• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Nursing-easiest alternative pathway to med?

Dr.A

Legend..wait for it..
As the title suggests, I have tried to read around about nursing. The reason that lead me to do so was because one friend that does nursing had told me that no gamsat was required, ive confirmed this with another nurse who volunteers with me. So if no gamsat was required, all that would be needed would be an interview and a gpa (its fairly easy to score a high gpa in nursing or so i heard). Hence really it seems that the major hurdle for nurses is an interview only. So what is the catch here, if that were the case im sure everyone would do nursing, and alot of the nurses would go on to be doctors, since thats not the case, then clearly there must be some challenge that makes nursing just as hard as a pathway as other courses?

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Are you sure no GAMSAT is required? I've never heard that before. You should check with a university to make sure that's correct. There is nothing on monash's grduate medicine site about nursing...

drremy88

Wizard
I think that there's no gamsat to do nursing. But to do med from nursing you have to do the gamsat.

I don't think it's any easier to get a high gpa than in any other course.

i think ur guaranteed an interview, but ur admission depends on a combination between your GPA, GAMSAT and INTERVIEW. so there's no gamsat hurdle to get an interview but u still need to do well in all 3 areas

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
guys: please provide some evidence or a link. Each university has different procedures so i doubt it is going to be the same. Conjecture isn't helping! As far as i can tell there is no evidence nursing students get any sort of head start in grad med...

chinaski

As far as i can tell there is no evidence nursing students get any sort of head start in grad med...
...And you'd be right. Nurses who want to do graduate medicine are required to sit GAMSAT, just like everyone else. End of story.

teenib

No. No uni requires you to sit any exam to do Nursing. If you want to go on to Med, you either have to start as an Undergrad sitting the UMAT or within one of the limited Graduate programs by sitting the GAMSAT.

Nursing is a bloody hard degree, in fact some of the subjects are harder, but there is less people wanting to do it and more of them needed thus it is easier to get into the course. Supply and demand.

Plus, nurses get paid bugger all, get no respect, and no credit. You only do nursing because you care about people. Nursing is not something you do, its something you are

There is no clear cut benefit to doing nursing as a pathway to med, in terms of GAMSAT etc, but 4 years in a health discipline would have to be advantageous as opposed to accounting or something unrelated. But a nursing degree wont get you any credit

forevafrensbear

Consultant Physician
I would disagree with that. Nursing may be hard work, but they do get respect and credit for doing a good job. The politics within nursing are a different kettle of fish and their heirarchy is also quite different from the medical officers.

That said, the senior nurses get paid more than the interns. And the nurse practitioners and nurse managers get paid more than the junior registrars. Then again, not every nurse becomes a nurse practitioner or Director of Nursing (affectionately known as the DoN) whereas most interns eventually become consultants, whether in a speciality or general practice.

You don't have to sit the GAMSAT to do nursing. But I would be extremely surprised if your source of information was wrong with regards to not having to sit the GAMSAT for post-graduate medicine.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
Nursing is a bloody hard degree, in fact some of the subjects are harder, but there is less people wanting to do it and more of them needed thus it is easier to get into the course. Supply and demand.
Harder than what? Med? Where'd you pull that from?

teenib

Pulled it straight from marking both nursing and med exams and papers

chinaski

Whilst I'm not buying into the whole "this course is harder than that course" merry-go-round, having completed a medical degree and tutored nursing students as a way of supporting myself whilst doing so, I would say that the content of the nursing curriculum is not any more demanding. Some people who go into nursing struggle with the course due to a lack of background knowledge, or the fact that academically, they are simply not up to the standards the course expects.

theangelofdarkness

International Member of Mystery
Emeritus Staff
Which subjects are harder?

Nursing is a relatively good first degree to choose, in that you'll have covered some of the subject material, and have some experience in hospitals (which can help with confidence during med school years), and it also means you have a qualification which allows you to work during medical school - but the same can be said for many other professional degrees.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
That is incredibly strange. I have classmates who aced nursing (and one who was valedictorian/dux), got averages of 90+, and who have struggled big time in med.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
That is incredibly strange. I have classmates who aced nursing (and one who was valedictorian/dux), got averages of 90+, and who have struggled big time in med.
I'd believe it. In my experience medical students don't know an unusually large amount about anything... it's just that their knowledge is broader than any other field. I'm sure there are some topics in nursing degrees which nurses end up knowing more about.

teenib

Thank you Jono, that was the point I was trying to make. Neither degree is harder persay than the other. Its like saying ballet is harder than football, they are very different. Both sports people are incredibly fit, train hard, dedicated etc, but ballerinas suck at throwing balls and footballers can't pirouette

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
:huh: you can't directly compare content on papers from different courses and make judgments about what's harder. For example, a med sci student might be asked a more difficult question on say physiology than a medicine student but the focus of the course is different. Similarly, medicine and nursing. Wait until you have experience as a medicine student before you make these calls

ETA: Commented on the above quote before I got to read those other ones in reply to it. I see the point you're trying to make and agree with it... but I still don't like the idea of comparing medical and nursing student exam papers and trying to draw conclusions because, as we've established, they're different.

Last edited:

Myself

Lurker
Umm...you cant draw conclusions based on that.
They might have been working like crazy while they were doing nursing so that they can get into med school. Once they got in they probably started to 'chill' and take things easy thus performing poorly.

chinaski

Umm...you cant draw conclusions based on that.
They might have been working like crazy while they were doing nursing so that they can get into med school. Once they got in they probably started to 'chill' and take things easy thus performing poorly.
...But - aren't you drawing similar conclusions too? :lol: