Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

OLY1 failing... what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oysters

Hello =)

I'm really stuck about the options I have, and would very appreciate any advice:cry:

This is my situation:

I'm currently studying OLY1, and my mid semester test results came out as utter disaster. I've done a simple gpa calculation, and the max gpa I can get now is A- (this is "if" I gained all A+ in sem2 -quite unlikely), which will probably end up as B+ by the end of the year.
Also I did so awful in the core papers, that I know I won't even be "considered" for med now:cry:

It's completely my own fault for getting such bad results (I hate myself for not being able to try hard enough), and I know I should face reality now, but I can't stop thinking about it and getting depressed...

I really really don't want to give up on med.

and so,

In NZ I have 1 more chance left -applying as a graduate, which I will work towards while I'm at UoA.

Also

I've looked at unis in Australia too -applying as a non-standard. I've gone through many threads talking about non-standard entries into med, but it's still not quite clear in my head...:huh:
non-standard = selection by UMAT result & gpa (& interview)? I think? And you can apply for it as long as you're studying at uni? From any area of study (eg. does it have to be a science related degree)?

If my 1st year gpa did end up as B+, would it pull down the overall gpa that will be used for applying as NZ graduate & Aus non-standard? Would it affect a lot? If it does, what could I do about it?

Sorry for asking so many questions:unsure: My brain's overloaded with med application pathways atm (should be overloaded with 107 & 110 stuff...)

Sony

Hey.. well you do have a couple of options.. You could go for graduate entry medicine or you could go for non-standard entry.
For non-standard entry in Australia you need a minimum gpa of 5 (depending on the university), the course that you're enrolled in doesn't matter, so you could be an arts or science student, as long as you are an undergraduate student, and you need a good umat sccore (depending on the university). If you get a good gpa and umat score you will be invited for an interview.

Corn_Add_Risk

Relax dude! Dont give up if A minus is the best you can aim for, aim for that. The grade thresholds have risen this year, so that could mean that the GPA for interview may be lower or stay the same as previous years (7.5), so you still have a shot.
As to aus unis Sony has it correct. I would reccomend that you try for undergraduate entry, even if it is in aus. Graduate entry is long and hard especially in auckland. O btw for grad entry in auck they take your final two years GPA if you have previously done OLY1.

Jordan

http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au...eral-discussion-thread&highlight=non+standard

Take a look at this, it's got a lot of info about non-standard entry but you might have to sift through a bit of irrelevant chit chat.

As far as the requirements go (damn I'm good at procrastination!);

UNCLE: GPA ~5 UMAT - they've changed the selection process this year to include a 50:50:50 rule then applicants are selected solely on S1
UNSW: GPA will get combined with your high school leaving score 50:50. UMAT will depend on your final academic score, look on their website for a guide but at an information evening the average score was quoted as ~60. Places are given equally based on ATAR/GPA, UMAT and interview.
UWS: For one full year of study you will need a GPA of 6.0 and ~152 weighted UMAT (S1:S2:S3 = 1:1:0.5). Places are 2/3 interview and 1/3 UMAT.
UTAS: For one year of study you'll need ATAR equivalent >90 and a WAM of 70%. Applicants are then ranked solely on UMAT, last years cutoff was ~58.
JCU: I don't really know how JCU works, sorry. I know they don't use UMAT though. Possibly [MENTION=8323]bennjamin[/MENTION] can shed some light on it?

All of the GPA's are on a 7 point scale, I'm not sure how the conversion works. I suggest that you just do your best this year to get the best GPA possible. This will give you the greatest number of options.

Also take a look at http://heydoc.net/ for information on what scores did and didn't get offers for interviews and places.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

4everAlone

I went through and applied for all the aussie unis and stuff last year too, pretty much all the important stuff has been said but if you have any more specic questions feel free to pm me! =)

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
JCU: I don't really know how JCU works, sorry. I know they don't use UMAT though. Possibly [MENTION=8323]bennjamin[/MENTION] can shed some light on it?

JCU uses your GPA (predicted or actual) and a written application to determine whether you get an interview. There is no UMAT used, and once into the interview stage admittance is based on your actual GPA, interview performance and rurality (if you are rural). The interview is panel-based with 3 interviewers from the local community, questions are initially semi-structured - i.e. they have set follow-up questions for a few or it's based on what the interviewer can come up with to further delve into the interviewee's capability - but are interspersed with 2 or 3 scenario questions usually based on dealing with rural situations (representative scenarios can be found in the Interview Question Time thread started by Matt) and the interview is capped off with a discussion on a topic from the recent news - e.g. for last year there was euthanasia, gay marriage, import of coal and it's effects on the economy/coal mining, binge drinking.. so forth.

The initial written application is VERY important in distinguishing yourself from other non-standard applicants who likely have quite high GPA's. There's a fair few non-standards in our course, but I'm not entirely sure if they're discriminated against in the application process (i.e. if there's a seperate non-standard pool or if they're grouped with normal applications..) Regardless, I expect the minimum GPA would be in the >6 area depending on how rural you are and how good your interview is.

Sony

When I called JCU the lady there said that they had around 15-20 seats for non-standards and that I would need a VERY high gpa to get in :S

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
When I called JCU the lady there said that they had around 15-20 seats for non-standards and that I would need a VERY high gpa to get in :S

That is correct. Your looking at a GPA of 6.5 to get an interview as a non-standard. Keep in mind the written application has a huge focus to get that interview.

oysters

Hi everyone =)
Thank you so very much for all advices and informations!
After reading them, I think I feel a little bit better (not as stressed as before)!
Sorry that I couldn't come back any earlier. Time just flies away these days:bored:
Can't believe it's Monday again in 1hr!

I have a couple more questions,

1) Regarding ATAR, I'm guessing that it'll be the equivalent of NCEA, but does anybody know what happens if I haven't taken NCEA or CIE or IB? I went for an OE during the last half of my college life (after taking NCEA lv1), and graduated college there.

2) I was just curious about the rules for applying as non-standard to Australia:
Say, if I was really good at Biology, and took all 7papers of the lv1 Biology in one year, could I still apply for non-standard entries? Even though the only subject I took was Bio?
Or, do the papers have to be the core ones for the course?

Questions just keep poping up:huh:

>Sony
Thank you!
Ooh that's good that the course type doesn't matter =) . Good GPA and UMAT - will definately work on those!

>Corn_Add_Risk
Thank you!
Yes, I think I'll give it all and try slip myself into the A- average! Or as closest to A- that I can get =) . Yea I hear that grad entry is super hard =O !!! I'll apply as undergrad for as long as I can, and probably apply as grad when the time comes to move on with life.

>ashillis91
Thank you for the links and the lists!
I was wondering if I should do UMAT this year, but I might as well give it a go =) . It might be a good opportunity to get used to the test style. I think I saw a thread that had a 7point --> 9point GPA conversion thing written, so I'll go search for it =) !

>4everAlone
Oh that'd be great =) thank you!
Things are quite different from NZ and Aussie which confuses me when I'm looking at some application processes =S . I'll run to you for help when I'm really lost X) !

>bennjamin
Thank you for the details =) !
I didn't know that there was a written application -I should search about it.
And I'd assumed that only health-related news were talked about in the interviews =O seems like it's not quite so =/ . Will keep my GPA as highest as possible!!!

iUsername

and so,

In NZ I have 1 more chance left -applying as a graduate, which I will work towards while I'm at UoA.

If you don't apply for medicine this year (i.e submit a m3oh form) then you will have 2 cracks at med via grad entry at Auckland.
I'm also fairly sure that OLY1 scores aren't considered if you apply for grad (someone confirm please)?
Besides that you've still got a shot at Otago via grad too, I'm not sure how many times you can apply for that so you'll have to ask the Otago kids. OLY1 scores would be counted for Otago

Edit: You can only apply once for Otago via Grad entry I'm afraid....Thanks GreenGlacier

Last edited:

greenglacier

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
In response to a previous post, you can only apply ONCE for Otago grad entry (regardless of whether you applied from HSFY or not). (And yes, OLY1 grades would be considered)

Tupac4life

With regards to UNSW I have my high school results readily available but with regards to University results what are we supposed to send in? Our first semester results? How do we get an official copy of the results anyway? I mean at high school last year I did GCE A levels and because they didn't come out early enough I got my offer rejected by UNSW for 2011 medicine. Now I have 3 A* grades for 3 A Levels and 2 A grades for 2 AS Levels [ 20 points = >99 ATAR according to UNSW ATAR-GCE A LEVEL conversion table ] so I was wondering do I have to apply through the non-standard entry where they look both at the ATAR and GPA or is there another option where I can just put my ATAR from 2010 through and treated this year 2011 as a "Gap year" ? Pretty confused at the moment can someone please give me some advice on what I should do?

Quirino

Applying to Australian Med Schools at the end of OLY1

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here knows which Medical Schools in Australia one can apply to if you are in first year Biomed
And also, someone PLEASE clarify once and for all, for the interview selection process at Auckland, do they use all 8 papers or just the 4 core papers? Please give evidence!

Cheers guys

4everAlone

"1. Overlapping Year 1
In the year of application, applicants must complete (within one academic year, excluding Summer Semester) the eight required first year courses in either the Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHSc) or the Bachelor of Science (BSc Biomedical Science) at the University of Auckland, listed in the tables below. Candidates should be aware that only the first attempt for these courses will be considered for medical admissions in the overlapping year one category.

Following the successful completion of the eight prescribed first year courses, applicants achieving a minimum GPA of 6.0 (B+ average) are eligible for consideration for an admissions interview.

All eligible applicants will then be ranked on their grades achieved in the four common courses (highlighted below in bold) that are offered in both the BHSc and the BSc (Biomedical Science) programmes.

Twice as many eligible candidates as there are places available in the medical programme will be interviewed."

http://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/faculty/undergrad/mbchb/entry.aspx

Why do people find that so hard to get? Haha it's all on the website!! You are ranked on your four core papers for an interview and for a place, otherwise how would it be fair comparing health science students and biomed students when they do different papers?

kakarot

i think i may have seen that question answered far too many times ^^;

Just something to add, regardless of the non core/core paper requirements to get an interview, just do as well as possible for all, since if you go grad you'd probably apply for Otago (counts OLY1 grades) as well as Auckland (doesnt count OLY1) Not to mention aussie will look at your overall gpa too

Last edited:

frootloop

Doctor
1) Aussie unis will look at your uni transcript. Some (not sure which ones, I know Bond is among them, and I think UNSW might be too..) will also take you ATAR into account.
2) On a moderation note: Questions such as 'what GPA will I need to get in?' are likely to have been answered before, please use the search function/read this thread to find your answer :)
Thanks, frootloop (NZ section moderator).

iUsername

Hi,

And also, someone PLEASE clarify once and for all, for the interview selection process at Auckland, do they use all 8 papers or just the 4 core papers? Please give evidence!

Cheers guys

Gosh darn it! The answer to this is on the Rumors thread!!! Please read all relevant threads before posting...your on holiday so don't be lazy :p

Tupac4life

Is the 7.5 referring to core or non-core GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.