Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship: NSW Preferencing and Explanation

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
does stacking work for cat2 and below?

Redcoffee

I have a question for the DRA pathway. Im cat 3 and was wondering, because not all the spots for the DRA places like liverpool was filled last year following DRA allocation. If I put liverpool first, does that mean I am guaranteed to get it?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I have a question for the DRA pathway. Im cat 3 and was wondering, because not all the spots for the DRA places like liverpool was filled last year following DRA allocation. If I put liverpool first, does that mean I am guaranteed to get it?

I’m absolutely no expert on NSW intern matching, have no idea about Liverpool subscription rates, and I suspect there are no guarantees, BUT... if there are places at Liverpool left by the time it gets to allocating cat 3 applicants, and there are not excessively more cat 3 applicants wanting Liverpool than there are places remaining, and you have Liverpool as your first preference, you’d be in with a pretty good chance.

ETA: I had a look at the DRA pathway info and while I’m not super familiar with it, I think my post is on the right track? If Mana or A1 happen to pop by, they’d be better placed to confirm.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc

Yes it appears so if I understand correctly the stats on page 19 in this 2020 intake
> https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/...rt-med-grad-allocation-2020-clinical-year.pdf

- The DRA is a separate pool, you are not affected by the Cat 1 & 2 graduates not going for DRA.
- Total 448 spots available vs 320 first-prefs. Network 4 Liverpool 57 vs 41 i.e. there were more spots available than all the 1st prefs.
- Of the 320 1st prefs : 195 Cat 1s, 42 NSW Cat 4s => 83 Cat 2s & 3s.

The latter two lines indicate a Cat 3 with a DRA 1st pref won't miss out.

did you end up putting Liverpool as your first choice?

Akila1234

Lurker
Hi I’m a category 4 student and I’m wondering what are the options available if I don’t get state internship this year. Being super paranoid that I may miss the JDTP Private Stream internship too . I really wanted to go into rural medicine but unfortunately have yet to get an offer. Just want to get prepared of all possibilities as I am really looking forward to staying back after my studies. Any advice?

Is there anything I need to prepare for the Private stream selection?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi I’m a category 4 student and I’m wondering what are the options available if I don’t get state internship this year. Being super paranoid that I may miss the JDTP Private Stream internship too . I really wanted to go into rural medicine but unfortunately have yet to get an offer. Just want to get prepared of all possibilities as I am really looking forward to staying back after my studies. Any advice?

Is there anything I need to prepare for the Private stream selection?

sn1p iStudent are either of you able to offer any insight?

(eta: I know neither of you were cat 4, but just wondering if you’re familiar...)

veeeee

COOCOO
hi, sorry just purely curious, if I finished year 12 here in Sydney, NSW and I am studying medicine interstate, suppose I want to an internship in the Blacktown, Nepean or Westmead hospital network when I graduate in 5 years. would I have a chance at any of these?

Also, does everyone who applied in the category need to be assigned a place before someone in the next category gets a place. (so does everyone in category 2 need to be assigned a place before someone in category 3 gets a place at a hospital network)

(sorry if this question doesn't make sense or if it sounds weird, I'm curious as to if it is even possible for me to come back to Syd in about 5 years time)

chinaski

It is not possible or advisable to predict the internship priority list in 5 years' time. The only graduating cohort to which the current list is guaranteed to apply is the current year.

purple1

Lurker

How does this work? Unless you mean in individual hospital networks?

As a cat 2 applicant currently anxiously awaiting an offer (I also applied through DRA), I've noticed that HETI has already made many offers to cat 3 and 4 applicants via DRA, which makes me concerned that I won't get one (this is based off their Twitter account).

I read in earlier posts that everyone in cat 2 should get an offer (?), but in the Annual Report from last year, 19 people in cat 2 did not receive an offer, while in the year before 62 people in cat 2 did not get an offer. Am I reading the tables wrong?

Could anyone please clarify? I know there are no guarantees for cat 2 but I was really hoping to move back to NSW :confused:.

A1

Rookie Doc
in the Annual Report from last year, 19 people in cat 2 did not receive an offer

Positions are allocated in the order of Indigenous pathway then RPR then DRA before Optimised Allocation.

Total 1030 positions minus 14 Ind, 141 RPR, 320 DRA = 555 left for OA.
Total Cat1 792 minus 73 in RPR, 195 in DRA = 524 Cat1s in OA. That left just 31 positions in OA for non-Cat1s, versus 176 Cat2 applicants.

The report doesn't say how many of these 176 Cat2s went for RPR/DRA, but mathematically possible more than 31 Cat2s went for OA only and some could miss out. In your case, you have applied through DRA and some Cat3/4s have received DRA offers then surely they shouldn't skip over you.

It totally depends on the network, what was the your first choice ? I’m cat 4 and got an offer for network 14 on Monday. Some of my friends got offer for network 15.

How does this work? Unless you mean in individual hospital networks?

As a cat 2 applicant currently anxiously awaiting an offer (I also applied through DRA), I've noticed that HETI has already made many offers to cat 3 and 4 applicants via DRA, which makes me concerned that I won't get one (this is based off their Twitter account).

I read in earlier posts that everyone in cat 2 should get an offer (?), but in the Annual Report from last year, 19 people in cat 2 did not receive an offer, while in the year before 62 people in cat 2 did not get an offer. Am I reading the tables wrong?

Could anyone please clarify? I know there are no guarantees for cat 2 but I was really hoping to move back to NSW :confused:.

Positions are allocated in the order of Indigenous pathway then RPR then DRA before Optimised Allocation.

Total Cat1 792 minus 73 in RPR, 195 in DRA = 524 Cat1s in OA. That left just 31 positions in OA for non-Cat1s, versus 176 Cat2 applicants.

The report doesn't say how many of these 176 Cat2s went for RPR/DRA, but mathematically possible more than 31 Cat2s went for OA only and some could miss out. In your case, you have applied through DRA and some Cat3/4s have received DRA offers then surely they shouldn't skip over you.

actually it depends on the network. So if a cat2 applies to a network which is oversubscribed and there are vacancies in another network to which cat4s have applied then they would get it.

purple1

Lurker

Makes sense! Guess it's just a waiting game

actually it depends on the network. So if a cat2 applies to a network which is oversubscribed and there are vacancies in another network to which cat4s have applied then they would get it.

Congrats on your offer! I applied for network 4 so must be oversubscribed atm :(

Makes sense! Guess it's just a waiting game

Congrats on your offer! I applied for network 4 so must be oversubscribed atm :(

thanks, ya that should be the case. Hope you got an offer from the state you graduated from. Hopefully you will get an offer during offer period 2.

A1

Rookie Doc

I found this document describing the DRA process
> https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/...-Pathway-Procedure-for-2021-Clinical-Year.pdf

The Cat priorities apply within each pathway, in addition for DRA they also apply within each network i.e. your Cat2 for network 4 doesn't mean higher priority than a Cat4 for another network. This explains why some Cat4s have received offers elsewhere.

The DRA pathway only considers your 1st preference. If not getting a DRA offer you will be moved to the OA pathway for the remaining 14 preferences (whether they are DRA networks or not). So fingers crossed you will still get one of these prefs.