Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys, quick question, I’m a bit new to the whole GPA system

what GPA roughly corresponds / has the same value during med applications as a 99.0 atar?
Ultimately the conversion is largely irrelevant if you’re applying for non-standard entry medicine as most schools either a) separate non-standard applicants from school-leavers or b) use GPA as a hurdle requirement only. UNSW is the only one worth drawing a comparison to and if you Google “UAC GPA to ATAR conversion” you’ll find a table that’s used by UNSW.

AJ

Dear users,

Just a quick question surrounding what particular universities accept non-school leavers -

Further - what notional ATAR approximately would stand from a ~6.95 GPA undergraduate honours degree.

Many thanks.

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Dear users,

Just a quick question surrounding what particular universities accept non-school leavers -

Further - what notional ATAR approximately would stand from a ~6.95 GPA undergraduate honours degree.

Many thanks.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Dear users,

Many thanks.

Have a read through this thread for non-standard options, and then through the graduate entry threads (here and on Paging Dr) for those options if you have a completed degree.

Also, as far as I’m aware, there are no unis that will convert your GPA to an ATAR, they’ll just use your GPA. UNSW will use a combination of your GPA and ATAR (regardless of how long ago you attained it).

AJ

Thanks guys -

Yes I am aware of graduate entry pathways - was booked in to sit the GAMSAT etc for the first time this week however, as you know its been cancelled. So weighing up my alternate options with an open mind.

Further - I have a non-science background degree (already graduated), but, additionally, have completed part of another degree (a few units before starting my recently graduated degree) and a couple now that are science related. I understand I will be using my non-science background degree for entry. Is there preference for science degree's in non-standard entry and how will I prove that I have the chemistry prerequisites/ prerequisites if it does not form part of my recently graduated degree? Is there a section to upload proof in that regard?

Regards

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks guys -

Yes I am aware of graduate entry pathways - was booked in to sit the GAMSAT etc for the first time this week however, as you know its been cancelled. So weighing up my alternate options with an open mind.

Further - I have a non-science background degree (already graduated), but, additionally, have completed part of another degree (a few units before starting my recently graduated degree) and a couple now that are science related. I understand I will be using my non-science background degree for entry. Is there preference for science degree's in non-standard entry and how will I prove that I have the chemistry prerequisites/ prerequisites if it does not form part of my recently graduated degree? Is there a section to upload proof in that regard?

Regards

Nope, no preference (I’m a non-standard student from the BA pathway, it was absolutely not an issue). The TACs will access your entire tertiary history (even if not all of it is used to determine your GPA) so will see from there that you have completed tertiary level chemistry units. As long as they were completed relatively recently (for UTAS, when I applied, it was within 7 years) and are deemed equivalent, then you’re good to go. You could contact JCU and Curtin to confirm they’ll accept what you’ve done to be sure.

AJ

Excellent. Not quite sure how they will access partially completed degrees. I’m sure I am just overthinking it. Thanks for your response. Regards,

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Excellent. Not quite sure how they will access partially completed degrees. I’m sure I am just overthinking it. Thanks for your response. Regards,

It’s all part of your academic record. And, in UAC at least, there is a place to enter details of all previous study.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
my friend got a 2019 UAdel interview after taking a gap year (he graduated in 2018)
He'd be classified as a school-leaver then, not a non-standard applicant. A non-standard applicant has to have performed tertiary-level study.

Eleanor Rigby

I understand that with UNSW, applicants will be assessed on the basis of both high school results (ATAR) and tertiary studies results in a ratio of 50:50. Due to the recent pandemic, some university faculties are awarding either a Pass/Fail for Term 1. This will not be used in WAM calculations.
❓How will this affect applications into medicine at UNSW if the applicant is unable to achieve the best possible grade in all courses for the year?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I understand that with UNSW, applicants will be assessed on the basis of both high school results (ATAR) and tertiary studies results in a ratio of 50:50. Due to the recent pandemic, some university faculties are awarding either a Pass/Fail for Term 1. This will not be used in WAM calculations.
❓How will this affect applications into medicine at UNSW if the applicant is unable to achieve the best possible grade in all courses for the year?

If you dont get a WAM at all based on your first year uni they might just use your ATAR. It is impossible to know given the situation. If you would like, email UNSW admissions and ask.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

No one can give you an answer to this question unfortunately. The situation is fluid and is constantly changing. Given the recent changes to WAM calculation I am sure that the medical school will reconsider how they assess and rank applicants. It is best to directly email the department to get an answer.

Eleanor Rigby

Hi! I graduated last year with an atar of 93.85 and this year im studying datasci at unsw, hoping for non-standard spot in 2021. When i apply in august -september will my marks from the whole year be counted as a 1 year FTE? Also am i eligible for all the non-standard unis, provided I get the required marks. Im sorry if this has been asked before - just a bit confused.
Wondering if you could share your thoughts about your faculty if they have decided to move to a 'Pass/Fail grade' and how it might affect a non-standard application into a medicine course 2021?

Toms

Hey everyone, I graduated from high school a while ago and am about to complete my bachelor's degree next year. I was considering applying to medicine in Australia. I know I could have written the GAMSAT exam and apply to postgrad programs but I was unable to write the GAMSAT exam. However, I am writing the UCAT exam, if anyone has any information on what universities I can apply to and how grading works, please let me know. Thanks!