathway in.
A few concerns I have is that I doubt my GPA will be as high as my ATAR, because of the nature of the course I’m taking.

What sort of GPA/UCAT combos would I need to stand a fair chance? And which universities would be my best hopes given that?

2019 HSC ATAR: 99.15
Predicted GPA: probably around a mid-credit average
Predicted UCAT: 90th-95th percentile.
How compétitive would a combination like this be for non-standard entry?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys,
I’m a NSW 2019 year 12 graduate with a 99.15 ATAR.
Unfortunately I didn’t get a med offer anywhere as a school leaver, but I’m still interested in trying my chances at a non standard pathway in.
A few concerns I have is that I doubt my GPA will be as high as my ATAR, because of the nature of the course I’m taking.

What sort of GPA/UCAT combos would I need to stand a fair chance? And which universities would be my best hopes given that?

A couple of weeks into first semester of your first university experience is probably a bit soon to decide you already know what grade you’re going to achieve!

Pop back after you’ve completed UCAT, received your scores, and have some Uni results to guide you. We will have an appropriate and dedicated thread set up at that point to ask these questions.

A1

Rookie Doc

Looking at it objectively, apart from Bond there are four schools with non-standard entry. You will need GPA 6.0+ for JCU and 6.5+ for UNSW to have some chances.

A sub-6 GPA makes no difference for the other two schools. WSU you'll already be eligible for with your ATAR and JMP you only need 4.7+, after that GPA doesn't affect how competitive. Your chances there are all on UCAT to get an interview and susequently the interview performance.