Optometry

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Roy Thomas, Feb 26, 2018.

1. sss324

sss324 New Member

actually because I'm the first cohort, there were only 2 students. I had GPA of 6.66 from previous years. I imagine it will go up once people start knowing about it more.

LMG! Soz I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up

2. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    This is interesting, and a good move, imo. Previously, there’s been no capacity to do a number of allied health degrees in Tas, and it’s been difficult to recruit/maintain staffing. No physio, speech path, podiatry, OT, Dent, optom, and only Clin Psych (no neuro, Ed&Dev, Health, etc). Hopefully the Launnie year of optom improves as they develop the course. Thanks for updating us!

3. sss324

sss324 New Member

That's ok and also you are given first shot at doing placements back in tassie. I think the aim is that once you finish, you can stay in tassie to work.

LMG! likes this.
  4. Neekzade

Neekzade New Member

Hi all
    The prerequisite for UNSW optometry are
    Mathematics (note that General Mathematics does not meet the necessary level of assumed knowledge), Chemistry, Physics, English Advanced.(correct me if i m wrong)
    What if i dont have physics as a prerequisite,would i still be eligible to apply. If so would i be reanked lower cause i havent done physic.
    Thanks

5. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Neekzade, those requirements fall under assumed knowledge which differs from prerequisites. You can still apply and won't be ranked any lower had you done it (if physics was indeed a prerequisite then you wouldn't be able to apply but upon searching it up, it falls under assumed knowledge).

It is strongly advised that students who lack the recommended level of assumed knowledge take bridging courses or undertake other preparation before enrolling.

If you do end up getting an offer, it's probably best to do a bridging course before actually attending otherwise you might struggle in first year

Hope this helps!

Source: Bachelor of Vision Science with a Master of Clinical Optometry | School of Optometry and Vision Science

Neekzade likes this.
  6. Neekzade

Neekzade New Member

So UNSW dosent have any prerequisite. Right

7. Yamster

Not from what I can see Neekzade. It all falls under assumed knowledge.

Neekzade likes this.
  8. Neekzade

Neekzade New Member

Also having or not having assumed knowledge subject wont affecr the application, right?
    Its basically for our own performance in the course that we get in, am i correct ?

9. Yamster

It shouldn't unless it is indeed a prerequisite. Yes, it's for your own performance as you basically wouldn't be able to understand some parts of what they teach because they would assumed that you already know the basics. Thus why they recommend you doing a bridging course beforehand.

Neekzade likes this.