Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

NSW Internship preferencing and explanation

chinaski

You are employed by the hospital network, and therefore can (and most likely will) be seconded to different hospitals during the period you are contracted to that network. So, in the case of Network 1, RPA is the "mothership" hospital, and Dubbo is a satellite to which you might be sent for rotations. Secondment hospitals are limited by the maximum amount of terms a JMO can spend there in a year (eg T3 = three terms).

dwe

You are employed by the hospital network, and therefore can (and most likely will) be seconded to different hospitals during the period you are contracted to that network. So, in the case of Network 1, RPA is the "mothership" hospital, and Dubbo is a satellite to which you might be sent for rotations. Secondment hospitals are limited by the maximum amount of terms a JMO can spend there in a year (eg T3 = three terms).
Where can I find the motherships in each network?

dwe

They will be the T5 hospitals listed on the HETI website.
Thanks again for you answer. I feel like I’m missing something here. The list of networks I see here https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/485002/Annual-Report-for-Medical-Graduate-Recruitment-for-the-2019-Clinical-Year.PDF

Network 1 has both Dubbo and Rpah as T5. Network 2 has Bankstown and Campbelltown as T5, network 4 has both Liverpool and tweed as the T5. What am I missing here? Or how do we know if I got network 4, that my home hospital would be Liverpool or Tweed?

chinaski

Thanks again for you answer. I feel like I’m missing something here. The list of networks I see here https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/485002/Annual-Report-for-Medical-Graduate-Recruitment-for-the-2019-Clinical-Year.PDF

Network 1 has both Dubbo and Rpah as T5. Network 2 has Bankstown and Campbelltown as T5, network 4 has both Liverpool and tweed as the T5. What am I missing here? Or how do we know if I got network 4, that my home hospital would be Liverpool or Tweed?
No, I understand your confusion - I'm not entirely sure of the answer (it's been a long, long time since I was an intern). Looking at the applicant guide, and how the networks are described there (https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/484739/Applicant-User-Guide-for-Medical-Graduate-Recruitment.pdf) you're correct in that it doesn't seem clear as to how they allocate people within networks in which more than one T5 facility exists. It seems that secondments hospitals (denoted "OT" in the list) are specifically associated with particular T5 hospitals (so there is some assurance as to potential secondment terms), but what isn't immediately clear is how people are allocated to motherships. You'd probably need to read closer than I have (I have just skimmed) - but potentially it might mean that you have no guarantee that you'll get the T5 facility of your choice. Worst case scenario is that you have control over your network preferences, but once allocated to a network, you might not get much say beyond that (aside from submitting preferences to the network itself). Another possibility is that interns are shuffled between T5 facilities, so that although each can theoretically offer the full year as accredited time, they might do more of a 50:50 split throughout the entire intern body.

mememe

Thanks for the great guide. Still confused about how home hospitals are allocated. Each network has multiple T5 and T3 hospitals. Yet your guide seems to just refer to one of the T5 per network... how do you know which hospital will be your home one?

eg. Network 1 has both RPAH and Dubbo base, why do you refer to just RPAH? Isn't there a chance that your home hospital will be Dubbo?

Any clarity, or link to more information on this would be great thank.
My understanding is that if you are allocated RPAH through the nromal preferencing system (PTAP) your home hospital will be RPAH, but you may do one or more secondmnets to Dubbo just depending on your rotations;
vs
If you apply to a rural hospital through the RPR preferencing system you will be assigned the rural hospital as your home hospital and may do one rotation metro as a secondmnet.