Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

angesangles

JMP the most recent. JPM may use the best of, but I’m not 100% sure. If not, it will be the most recent.
I think I might have to check

My initial degree I scored higher than my 2nd degree. Im pretty sure I did hear somewhere if that were the case, they would choose the best from 1 of the 2.

A1

Rookie Doc
I think I might have to check

My initial degree I scored higher than my 2nd degree. Im pretty sure I did hear somewhere if that were the case, they would choose the best from 1 of the 2.

JMP > Academic eligibility
"Your eligibility will be assessed based on your most recent program of study" (but you only need 4.3+ GPA)

JCU > Admissions Procedure
Clause 15.2.1 : "will be considered for eligibility for an offer ... based on their most recent course GPA"

We know WSU use best of ATAR/GPA if you have not graduated. Have also heard from Admissions they use best of if you have more than one GPA, however WSU Admissions' words can be sus at times.

Some guy

JMP > Academic eligibility
"Your eligibility will be assessed based on your most recent program of study" (but you only need 4.3+ GPA)

JCU > Admissions Procedure
Clause 15.2.1 : "will be considered for eligibility for an offer ... based on their most recent course GPA"

We know WSU use best of ATAR/GPA if you have not graduated. Have also heard from Admissions they use best of if you have more than one GPA, however WSU Admissions' words can be sus at times.
Can partially confirm the last sentence, but the WSU "best of" approach only applies if the GPA's are for unfinished degrees: if you have a GPA from a completed degree they use this in preference to any others.

Don't know what they do if you have two completed degrees, sorry. I'd guess it's "best of" again unless one of the degrees is higher, eg. a Masters.

angesangles

Can partially confirm the last sentence, but the WSU "best of" approach only applies if the GPA's are for unfinished degrees: if you have a GPA from a completed degree they use this in preference to any others.

Don't know what they do if you have two completed degrees, sorry. I'd guess it's "best of" again unless one of the degrees is higher, eg. a Masters.
I did my first Bachelor degree in Western Australia. Would it most likely mean that I have to transfer interstate, as its one of the lower requirement entrance courses in terms of GPA in Australia?

At the end of the day , a medical degree is a medical degree. Where you get it from doesnt matter.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I did my first Bachelor degree in Western Australia. Would it most likely mean that I have to transfer interstate, as its one of the lower requirement entrance courses in terms of GPA in Australia?

At the end of the day , a medical degree is a medical degree. Where you get it from doesnt matter.
Yes. WA doesn't have anything that might fit your criteria except for Curtin which selects on GPA and UCAT scores and has a limited number of seats for graduate students in their undergraduate program. However it is quite competitive and it seems like your GPA wasn't very high, so this is likely out of the question for you.

angesangles

Yes. WA doesn't have anything that might fit your criteria except for Curtin which selects on GPA and UCAT scores and has a limited number of seats for graduate students in their undergraduate program. However it is quite competitive and it seems like your GPA wasn't very high, so this is likely out of the question for you.
If I have a chance of entering medical school - in any way shape or form, Ill give it my best shot.

I enjoy study, and am currently pursuing my 4th degree- admittedly in a field of interest of mine but have come across senior units which have been a bit out of my depth. Its the first time I have heard of the JMP and to be honest I do think with my initial GPA from my 1st degree its a possibility. I know at the same time getting in medical school is competitive.

And I will admit that my WAM in my initial degree was around 64-65% (I converted this to a GPA after I finish my degree and equated to around a 4.9-5.1 GPA, and I've often thought that it wasn't good enough- especially for the WA schools.

Now based in NSW looking to finish these remaining few units of my 4th degree, moving to UNE/Newcastle doesn't bother me. Going ahead , I probably have to fully prepare properly for the UCAT.

Growing up , I didnt really have the network of students to associate to become a high scoring student or to get into a course such as this. (Dont want to use excuses but reflecting upon those years ago, my study technique wasn't that good )I think if you know people whether it be in your school, from your family or someone that you know that is in the industry face-to-face on a personal level it makes a huge difference. But being part of this forum , has made me see there is a window of opportunity.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
If I have a chance of entering medical school - in any way shape or form, Ill give it my best shot.

I enjoy study, and am currently pursuing my 4th degree- admittedly in a field of interest of mine but have come across senior units which have been a bit out of my depth. Its the first time I have heard of the JMP and to be honest I do think with my initial GPA from my 1st degree its a possibility. I know at the same time getting in medical school is competitive.

And I will admit that my WAM in my initial degree was around 64-65% (I converted this to a GPA after I finish my degree and equated to around a 4.9-5.1 GPA, and I've often thought that it wasn't good enough- especially for the WA schools.

Now based in NSW looking to finish these remaining few units of my 4th degree, moving to UNE/Newcastle doesn't bother me. Going ahead , I probably have to fully prepare properly for the UCAT.

Growing up , I didnt really have the network of students to associate to become a high scoring student or to get into a course such as this. (Dont want to use excuses but reflecting upon those years ago, my study technique wasn't that good )I think if you know people whether it be in your school, from your family or someone that you know that is in the industry face-to-face on a personal level it makes a huge difference. But being part of this forum , has made me see there is a window of opportunity.
Go for it man and take all the opportunities you can get. Honestly I wouldn't write off the GAMSAT right away either. From what it sounds like it seems like you have a lot of life experience, and maybe the portfolio gamsat schools would like that. Some of the GAMSAT schools like USYD (I think) use GPA as a hurdle so if you do well on your 4th degree that might be on the cards too.

angesangles

Some of the GAMSAT schools like USYD (I think) use GPA as a hurdle so if you do well on your 4th degree that might be on the cards too.
Nah I havent performed well enough in this current degree to be competitive enough to be honest.

Im fairly confident my averages are no way near as good as my first degree.

Does having a postgraduate Masters degree help in terms of GPA , points?

A1

Rookie Doc
Does having a postgraduate Masters degree help in terms of GPA , points?
Masters (by coursework) only helps marginally - Pass vs 4.3+ for JMP, 5.4 vs 5.5 for WSU.
Masters by research would be Pass for both schools.

angesangles

Masters (by coursework) only helps marginally - Pass vs 4.3+ for JMP, 5.4 vs 5.5 for WSU.
Masters by research would be Pass for both schools.
what exactly do you mean by Pass?

Pass vs 4.3+, im taking it as they would look at both, whichever is better?

A1

Rookie Doc
what exactly do you mean by Pass?
Pass vs 4.3+, im taking it as they would look at both, whichever is better?
Pass means you have got the Masters, its GPA doesn't matter.

Pass vs 4.3+ means - for JMP you need 4.3+ if your most recent study program is Bachelor level, whereas 4.0-4.2 is okay for completed Masters.
For WSU - in the odd case that your Bachelor is 5.48 (not meeting 5.5 hurdle) and Masters is 5.42 (meeting 5.4 hurdle), WSU use the "best of" only amongst those that help you qualify. As such the Bach 5.48 is *not* considered better, WSU would use the Masters 5.42 instead.

ManM8

Lurker
I am in my second year of BSc in biomedical science at the University of Auckland. I scored 99 percentile in March 2022 GAMSAT which I could use for GEMSAS 2023 graduate-entry application for 2024 start. But I am also planning to apply for UNSW, University of Western Sydney, University of New England, and New Castle Medicine this year if I manage to get a good UCAT score. I have scored more than 85% in all Biomed exams so far, which I think would give me a good GPA. My ATAR was 99.95 which I am not sure would be considered for this year's application. Just wanted to know if UNSW, the University of Western Sydney, or the University of New Castle and New England allow deferring the entry for a year after receiving an offer.

A1

Rookie Doc

sunnyrain

Hi.
I'm in my 2nd year of uni and will be applying for non-standard schools again. For GPA calculation, will my last year's and this year's GPA be used? Or just this year's GPA?
Thank you.

Hi, I am a first year health and medical science student at the University of Adelaide trying to transfer into medicine through the non-standard entrance at the University of Adelaide. On the website, it has no ucat cut off score, and an edibility gpa of 5 or higher on the 7 scale. Realistically, what gpa would I need to have a competitive chance of getting in the program? Has anyone else successfully gotten in through this route and if so what gpa and ucat did you have?