Auckland NZ Internships for NZ Citizens Completing Med in Aus

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by Lola92, May 3, 2019.

1. Lola92

Lola92 New Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm a NZ citizen that left NZ to study medicine in Australia 4 years ago. I'm looking to apply for an internship position in NZ for next year but I'm really worried of the likelihood of actually being offered a position. I have heard it is incredibly hard to come back to NZ as an intern and have only heard of one success story so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

UTAS MBBS
    As far as I'm aware, we don't have any current regular members who have done what you're asking about. We may have a few that know some anecdotal stories or have some stats they can share with you, but no personal experience.

rustyedges frootloop Stuart, any clues?

3. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

Hi Lola, according to the ACE website, the programme for applying for first year jobs in NZ, "71% of the ACE applicants graduating from an Australian medical school were offered a first year House Officer position through the ACE match process or via the Talent Pool."
    So quite good odds, depending on the strength of your applications and what DHBs you would want to work in.

You can find more information about applying on the ACE website: RMO

Verdigris and LMG! like this.
  4. frootloop

frootloop House Surgeon Moderator

As rusty says, your odds of getting a job aren't bad (although they're probably going to be a little lower than that 70% this year with the bigger Otago graduating class).

But I wouldn't necessarily bank on getting the location you want. It very much helps having trained at the location you want, having references from bosses who work there etc.

Verdigris likes this.