Auckland Nurse wanting to pursue career in med

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by Asparagushead, May 8, 2017.

1. Asparagushead

Asparagushead New Member

Hi everyone,

This might be something slightly different. Fresh out of high school, I started a degree in health sciences at Uoa in 2008 in the hopes of getting into med. Obviously I didn't do well academically and my GPA wasn't good enough to get me an interview. I powered through the degree anyway, in the hopes of applying through the graduate entry. But by the end of this I felt exhausted and some personal issues meant I didn't apply and instead started a health promotion job. This is before realising I really did not want to do a an office job and started thinking about getting back into health care again. So I started a nursing degree because it took only three years to complete and because I didn't feel I was good enough to do med. I have been practicing as a nurse for the past three years and in this timeframe I have also completed a masters degree. Throughout my journey I have never really stopped yearning to do med and now at 27, I am wondering how I can get back into it. I realise this seems a bit nuts but it's something I cannot stop myself thinking about.

Here is the tricky bit. My masters degree was done part-time while working almost full-time and as a result my results aren't perfect. My GPA is a petty 6. But I am adamant to see this dream I had fulfilled. Over the years I have matured and I would like to think I have developed good work ethics that would get me through med school. I also have a sizeable income and am blessed with a partner to support me through this journey. My concern is how do I do this. I realise I cannot go back to Auckland uni do the first year entry, but I also realise I cannot do the graduate entry with my current grades. Same applies for Otago.

What am I to do? Start a new degree and aim to get perfect grades and apply through the graduate pathway then? can I even do that since I have a postgraduate degree? As I said this is something I really wish to do. I am even considering moving to Australia or even the US to start from scratch but I don't have enough information about those places as of yet.

Can someone give me any guidance or talk some sense into me if this is too crazy?

2. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Sit the GAMSAT and the UMAT anyway and apply for schools in Australia - USyd, the JMP, Notre Dame and WSU will look at your 6.0 as having satisfied their cutoff requirements. It will then depend on your UMAT/GAMSAT score and the interview.

3. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

You can still apply at Auckland as a graduate. You will need to complete another one or two (likely two) years of postgraduate study so either another Masters or something of similar ilk.

You could also buff yourself up for the "alternative" category at Otago but I don't know if they have a GPA requirement.

4. Asparagushead

Asparagushead New Member

Thank you. I will give this some serious thought

5. Asparagushead

Asparagushead New Member

I have thought about this option. I don't want to seem too flaky? having done all this study. Would they look at my education history and just dismiss me?

6. frootloop

frootloop Otago Trainee Intern (MBChB VI) Moderator

I'll just warn the OP that, as per several recent threads here, NZers now have to pay full fees ($$$$) in Australia and run the risk of not being able to find a PGY1 job.

7. MacTonight

MacTonight Regular Member

"Alternative" category at Otago is the most straightforward route and potentially your best bet.

Unfortunately you've missed the cut-off for 2018 applications by a week. But you have plenty of time to get your application in order for next year!

8. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

I doubt anybody is going to care; you just submit your second Masters or whatever with your star GPA and nobody looks at it any further. In practical reality, you wouldn't even have to tell them about any other qualifications you have.

9. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    By the way - just to clarify - a 6.0 on a 7 point scale is good enough but if thats a 6 on a different scale your marks may not suffice.

10. MacTonight

MacTonight Regular Member

Contrary to the above advice, if you're applying to Otago via the alternative pathway, they will expect transcripts of all your tertiary study and I'd suggest they do care about it. That doesn't mean they're going to dismiss you based on GPA or a "flakey" education history - quite the opposite in fact. There is no GPA requirement for this entry pathway. And they like people with interesting stories.

Because you're including a CV for Otago's alternative category (unless your intention is to mislead or under-sell your achievements) then they can see all the qualifications you're claiming and can simply reconcile those against your academic transcripts.

11. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

Sorry mate, I was referring to Auckland. The SOM person told me they just want to see your most recent results, if you have 10 degrees it doesn't matter or change anything, they just want your most recent results only.

12. better_late_than_never

better_late_than_never New Member

I know this may be an old thread, but I'm curious about the details of the graduate entry in regards to how many post-grad diplomas/degrees you can do that would count towards GPA for entry into medicine - so you're saying someone with a current masters could do another PGdip or masters to bump their grades up high enough for the graduate entry?