Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Optometry

Hi am currently studying at UWA a bachelor of science and am planning to apply for optometry interestate and was wandering what are my options?

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
UNSW
Flinders
Deakin
QUT
Melbourne (post-grad entry only)

(and Auckland, if you want to come to New Zealand!)

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
For UNSW, Flinders, Deakin and QUT, all that is required is a very good ATAR or GPA. I think the whichever is best is taken into account (e.g. I had a poor ATAR and a very good GPA).

Melbourne's OD requires a lot more, such as specific paper prerequisites during your undergraduate degree, and a very good GPA. I believe the GAMSAT can be taken too. This would particularly be useful if you were going to sit GAMSAT anyway for post-grad Medicine entry.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
I would assume they would only look at your GPA. I am under the impression that UNSW, Flinders and Deakin only looked at my GPA.
I did not apply for QUT, so I couldn't tell you about them.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
For application into optometry would i require a UMAT score to apply, or is it just GPA?

Hey Roy,

UMAT used to be a requirement for UNSW/Flinders but has since been removed from the application process. All the undergrad optometry courses are now based solely on GPA if I recall correctly. :)

sss324

There's also a couple of new optom programs opening now. I believe there's a new one from University of Canberra and also one from Utas.

I should also mention that the Utas one has no UMAT requirement and you need a atar above 95. The program is one year in Launceston and 4 years in flinders.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
There's also a couple of new optom programs opening now. I believe there's a new one from University of Canberra and also one from Utas.

I should also mention that the Utas one has no UMAT requirement and you need a atar above 95. The program is one year in Launceston and 4 years in flinders.

Is the Tasmanian program integrated with Flinders or can it be studied standalone?

sss324

Nope it's integrated with Flinders. So as part of having better access to healthcare in tas and WA, both Utas and Curtin now have a program where you do the first year in tas/WA and then go to Adelaide to do 2nd to 5th year at Flinders. The first year is just general science and you start doing more optom specific subjects in second year.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Wait, so you actually have to move after a few years of studies to study at a different interstate tertiary institution? Would you say it's similar to the JMP joint UNE/UoN program in that sense?

sss324

It's actually just a Flinders program. I think the first year in utas was pretty average in my opinion. Hopefully the Flinders program will be better when I start next year. I also got into QUT optom next year so depending on where my bf does dent next year. Fingers crossed he gets into Adelaide Uni.

Oh and sorry yes, you have to move after first year but it's not quite like JMP. I don't think u need to move between UNE and UoN during the degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
It's actually just a Flinders program. I think the first year in utas was pretty average in my opinion. Hopefully the Flinders program will be better when I start next year. I also got into QUT optom next year so depending on where my bf does dent next year. Fingers crossed he gets into Adelaide Uni.

Do you graduate with a Flinders degree or a UTAS one?

sss324

You graduate with a Flinders degree. Here's the link if you're interested Optometry. I was the first cohort.

The flinders degree is an undergraduate for 3 years and 2 years master so similar to Griffith and Latrobe dent program. You have to get above credit average for the undergraduate to get into the masters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Woah, so there's only 5 students in your cohort?! What's that like/what are the entry requirements?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Oh and sorry yes, you have to move after first year but it's not quite like JMP. I don't think u need to move between UNE and UoN during the degree.

Just an FYI re. JMP: UNE students do years 1-3 in Armidale, then 4&5 in Newy.