Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Oral Health Schools Selection Criteria (2021 Updated)

2xq

Allied Health Member
For those considering Oral Health as an alternative career to medicine/dentistry, this is the page that'll list all UNDERGRADUATE accredited courses (Australian Programs) that'll allow you to practice as an Oral Health Therapist in a very digestible table much like Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards AND UPDATED Dentistry Schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards. (Link: Accredited Dental Practitioner Programs - Australian Dental Council).

If there is anything missing/incorrect about the following table, please let me know! :yay: (Also there's nothing on non-standard entry well because... there's simply nothing online to go off.)

UniversityDegree OfferedCourse LengthATAR/Lowest Selection Rank (LSR)Prerequisites (PR)/Assumed Knowledge (AK)Notes
Central Queensland University (CQU)Bachelor of Oral Health3 Years81.70 (ATAR)English (Units 3 and 4, C); one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics (Units 3 and 4, C) (PR)- Recommended Studies: English, Science, Mathematics or equivalent
Charles Sturt University (CSU)Bachelor of Oral Health (Therapy and Hygiene)3 Years70.75 (LSR 2021 Entry)English Standard, Chemistry. (AK)- Recommended Studies: Biology
Curtin UniversityBachelor of Science (Oral Health Therapy)3 Years88.75 (LSR)None- Desirable: Human Biology ATAR or Biology ATAR.
- Internal Transfer Available (<10 Places)
La Trobe UniversityBachelor of Oral Health Science3 Years/2.5 Years Accelerated85.00 (LSR 2021 Entry)Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 25 in one of Biology, Chemistry or Physical Education. Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL. (PR)- SEAS Available
- Subject Adjustments Available: VCE: A study score of 30 in Physical Education or any Science equals 4 aggregate points per study. A study score of 25 in Health And Human Development or any Mathematics equals 4 aggregate points per study. A study score of 20 in any LOTE equals 4 aggregate points per study. Overall maximum of 12 points.
University of Adelaide (UoA)Bachelor of Oral Health3 YearsNo Data Available (Sadge Moment) :/SACE: One 20-credit SACE Stage 2 Tertiary Admission Subject from the Mathematics or Science Learning Areas OR IB equivalent subjects OR Equivalent University courses (i.e. 1st year Human Biology as part of the Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences program) (PR)

A necessary precursor for success in the BOH program is a high proficiency in the written and oral use of the English language. (AK)
- UCAT & INTERVIEW
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Pathway Available
University of Melbourne (UniMelb)Bachelor of Oral Health3 Years85.05 (LSR 2021 Entry)Units 3 & 4: A study score of at least 25 in English/English Language/Literature or at least 30 in EAL, and at least 25 in one of Biology or Chemistry. (PR)- SEAS Available (Access Melbourne);
University of Newcastle (UoN)Bachelor of Oral Health Therapy3 Years81.25 (Selection Rank)None- Recommended Studies: Biology, Chemistry.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Program
- Elite Athlete Program
- EAS Available
- Regional and Rural Adjustment Scheme
- Subject Adjustments CLICK HERE
University of Sydney (USyd)Bachelor of Oral Health3 Years82.95 (LSR 2020 Entry)

96.00 (LSR 2023 Entry Dec Round 2)
Biology and/or Chemistry. (AK)- MMI INTERVIEW (NO LONGER FROM 2023 ENTRY ONWARDS)
- E12 Entry Scheme Available.

Last edited:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Just to touch on Curtin non-standard enrty - you can course switch into their program if you don't get the desired ATAR or change your mind midway through your first degree at curtin. Just be aware that it can be quite difficult so try to get in directly through ATAR if you can.

Panda4

Hi, I want to do dentistry but I can only have a chance at JCU and La Trobe so I am looking at oral health therapy. My predicted ATAR is around 96 so I think I will have a good chance at most unis maybe? I looked at Uni of New Castle and even though the selection rank is 90.35, the median selection rank is 99. Do you think I could make this course?

2xq

Allied Health Member
Hi, I want to do dentistry but I can only have a chance at JCU and La Trobe so I am looking at oral health therapy. My predicted ATAR is around 96 so I think I will have a good chance at most unis maybe? I looked at Uni of New Castle and even though the selection rank is 90.35, the median selection rank is 99. Do you think I could make this course?
If you're looking into getting into Oral Health courses, your ATAR should be fine.

jojochiwa

Lurker
Hey, I'm actually an oral health therapy student at UniMelb. I would say that a 96 ATAR would be super competitive for any universities in Australia for the bachelor of oral health. I transferred in with a 78 WAM from memory but a lot of my friends who came straight from high school had 85-90 ATAR's.

Panda4

If you're looking into getting into Oral Health courses, your ATAR should be fine.
Hey, I'm actually an oral health therapy student at UniMelb. I would say that a 96 ATAR would be super competitive for any universities in Australia for the bachelor of oral health. I transferred in with a 78 WAM from memory but a lot of my friends who came straight from high school had 85-90 ATAR's.
Thank you two so much for responding! Since it can be somewhat assumed that I could make all of the BOH courses, which one is the best (in terms of study environment, equipment and pay straight out of uni)?

2xq

Allied Health Member
Thank you two so much for responding! Since it can be somewhat assumed that I could make all of the BOH courses, which one is the best (in terms of study environment, equipment and pay straight out of uni)?
It won't matter where you go all that much. You will be able to work as an accredited oral health therapist. The only real thing you should consider would be the location of each university and how convenient it is for you to get to.

Panda4

It won't matter where you go all that much. You will be able to work as an accredited oral health therapist. The only real thing you should consider would be the location of each university and how convenient it is for you to get to.
I also couldn’t find the page for dental hygiene anywhere on MSO. I was looking at Griffith Dental Hygiene and because I don’t have a high enough raw ATAR, I had a quick look at the subject adjustments. I saw this on the Griffith website but I have never heard of a uni giving away 2 adjustments per science. Does this sound right to you?

2xq

Allied Health Member
I also couldn’t find the page for dental hygiene anywhere on MSO. I was looking at Griffith Dental Hygiene and because I don’t have a high enough raw ATAR, I had a quick look at the subject adjustments. I saw this on the Griffith website but I have never heard of a uni giving away 2 adjustments per science. Does this sound right to you?
So I believe it may have those adjustments.
Quick Note: I didn't included Dental Hygiene because they aren't qualified as Oral Health Therapists.
There's the reason why it isn't on the table listed above.

ThunderDragon

I've heard Adelaide has a pretty good simulation lab. A note on Adelaide Oral Health tho is that UCAT and interviews are required.

Anti-Dentite

Dentist | Oral Health Therapist
While 2xq is mostly right, please check if adult scope has been incorporated into the BOH program you wish to enrol in. Historically, adult scope was an accredited CPD (although accreditation is no longer required) course taken after BOH. Recent changes in some programs mean that some graduates will automatically have it while others won't.

Reactions: 2xq

kaoswolf4

Lurker
Is university typically accepting credit transfers? Like a prestigious uni - USYD accepting other university transfer for like first year studies?

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Is university typically accepting credit transfers? Like a prestigious uni - USYD accepting other university transfer for like first year studies?
Unfortunately you can't really make blanket statements on this. In general, yes they can depending on whether there is a similar unit at USyd, or whether your degree allows for electives or not etc. You need to email them and ask

taytay

Lurker
For those considering Oral Health as an alternative career to medicine/dentistry, this is the page that'll list all UNDERGRADUATE accredited courses (Australian Programs) that'll allow you to practice as an Oral Health Therapist in a very digestible table much like Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards AND UPDATED Dentistry Schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards. (Link: Accredited Dental Practitioner Programs - Australian Dental Council).

If there is anything missing/incorrect about the following table, please let me know! :yay: (Also there's nothing on non-standard entry well because... there's simply nothing online to go off.)

UniversityDegree OfferedCourse LengthATAR/Lowest Selection Rank (LSR)Prerequisites (PR)/Assumed Knowledge (AK)Notes
Central Queensland University (CQU)Bachelor of Oral Health3 Years81.70 (ATAR)English (Units 3 and 4, C); one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics (Units 3 and 4, C) (PR)- Recommended Studies: English, Science, Mathematics or equivalent
Charles Sturt University (CSU)Bachelor of Oral Health (Therapy and Hygiene)3 Years70.75 (LSR 2021 Entry)English Standard, Chemistry. (AK)- Recommended Studies: Biology
Curtin UniversityBachelor of Science (Oral Health Therapy)3 Years88.75 (LSR)None- Desirable: Human Biology ATAR or Biology ATAR.
- Internal Transfer Available (<10 Places)
La Trobe UniversityBachelor of Oral Health Science3 Years/2.5 Years Accelerated85.00 (LSR 2021 Entry)Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 25 in one of Biology, Chemistry or Physical Education. Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL. (PR)- SEAS Available
- Subject Adjustments Available: VCE: A study score of 30 in Physical Education or any Science equals 4 aggregate points per study. A study score of 25 in Health And Human Development or any Mathematics equals 4 aggregate points per study. A study score of 20 in any LOTE equals 4 aggregate points per study. Overall maximum of 12 points.
University of Adelaide (UoA)Bachelor of Oral Health3 YearsNo Data Available (Sadge Moment) :/SACE: One 20-credit SACE Stage 2 Tertiary Admission Subject from the Mathematics or Science Learning Areas OR IB equivalent subjects OR Equivalent University courses (i.e. 1st year Human Biology as part of the Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences program) (PR)

A necessary precursor for success in the BOH program is a high proficiency in the written and oral use of the English language. (AK)
- UCAT & INTERVIEW
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Pathway Available
University of Melbourne (UniMelb)Bachelor of Oral Health3 Years85.05 (LSR 2021 Entry)Units 3 & 4: A study score of at least 25 in English/English Language/Literature or at least 30 in EAL, and at least 25 in one of Biology or Chemistry. (PR)- SEAS Available (Access Melbourne);
University of Newcastle (UoN)Bachelor of Oral Health Therapy3 Years81.25 (Selection Rank)None- Recommended Studies: Biology, Chemistry.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Program
- Elite Athlete Program
- EAS Available
- Regional and Rural Adjustment Scheme
- Subject Adjustments CLICK HERE
University of Sydney (USyd)Bachelor of Oral Health3 Years82.95 (LSR 2020 Entry)

96.00 (LSR 2023 Entry Dec Round 2)
Biology and/or Chemistry. (AK)- MMI INTERVIEW (NO LONGER FROM 2023 ENTRY ONWARDS)
- E12 Entry Scheme Available.
Hello.
I got an offer for UoN Newcastle oral health. I really want to get into med, but OHT is my backup degree that I see myself doing, so I think this is the best degree. I was wondering if it is likely to get a 5.9 GPA+ or if it’s reallyyy difficult. I know everything needs hard work but it’s about 2h 30min to get there and then another 2h 30min to get back home, so I just want to see if the GPA is achievable. Thank you!!!

2xq

Allied Health Member
Hello.
I got an offer for UoN Newcastle oral health. I really want to get into med, but OHT is my backup degree that I see myself doing, so I think this is the best degree. I was wondering if it is likely to get a 5.9 GPA+ or if it’s reallyyy difficult. I know everything needs hard work but it’s about 2h 30min to get there and then another 2h 30min to get back home, so I just want to see if the GPA is achievable. Thank you!!!
Hello!
While I can't comment on the courses themselves, all I can say is that for the University of Newcastle, uses the following grading scale:
1688178037256.png
Please do also check the degree unit of study outlines as there could be subjects within the degree that could potentially be ungraded pass/fail subjects.
Apologies if I can't answer your question directly but the best I can do is to say that a distinction grade corresponds to marks for a specific unit of 75-84 (which corresponds to a 6 grade point). Generally speaking though, if BOH is something you are interested in studying, then you'll likely have success in the units that you do within that degree.

That said, I've quoted a previous post regarding how WAM and GPA calculations are calculated should you wish to gauge how it all works below:.
WAM is your "weighted average mark". This is (to put it simply) just an average of your marks (obviously taking into consideration credits for the units you do). The following formula is used.
1640035662209.png

GPA is a scale. For each unit, you can figure out the number associated to each grade [grade point]. 4 being a pass, 5 credit, 6 distinction, 7 high distinction. Universities will specify what mark corresponds to each grade point. Once this is figured out, you will then calculate your GPA using the following formula (Note that this is NOT the same formula used by GEMSAS for Postgraduate medicine).
1640036411098.png

Let's do an example of a WAM and GPA calculation for 1 FTE at a university where 50-64 is a pass, 65-74 credit, 75-84 distinction, and 85+ high distinction and where 0.5 FTE is 24 credit points.

Semester 1
Unit of StudyName of UnitMarkGradeCredit Points
UNIT1001Sample Unit 1A76D6
UNIT1002Sample Unit 2A81D6
UNIT1003Sample Unit 375D6
UNIT1004Sample Unit 461P3
UNIT1005Sample Unit 554P3

Semester 2
Unit of StudyName of UnitMarkGradeCredit Points
UNIT1011Sample Unit 1B92HD6
UNIT1012Sample Unit 2B80D6
UNIT1041Sample Unit 673C6
UNIT1070Sample Unit 779D6

Okay. The WAM over 1 FTE will be calculated to be [(76x6)+(81x6)x(75x6)+(61x3)+(54x3)+(92x6)+(80x6)+(73x6)+(79x6)]/(48) = 76.6875.

GPA will be calculated by converting the WAM to a letter (which will then correspond to a number on a 7.0 scale [i.e. a grade point])
[(6x6)+(6x6)+(6x6)+(4x3)+(4x3)+(7x6)+(6x6)+(5x6)+(6x6)]/(48)=5.75.

Hopefully, this makes sense.
--------------------------------
Edit: On another note, here are some essential things you may want to consider when choosing a university:
The most important things to consider when choosing a university.
  1. Availability of your dream course - Your dream and passion should sit above everything else.
  2. Scholarships and Special Programs - Where would you feel most valued?
  3. Degree Structure - Different universities follow a slightly different curriculum. Consider placements & internship opportunities (Practical experience).
  4. Academic Experience, Resources, Reputations
  5. Networks & Facilities - Faculty Buildings, Cohort-Size & Alumni (Networking Opportunities), Location
  6. Special Considerations - Schemes, Pre-requisites, Additional Selection Criteria

Last edited: