NSW Internship preferencing and explanation

Discussion in 'Internship' started by Mana, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    As the vast majority of the places will be gone by the time the interstater gets allocated to them in category 2, I would simply preference them in the order that you would like.

As a general rule, your chances at a very popular hospital (i.e. like "the big 4") is pretty close to zero, owing to the fact that all of the places to these networks are allocated in the first round offers - so generally the only way that a category 2 would be allocated a place there would be if a Category 1 was offered a place there and declined it to go interstate.

As interstate rounds would happen later, in general, then oddly enough, from personal observation, I have noticed that people in Category 2 have a better chance at a very popular hospital network if they actually get allocated in later offer rounds - this gives the Category 1 applicants time to receive offers from other states and thus decline their offer in NSW.

That said, as a Category 2, you have no control over which Category 2 offer round you receive an internship in (HETI will allocate a random selection of Category 2 applicants each round by this system).

2. proof

proof New Member

I know this has probably been discussed a lot, does anyone have stats/stories of people obtaining a interstate internship? Specifically for nsw - priority 1 graduates are guaranteed an intern position but anyone know what proportion of priority 2?
    In addition since NSW is a ballot system how do they differentiate between the priority 2 people, with who gets an internship and in which hospital.

3. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    NSW Health offers around 980-990 internships a year. From Med Deans data NSW schools produce ~800 CSP + 60 FFP (UNDS) grads. Assuming all these grads take their NSW allocations there have been at least 120 spots available for priority 2 and lower.

See Mana's post just above regarding preference allocation for priority 2. At this stage I don't think they have needed to cut off some since a number of lower-priority int'l grads have been able to get NSW internships. However if you graduate after 2020 there will be ~50 more priority 1s from MQ so beware.