Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Open Dental Lab Session Options

Hi everyone. I am an international student from Canada and am in my last year of Uni. I am looking at applying to Dental school within the year and have narrowed my choice down to schools in US and Australia. Currently due to the exchange rate, studying in US will end up costing more than I am willing to pay so I am heavily leaning towards applying to Melbourne, Sydney and UWA. However, there is something I am unsure about and would like some help. While shadowing my family dentist, who also studied in the States I found out that he was one of the few people in his class that struggled with their hand skills. He told me that he was in a class full of Dental assistants and technicians, thus had to work harder to catch up to the rest of the class. Most of the schools in US have open lab sessions, where students can drop in and practice anytime, without the need of supervision and that was the main reason why he was able to improve. Having checked out this site, there was previously a student who was asked to take a leave of absence because their hand skills were poor and from what I could tell, they did not have open lab sessions to take advantage of and improve. So my main question is are there any schools in Australia, undergrad or postgrad that have open lab sessions, where we can improve our skills. If not then what type of support are we provided to improve. I know some schools allow you to repeat the year but then it ends up costing a lot more than I am budgeting for my studies

TKAO

ima head to oooo-wahhh for med
Valued Member
I am sure that it is in both yours and the university's best interest that you graduate with proper skills - hand skills or otherwise. To that extent, I believe you would probably need to get to know your lab teacher and see whether he is willing to just sit in the room and mark papers (for example) while you practice your skills. I think Yamster , a dental student and moderator of this site would be able to answer your question in greater detail.