Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

NZ Students Studying in Australia

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if indicating an interest in BMP for the Newcastle uni (JMP) application necessarily offers any advantage (for interview consideration) over other applicants?

Sorry if this wasn't the correct place to post this question, but since BMPs were mentioned in an earlier post, I thought that I might put my question here
Given the thread you’ve posted in, I’m assuming you’re from NZ. If so, I believe you are ineligible for BMPs at any uni, they are open to Aus citizens only.

Hi there
Is it true that Australian GPA scale only goes up to 7? So if I get an A+, A or an A- in NZ it will automatically convert to a 7 in Australia? Does 7 cover A+/A/A-?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks for this. Does this apply for all Australian Medical/Dental universities?
You would need to investigate the cut offs used for the unis/TACs you want to apply to. Some (Qld/QTAC ones as per the linked post) use HD = 85, some use 80. Only relevant if you have individual unit marks that fall in the 80-84, 70-74, 60-64 range though.

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for this. Does this apply for all Australian Medical/Dental universities?
Yes for all NSW/Qld/SA/Tas unis.

For themselves the Vic/Tas/WA unis use 80+ = 7, 70-79 = 6 ... i.e. 5 marks lower than the scales quoted above.
But I don't know which scales are used when these unis convert NZ to Aus GPA. If you are not applying to Vic/Tas/WA then use the 85+ = 7.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yes for all NSW/Qld/SA/Tas unis.

For themselves the Vic & WA unis use 80+ = 7, 70-79 = 6 ... i.e. 5 marks lower than the scales quoted above.
But I don't know which scales are used when these unis convert NZ to Aus GPA. If you are not applying to Vic/WA then use the 85+ = 7.
UTAS uses HD = 80 (though not relevant to OP as they’re not eligible for UTAS).

Reactions: A1
Given the thread you’ve posted in, I’m assuming you’re from NZ. If so, I believe you are ineligible for BMPs at any uni, they are open to Aus citizens only.
Hi, sorry I am really confused what is a BMP?? Can someone please explain haha thank you

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, sorry I am really confused what is a BMP?? Can someone please explain haha thank you
Bonded medical place. It’s a place in medicine that relies on you signing a contract that you’ll work rurally for X amount if time post-graduation. BMPs make up ~28% of places in Aus but are not open to NZ residents.

Yes - anything 80% or above = 7, 70% or above = 6 etc. If every single unit you’ve taken in NZ scored over 80, then you’ll have a 7 GPA. If not, it’s slightly more complicated but still very simple to calculate. :)

What if not all the units you have taken in NZ are over 80%?

For example, for couple papers you have scored below 80% but all the rest of the papers in your entire degree you have scored A+ (over 80%). Does this mean that it is now impossible to get a perfect 7 GPA?

I tested converting NZ to Aus grades using the GEMSAS guide and it seems like this is the case :((( unless I have done it wrong ... I hope this made sense would be awesome if someone clarified this!!

A1

Rookie Doc
For example, for couple papers you have scored below 80% but all the rest of the papers in your entire degree you have scored A+ (over 80%). Does this mean that it is now impossible to get a perfect 7 GPA?
Yes that's correct.
Note GPA is the average of *grade points* not grades. Once you have a unit below 7 grade points you can't get a perfect 7 GPA. But very few in Aus get 7 for a whole degree, 6.8 is enough to make you competitive anywhere.

Btw if you really crave for 7 you can do a PhD, a couple of unis give PhD an honorary 7 :)

I can confirm this is true, at least for QTAC. I got 85+ in all my papers in Uni of Auckland and they gave me a gpa of 7.
Hi! Thanks for this. Are there any NZ students who have been through the UAC process and are willing to confirm in a similar way? This would be super helpful, thank you!

Hey guys I am here to revive this forum with a question. I was wondering if there are anyone who has done a bachelors in UoA and went off to do post grad med in Aussie? I was wondering what degree did you do and what uni did you end up in? Thanks a lot! I am currently doing first year Biomed in UoA and would like to pursue med in Australia. Thank you!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys I am here to revive this forum with a question. I was wondering if there are anyone who has done a bachelors in UoA and went off to do post grad med in Aussie? I was wondering what degree did you do and what uni did you end up in? Thanks a lot! I am currently doing first year Biomed in UoA and would like to pursue med in Australia. Thank you!
Verdigris is in this category. A couple of Aus unis have pre-requisites, but most don't and you can move into grad Med from any background, from teaching to law to biomed to nursing to arts.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Except Verd is a proud Otago graduate and would bite your head off if you think she’s from UoA.

Same process from degree from either however

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
hiya!!

i did a bachelor of arts majoring in politics at the university of otago. i did hsfy first tho, so i had done the prerequisites for all the aus postgrad/MD unis (basically x semesters of anatomy / physiology / bioc etc). melb uni in particular specifies that if u have done hsfy u have fulfilled their prereq requirements.

i applied thru gemsas and i ranked my top 3: uni of melb / uni of qld / griffith uni. i interviewed at uni of melb and was accepted into uq which is where i now am :)

i have a blog hwere i talked about the process of applying to aussie med schools and sitting the gamsat but pls lmk if u have any questions :) always happy to help its an intimidating process

ps: LMG! i still love u ok but ur on THIN ICE

Thanks a lot for the info guys! I was going to do some research on it myself but the uni workload has been too much recently and I am trying to not burn out... (learnt it the hard way from sem 1). And yep Verdigris I have went through your blog on how you went to UQ from Otago! That's fantastic! Also thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll definitely find you if I have anymore questions later (esp regarding flying to Welly for GEMSAT). Also thank you LMG! I was worried about pre-reqs too but discovered that I still would like to do sth science related cause I really enjoyed that. Thank you!

jhsane

Are there any other NZ Year 13 school leavers that want to do med in Australia next year or were a school leaver that did undergraduate med in australia without studying uoa or otago? It'd be really great to have someone to talk to as I'm still quite daunted by the CIE A Level to ATAR conversion process as my grades are collated over 2 years and I've seen some mixed information about how it works... : )