Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

NZ Students Studying in Australia

caityutoo

How much time do you need to prepare for the GAMSAT? I'm applying to UofA and Otago but think only slight chance of being successful. I don't really have time until December to start studying for GAMSAT. Is that enough time to prepare for test in March??

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
How much time do you need to prepare for the GAMSAT? I'm applying to UofA and Otago but think only slight chance of being successful. I don't really have time until December to start studying for GAMSAT. Is that enough time to prepare for test in March??
I can’t comment on GAMSAT preparation as I took one look at a practice exam and noped right outta there! Verdigris successfully GAMSATted though, so may have some advice. Also, don’t forget you can sit UCAT to open up UTAS, JCU, UNSW, JPM, and JMP for 2023 non-standard entry.

caityutoo

Ahh. Didn't know that. So can sit UCAT in July 2022 for those universities for entry 2023? Might be a good option. Have a 6.9 Aus GPA (as far as I can figure out, 8.6 NZ GPA) but am a bit worried about that GAMSAT monster. Thanks

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
caityutoo hi! you absolutely can prepare for the march gamsat if you start in december :) when i was researching gamsat study tips in 2019, the majority of people said it was good to spend six months preparing. i don't think that's necessary, honestly. i did one month prep (because i was totally in denial about not getting into otago until the last minute) and i scored 88th percentile. i was definitely doing about 4-6 hours work/day in that month tho. i did not feel confident walking into the exam, i did not feel confident walking out (unlike UMAT, which I spent six months prepping for). i think three months will be plenty, but you should make it a priority IMO. it is a different beast entirely to UCAT.

edit: if u sit the march gamsat then you can apply for entry in 2023. i recommend applying both for the UCAT unis and the GEMSAS ones (which is what i did). the MD universities are only 4 years for the degree, UCAT unis are 5-6 years and you're with 18 y/os for the most part. also the interviews and acceptances for the MD unis come out well before the UCAT ones (including auckland and otago) so you have some peace of mind going into those interviews, should you choose to do them :)

caityutoo

caityutoo hi! you absolutely can prepare for the march gamsat if you start in december :) when i was researching gamsat study tips in 2019, the majority of people said it was good to spend six months preparing. i don't think that's necessary, honestly. i did one month prep (because i was totally in denial about not getting into otago until the last minute) and i scored 88th percentile. i was definitely doing about 4-6 hours work/day in that month tho. i did not feel confident walking into the exam, i did not feel confident walking out (unlike UMAT, which I spent six months prepping for). i think three months will be plenty, but you should make it a priority IMO. it is a different beast entirely to UCAT.

edit: if u sit the march gamsat then you can apply for entry in 2023. i recommend applying both for the UCAT unis and the GEMSAS ones (which is what i did). the MD universities are only 4 years for the degree, UCAT unis are 5-6 years and you're with 18 y/os for the most part. also the interviews and acceptances for the MD unis come out well before the UCAT ones (including auckland and otago) so you have some peace of mind going into those interviews, should you choose to do them :)
Perfect!! Thank you for your advice!

I am currently studying a degree, and next year is my last year. Am I able to apply to the Australian Medical Universities under the undergraduate pathway or would I be under the graduate category? Like can I apply for undergraduate medicine with a degree?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I am currently studying a degree, and next year is my last year. Am I able to apply to the Australian Medical Universities under the undergraduate pathway or would I be under the graduate category? Like can I apply for undergraduate medicine with a degree?
You would be a non-standard applicant at the universities with this pathway, and a graduate applicant at unis with a grad pathway. You would need to do both UCAT (non-standard) and GAMSAT (graduate) to open up max chances in both pathways though.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Ok I see, is there a way I can message you privately?
I’d rather questions remain in the thread for others to benefit from also, if possible. Plus there are dedicated threads here for both pathways which would be worth a read.

I’d rather questions remain in the thread for others to benefit from also, if possible. Plus there are dedicated threads here for both pathways which would be worth a read.
Alright, so I've only prepared for UCAT and not GAMSAT and I have realised GAMSAT is in 3 months so I don't think I will sit it. I am wanting to know how many Australian Medical Universities I can apply to with a UCAT score, bearing in mind I am in my final year next year with my degree. I know there are 19 medical schools in Australia, so how many can I apply to with a UCAT score?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Alright, so I've only prepared for UCAT and not GAMSAT and I have realised GAMSAT is in 3 months so I don't think I will sit it. I am wanting to know how many Australian Medical Universities I can apply to with a UCAT score, bearing in mind I am in my final year next year with my degree. I know there are 19 medical schools in Australia, so how many can I apply to with a UCAT score?
This question is asked and answered many times over in relevant threads. There’s months until UCAT next year so you have plenty of time to do some research. We have a search function you can use, too.

Here is one thread you can start with: NZ and Aus Entry Pathways to Medicine

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
you can definitely sit gamsat with three months dedicated prep :) you just gotta put your back into it. i think i had less than six weeks prep, and i felt absolutely terrible going into and coming out of the exam, but managed to get a spot at UQ!