Auckland NZ year 13 applying for Australia

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by sparestuff, Sep 10, 2018.

1. sparestuff

sparestuff New Member

Hi, I’m a year 13 student currently in New Zealand, finishing my last year of high school this year. I sit Cambridge A levels, and my results are expected to release on the 10th of January 2019. What do I need to do to ensure the University can receive an official copy of results on time? Also do I have to get the scores converted to ATAR or will the universities do it? I’m applying for an undergraduate degree in dentistry and medicine at CSU, UQ, JCU, UNSW, and JMP.
    Thanks.

EDIT: sorry if this is in the wrong place, I’m still new to the forum.

2. hpfanfiction

hpfanfiction Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital Magical Moderator

Registrar
    Generally , the admissions centre for that state (UAC, SATAC, VTAC, TISC , QTAC etc) will convert your A levels into an ATAR (so this means that your ATAR might vary depending on the state ).
    A level conversion table to atar
    For example , this is a copy of a document containing an old SATAC based A level to ATAR conversion table

I understand your concern re: the delayed results release . Recently I noticed that UNSW have put this on their page
    “Applications cannot be considered for entry if results are not made available to UAC by 7 January in the year where students commence their studies with us.

The reason for the need for this deadline is to allow main round offers to be finalised and also to determine interstate interviewees for the late January round of interviews. It is usually the case that the only students adversely affected by this deadline for results are students who sit one of the "A" Level examinations and university students with unresolved exam results. We will do our best to consider these applicants, but cannot guarantee it.”
    The first paragraph made it seem like an absolute rule but the second sentence offers some hope .
    Local applicants | Medicine

Maybe your best point of call would be to liaise with the state-based admission centres (in case they make their own conversion tables available to you ) and perhaps also UNSW specifically (citing the above statement )

All the best :)

3. sparestuff

sparestuff New Member

Thanks for the advice, I’ve emailed the universities and hopefully they have some advice for the release of results. Are you aware of any way to send official results on the day of the results getting released? Do universities accept the statement of results page shown to students on the 10th of Jan?

Thanks, appreciate the help so far :)

4. hpfanfiction

hpfanfiction Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital Magical Moderator

Registrar
    I would guess that the results would be made available to the universities by the admissions centres (when you apply , they’ll ask for the username etc) . Honestly though , there is little information out there on this topic so please post back on here if you hear back from anyone :)
    In the meantime - if anyone reading this can shed some more light , please post as well!

5. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    First thing to realise is the uni/med/dent schools in Aus do not involve themselves in determining your ATAR, that's for the TAC (Tertiary Admissions Centres). 3-4 years ago the TACs used to have conversion tables like the one @HPff linked, but from 2016 they pass NZ students to NZQA to determine.

In your case the TACs are UAC and QTAC. They need to have ATARs by end of Dec (early Jan at the latest for Aus IB students) to pass to the schools. If your results are released on 10 Jan then will need conversion by NZQA, I don't see how it can meet the deadline. I suggest you ask NZQA directly whether they can do anything to help.

hpfanfiction likes this.