Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Options Available

Kinetica

Hi All

I have completed 6 months of my MD degree overseas. (I'm an Australian citizen and resident). I continually read the barriers particularly pertaining to obtaining an internship for IMG's and am therefore attempting to reevaluate my options. Any suggestions of whether I should continue with my current course or should I seek a spot in Australia? (Captain Obvious you may say however here is my situation).

* I completed my degrees more than 10 years ago and my understanding is that all of the graduate programs only accept if study prior to 10 years ago.
* I did GAMSAT a few years ago prior to knowing the 10 year rule and scored 62 (Not great but not terrible I guess).
* I'm non-rural.
* I applied to JCU last 2 years but not even got a look in, even with a GPA of 6.7.

So, do I continue with my current degree and hope that I can secure an internship after completing the AMC exams (these don't worry me too much. Im used to exams). Or what other options do I have?

Thanks

chinaski

Captain Obvious still applies. If you want to get an internship in Australia, study in an Australian university. The AMC exams aren't the issue here; the fact will still be that Australia has no need to import PGY1 doctors, so even if you pass those exams with flying colours, the door still won't be open.

Kinetica

Thanks Chin. Do you know recent stats on number of IMGs that applied and of which offered internship.

As for the suggestions, do you have any more specific info other than study in Australia?

Thanks

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Didn't we all warn you about these issues a year or so ago? Did you end up going to OUM? How do we know you're going to take any of our advice this time?

chinaski

Thanks Chin. Do you know recent stats on number of IMGs that applied and of which offered internship.
Nope, but I'd wager I could count them on one hand.

As for the suggestions, do you have any more specific info other than study in Australia?
Look into schools without a 10-year rule on first degree, supplement your first degree with further study so you are eligible for grad schools with a 10-year rule, study for GAMSAT, work on your portfolio. But you knew all of this already, surely. There is no other way to be competitive to get a job as PGY1 in Australia. You can't turn an overseas medical degree into gold here.

Kinetica

Didn't we all warn you about these issues a year or so ago? Did you end up going to OUM?
You did yes but figured I may as well make a start rather than sit around wondering what to do. The course is good thanks.

Let's be clear I'm not bitter and twisted I've simply gone ahead with the option of obtaining my degree as I'm adamant I want to be a doctor. It's just a shame that Australian uni's have put all these restrictions on entry. I'm only asking as I'm not sure if the landscape has changed since last year or not.

Nope, but I'd wager I could count them on one hand.

Look into schools without a 10-year rule on first degree, supplement your first degree with further study so you are eligible for grad schools with a 10-year rule, study for GAMSAT, work on your portfolio. But you knew all of this already, surely. There is no other way to be competitive to get a job as PGY1 in Australia.
I wonder if my studies with OUM would count as recent studies?

chinaski

Let's be clear I'm not bitter and twisted I've simply gone ahead with the option of obtaining my degree as I'm adamant I want to be a doctor. It's just a shame that Australian uni's have put all these restrictions on entry. I'm only asking as I'm not sure if the landscape has changed since last year or not.
Australian universities have not restricted the provision of PGY1 jobs - the healthcare sector has - and I am fully supportive of this (as are most people in the system, I think you'll find). Perhaps you could look into being a doctor in the country in which you are studying, given that the landscape - unsurprisingly - has not changed, and is not likely to do so.

Ian Naga

Lurker
Hi All

I have completed 6 months of my MD degree overseas. (I'm an Australian citizen and resident). I continually read the barriers particularly pertaining to obtaining an internship for IMG's and am therefore attempting to reevaluate my options. Any suggestions of whether I should continue with my current course or should I seek a spot in Australia? (Captain Obvious you may say however here is my situation).

* I completed my degrees more than 10 years ago and my understanding is that all of the graduate programs only accept if study prior to 10 years ago.
* I did GAMSAT a few years ago prior to knowing the 10 year rule and scored 62 (Not great but not terrible I guess).
* I'm non-rural.
* I applied to JCU last 2 years but not even got a look in, even with a GPA of 6.7.

So, do I continue with my current degree and hope that I can secure an internship after completing the AMC exams (these don't worry me too much. Im used to exams). Or what other options do I have?

Thanks
No straight path. Your best bet would have been to do another Bachelors in Australia (perhaps an accelerated 2 year Bachelors and preferably from a Uni located in a rural area like CDU (Darwin). That way you could come under the rural preference for NT medicine for example. You moved countries and hence moving within Australia shouldn't be an issue I presume.

Depending on where overseas, it is not straight forward and could be extremely difficult. Be prepared to work where you are doing your MD or elsewhere. The easier route would be to do the medical degree in England as you are guaranteed Foundation year F1 and F2 (equivalent to our PGY1/PGY2-internship/residency). Then use a route like this to get back:

I think it is best to stay away from Ireland as F1 is hard to get there.
If you are not doing medicine in England/US/Canada, and if your sole aim is to work in Australia, you should seriously reconsider.

Best wishes.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
I wonder if my studies with OUM would count as recent studies?
Likely not - in fact, some universities prohibit you from applying altogether if you've previously been enrolled in a medical degree.