Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

OP prediction

anika99

Hi! I'd like an OP prediction based on my results from year 11. So far I've heard a prediction of 1-5, but I'll need a 1 to study medicine in QLD. (I don't have a preference of university - I'll go wherever they take me!)

I go to a small private school in a rural area and our school typically has 2-4 OP1's each year. We generally perform above the state average in the QCS test, and my cohort is expected to do well.

Here are my LOA's and class ranks from year 11 (2016):

Maths B - VHA 6 (2nd out of 36)
Maths C - VHA 5 (1st out of 11)
English - VHA 10 (1st out of 60)
Biology - VHA 9 (1st out of 46)
Chemistry - VHA 7 (1st out of 7)
Physics - VHA 8 (1st out of 9)

I'm hoping to improve in Maths B and C in year 12.

Last edited:

Dazzy

pink, 113
That looks like an OP1-3

Your class sizes are really small so I don't know. you're topping like 5 subjects so that's really good. Do you know what grade the 2nd person in your cohort got for all the subjects that you topped? If so, i can make a more accurate prediction

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Hi! I'd like an OP prediction based on my results from year 11. So far I've heard a prediction of 1-5, but I'll need a 1 to study medicine in QLD. (I don't have a preference of university - I'll go wherever they take me!)

I go to a small private school in a rural area and our school typically has 2-4 OP1's each year. We generally perform above the state average in the QCS test, and my cohort is expected to do well.

Here are my LOA's and class ranks from year 11 (2016):

Maths B - VHA 6 (2nd out of 36)
Maths C - VHA 5 (1st out of 11)
English - VHA 10 (1st out of 50)
Biology - VHA 9 (1st out of 46)
Chemistry - VHA 7 (1st out of 7)
Physics - VHA 8 (1st out of 10)

I'm hoping to improve in Maths B and C in year 12.

Although OPs are dependent on a lot of different factors (e.g. QCS) which vary year by year making it difficult to accurately predict OPs from this information alone, at the moment your chances at an OP1 are looking good, especially given your school has 2-4 OP1s a year and you're topping 5 subjects. My school gave OP prediction ranges as well (1-4, 2-5, etc.) and for us, if we got a 1-4 prediction it means we were predicted a 1 (i.e. if you were predicted a 2 you would most likely receive a prediction in the next range) though I would check with your Dean of Studies or equivalent if you want a more specific information. Keep in mind that your chemistry class (and maybe maths c/physics if anyone drops out) will be scaled differently to standard scaling since it has less than ten OP-eligible students. See this page for more information regarding scaling and calculations of OPs. Remember, in Queensland your subject cohort performance in QCS greatly influences your final OP result, so make sure your school is preparing for this adequately.

Keep working hard and try to improve on these already very good results to better your chances. I wish you the best of luck for year 12 and congratulations on your results this year!

Last edited:

anika99

Thanks for the replies!

As for the 2nd person in my cohort...

Maths C - VHA 5 (we were really close)
English - VHA 8
Physics - VHA 3
Chemistry - VHA 5
Biology - VHA 6

Then in Maths B, the top student had a VHA 7

anika99

Thank you!! Which subjects would you recommend I concentrate most on improving if I want to aim for an OP1? I've heard that some universities offer a "bonus ranking" to students studying Maths C... How accurate is this really? I'm certainly not planning on taking any chances.

looks like an OP1 or high OP2....btw amazing results! well done :D[/QUOTE

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Thank you!! Which subjects would you recommend I concentrate most on improving if I want to aim for an OP1? I've heard that some universities offer a "bonus ranking" to students studying Maths C... How accurate is this really? I'm certainly not planning on taking any chances.

I'd say focus on physics and maths C since physics students followed by maths C students generally perform the best in QCS and thus are scaled better. Of course it would be great if you could get all your subjects into the VHA8-10 range and judging by your current results this is achievable as I found that many people in my cohort improved significantly from year 11 to 12 since you get used to the assessment and work load. For UQ the bonus points are a good safety measure since in case you get an OP2, you will still be OP1 equivalent (and you are eligible for 2 so that's all good). Remember if you're thinking about applying to a uni with UMAT, also consider preparing for that.

Dazzy

pink, 113

As Isiyara said definitely focus on math C and Physics. I would also focus on English (usually scales really well).

Yes UQ gives 2 bonus ranks to maths C/LOTE students and if you can apply for EAS they give up to 5 bonus points (but i don't think you would need it ;)).

btw are you planning on just only applying to uni's in qld?

anika99

I'm essentially planning to stay in QLD, but I'd be fine with going out of state. I'm just not sure if I'll be appealing to universities outside of QLD... Like, even if I get an OP1, what's that compared to a NSW applicant with an ATAR of 99.95?

Last edited:

Isiyara

UQ MD II
I'm essentially planning to stay in QLD, but I'd be fine with going out of state. I'm just not sure if I'll be appealing to universities outside of QLD... Like, even if I get an OP1, what's that compared to a NSW applicant with an ATAR of 99.99?

Totally agree with Dazzy.
I definitely recommend applying everywhere in Australia especially for something like medicine. Each university has a unique set of requirements/cut-offs and applying for all of them really maximises your chances as you never really know how you'll go! Also every state has high ATARs and high UMAT scores and you'll always be competing with these people regardless if whether you're in QLD or NSW (though NSW probably would have more 99.95s than QLD due to the higher population but they also do have many medical schools). As a QLD applicant you are able to know your ATAR if you submit an ATAR application form (see this post).

A1

Rookie Doc
Yes UQ gives 2 bonus ranks to maths C/LOTE students and if you can apply for EAS they give up to 5 bonus points (but i don't think you would need it ;)).

The 1st and 3rd parts of this^ are correct, the middle part about EAS is also correct but only by itself. Any courses eligible for the Bonus Rank Points (like UQ Med) you cannot also apply EAS points to it.

I'm just not sure if I'll be appealing to universities outside of QLD... Like, even if I get an OP1, what's that compared to a NSW applicant with an ATAR of 99.99?

OP is a less precise number than ATAR. OP1 is equivalent to the range of 99.0 - 99.95, if you are at the top end of OP1 you're equiv to 99.95, middle = 99.50, bottom = 99.0 . For unis like Unsw, Griffith... that need a precise number they ask QACC to provide the ATAR equivalent of your own OP.

A1

Rookie Doc
So if I get a lower-end OP1, will Universities in QLD also look into that?

Griffith Med will look into it and reject lower-end OP1, because their cutoffs are typically 99.7-99.8

UQ Med doesn't care whether lower or upper end, its criteria is simply OP1 (or ATAR >=99.0). Since it's a hurdle 99.9 has no advantage over 99.1, UQ doesn't need to find out 99.(what).

Sorry I don't know about JCU, maybe someone can chip in.

Dazzy

pink, 113
The 1st and 3rd parts of this^ are correct, the middle part about EAS is also correct but only by itself. Any courses eligible for the Bonus Rank Points (like UQ Med) you cannot also apply EAS points to it.

omg A1p so EAS doesn't count for med? what? o_O

A1

Rookie Doc

Skhskh

Lurker
That looks like an OP1-3

Your class sizes are really small so I don't know. you're topping like 5 subjects so that's really good. Do you know what grade the 2nd person in your cohort got for all the subjects that you topped? If so, i can make a more accurate prediction
Hi, could you please predict my Op
My yr 12 results are:
Mathematics B: VHA 1
Mathematics C: VHA 3
Physics : VHA 1
Aerospace studies: VHA 5
Biology: SA10
English: SA8

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, could you please predict my Op
My yr 12 results are:
Mathematics B: VHA 1
Mathematics C: VHA 3
Physics : VHA 1
Aerospace studies: VHA 5
Biology: SA10
English: SA8
This is impossible to predict accurately with this information alone. Your school should provide you with a prediction that would be more accurate than what anyone on here could give you.