Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Offers UTAS 2017 (Discussion)

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
That said, there are plenty of people working there who just want to help, but whoever is in putting the information online doesn't appreciate their power, and how much applicants are relying on that information.
Indeed it is the management of the process and communication of the process that is causing confusion. There might well be similar internal confusion as to what we are experiencing externally.

Last edited:

EJM

Omg someone is looking at my application. "Your application is being updated. Preference changes and responding to offers cannot be performed at this time - please check back later."
Still hoping.

Mine and a friends was also being 'looked at' yesterday too!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
That said, there are plenty of people working there who just want to help, but whoever is in putting the information online doesn't appreciate their power, and how much applicants are relying on that information.

Yes, to clarify, I did mean those with the power are 'The School of Medicine', not the individuals answering the phones :)

Yooxs

Probably not of too much comfort to anyone, but perhaps for statistics I'll post some (vague) info I got recently:

I have a buddy who just told me that they had gotten an offer from UTAS. I don't know when, but I don't think it's recent. Their stats:

GPA "Over DNs"
UMAT 96%
Non-standard UTAS student in MedRes, transferred here in second year (which we just completed)
Non rural (I think)

Yes it's a bit vague, and I apologise for that, but I didn't want to grill him too much in a pleasant conversation. He had also gone to a JMP interview but declined the offer for UTAS. This may mean that he got his UTAS offer early on (between interview and first round UAC) or held onto it and got UTAS later.

EJM

Probably not of too much comfort to anyone, but perhaps for statistics I'll post some (vague) info I got recently:

I have a buddy who just told me that they had gotten an offer from UTAS. I don't know when, but I don't think it's recent. Their stats:

GPA "Over DNs"
UMAT 96%
Non-standard UTAS student in MedRes, transferred here in second year (which we just completed)
Non rural (I think)

Yes it's a bit vague, and I apologise for that, but I didn't want to grill him too much in a pleasant conversation. He had also gone to a JMP interview but declined the offer for UTAS. This may mean that he got his UTAS offer early on (between interview and first round UAC) or held onto it and got UTAS later.

He likely got such an early offer because he is a 'pathway' student.. not really a surprise :) thanks for the info!!

biom

Yeah, technically not 'non standard' I don't think, but useful information regardless. Thanks @Yooxs
If this was an early offer then it is the low water mark as MedRes people with 95 did not get an offer.

Reactions: EJM
Congratulations!!! Have moved on from UTAS and set my sights on JMP next year so will hopefully see you there eventually!

LMG I can't help but wonder if you are also applying via postgraduate pathways as well, you have what appears to be the perfect combo of GPA, experience and rurality which is much more sought after in post grad applications. You would probably have a great chance at any of the mainland unis that way

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
LMG I can't help but wonder if you are also applying via postgraduate pathways as well, you have what appears to be the perfect combo of GPA, experience and rurality which is much more sought after in post grad applications. You would probably have a great chance at any of the mainland unis that way

I did look into it, but I only have that 'perfect combo' at 3 of the 8 GEMSAS unis* and 1 of those 3 doesn't interview and ranks applicants solely on GAMSAT, so I'm quickly not particularly competitive via the grad entry route. And 1 of the remaining 2 is UWA. I'm really not prepared to move that far.

Not to mention, my experience of prep so far suggests section 3 of GAMSAT might as well be written in any language other than English! Haha! Gimme UMAT any day!

*all other unis (including non-GEMSAS USyd) use undergraduate GPA regardless of whether or not you have a postgrad qualification. My undergrad GPA is too old at some (10+ years) and too rubbish at all!! I did NOT take my first year of Uni particularly seriously as a 17yo just outta Catholic College ;)

I did look into it, but I only have that 'perfect combo' at 3 of the 8 GEMSAS unis* and 1 of those 3 doesn't interview and ranks applicants solely on GAMSAT, so I'm quickly not particularly competitive via the grad entry route. And 1 of the remaining 2 is UWA. I'm really not prepared to move that far.

Not to mention, my experience of prep so far suggests section 3 of GAMSAT might as well be written in any language other than English! Haha! Gimme UMAT any day!

*all other unis (including non-GEMSAS USyd) use undergraduate GPA regardless of whether or not you have a postgrad qualification. My undergrad GPA is too old at some (10+ years) and too rubbish at all!! I did NOT take my first year of Uni particularly seriously as a 17yo just outta Catholic College ;)

That makes perfect sense, I totally overlooked the fact they only use your undergrad GPA, how weird! I can relate to choosing umat over gamsat, I would have sat it last year but studying section 1 and 2 made me know for sure I wouldn't have made the cut so I just hung around until umat time. Sub 6 GPA also wasn't a great prospect haha!

You should definitely apply for UWS which now has 15 spots specifically for rural backgrounds, and in my experience interviewing both there and JMP, the UWS interview style allows you to really let all of your experiences and history shine through a lot more for your benefit. Also think about JCU which you have a great chance at if umat does not go so well. Good luck!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
That makes perfect sense, I totally overlooked the fact they only use your undergrad GPA, how weird! I can relate to choosing umat over gamsat, I would have sat it last year but studying section 1 and 2 made me know for sure I wouldn't have made the cut so I just hung around until umat time. Sub 6 GPA also wasn't a great prospect haha!

You should definitely apply for UWS which now has 15 spots specifically for rural backgrounds, and in my experience interviewing both there and JMP, the UWS interview style allows you to really let all of your experiences and history shine through a lot more for your benefit. Also think about JCU which you have a great chance at if umat does not go so well. Good luck!!

Yeah, I know I singled out JMP above, but UWS and JCU are definitely also on my radar. I might hit you up for UWS interview tips later in the year if you're still around and I'm lucky enough to score one!

I just wish UTAS had made it clear about the likely reduced non-standard positions before the end of Sept (as opposed to mid-Dec) so I could have been better informed and applied more widely for 2017 entry, but it's also partly my own fault for being complacent! And another year of saving mortgage repayments won't be the worst thing in the world. I gueessssssss...! Haha :)

biom

This time last year UTAS was still making offers for the BMedRes guaranteed path. It all seems to have gone quiet this year.

Reactions: EJM