Otago NZ Students studying in Australia

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by Tom Reiner, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Tom Reiner

Tom Reiner New Member

I have a question about NZ students studying in Australia. I have heard of students applying for Australian universities so that if they do not get into the NZ med course they can possibly go to an Australian uni. I’m a year 13 student doing NCEA, I’ve signed up for the UMAT this year and am planning to go to Otago and do HSFY and then if I don’t get into medicine consider Australia.

I’m kind of confused about what my options are when applying to Australian universities. Do I apply in year 13 and then defer the offer for a year or do you apply during HSFY? If you do apply during HSFY do you still count as a school leaver or will you then have to apply as a non-school leaver?

When applying to Australian universities will NZ students have to travel to the universities that they get interviews at to the interview or do they sometimes do an online one? are there any other challenges for NZ students to study in Australia?

What kind of percentile would I need in the UMAT to be competitive at both Otago and in Australia? It would be great if someone could clear up my understanding. Cheers :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    NZ Y13 is equivalent to Aus Y12, have a look in this table to get an idea of the ATAR & UMAT required for Y12/school leavers (in your case ATAR would be converted from your NCEA results)

[Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Aus med schools don't require HSFY so if you apply this year and are successful you can start Med next year. Technically you are not allowed to defer to study somewhere else (ie. HSFY to see if you will also get a NZ offer). And yes you will have to travel over to interview unless you get in no-interview schools like UQ Griffith Flinders.

If apply next year during your HSFY you'd be a non-standard applicant with fewer schools available. See the section for non-standards in the table.

Tom Reiner likes this.
  3. Tom Reiner

Tom Reiner New Member

Thanks very much! since I would prefer to do medicine in NZ is it still possible to defer a place I get offered in Australia this year and start it in 2020 if I do not get into NZ med? cheers

4. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    Realising I missed this part earlier I already edited my post to include "Technically you are not allowed to defer a Med offer to study somewhere else (ie. HSFY to see if you will also get a NZ offer)".

Tom Reiner likes this.
  5. Tom Reiner

Tom Reiner New Member

Do you happen to know how the costs compare for NZ vs Australian students? I know they were going to change New Zealanders to international students but didn't go through with it? Does that mean new zealanders pay a similar amount to australians?

6. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    It was not conclusive they were going to change NZ students to international (i.e. could also be changed to "domestic" without gov subsidies as the proposal included Aus PRs too). But with that now out of the way, NZ students pay the same amount as Aus students do ~11k/year. A difference is they have to actually pay while Aus students can put it on a gov loan.

Another difference is NZ students are not eligible for bonded offers, so they have to rank higher than the CSP/unbonded-offer cutoff.

Tom Reiner likes this.