Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Orientation day 2012

philistine

For those starting this year;Home - UTAS - University of Tasmania, Australia

That is a draft of the program.

If I read correctly (not likely...) there is an interview on day 3 :huh:...two months too late? (maybe a 'get to know you' type of thing?)

By the way, I believe we all need first aid certificates, Workplace level-2 (Apply First Aid) by the time we commence Semester 2. Perhaps it's a good idea to do that now (holidays) while we have the time:lol:

Harpwn

Hey guys,

Last year they gave out a little sheet to fill in and take to your interview, just basic questions like, and you pretty much talk about what you wrote. NOT anything at all to be worried about.

With the first aid, iirc, tumss organised a couple groups of first years to do it together, which was fun. But i would suggest waiting until you've started and organising a group with friends and such.

philistine

Okay, thanks. Do you remember if it was a collared shirt and tie situation?

My first aid is just a re-accreditation, I have one but it's a couple of months past its best-before date. (or is it me...).

Last edited:

Harpwn

Don't remember what everyone wore sorry, can't really go wrong with shirt and tie.

I should add, as I just remembered, that last year we met a person in 3rd year who was supposed to be a mentor or help to you if you needed it in that interview, which was a cool. That was the other main focus of the interview so its pretty much a meet/greet and show them your sheet of paper that you answered and talk about it. Its not too much of a formal interview. :)

Rala

Yes, first years will be assigned a third year mentor/buddy in 2012.. and if you're extra lucky that will be me (y)

So, enjoy orientation and I look forward to meeting some of you first years and hopefully being a great mentor for a select few of you..

philistine

Great :) I suppose I have a...1 in 120 chance :/

Is this buddy program non-compulsory, or do lecturers hold a gun to your head? (probably could have worded that a bit better...)

Rala

Great :) I suppose I have a...1 in 120 chance :/

Is this buddy program non-compulsory, or do lecturers hold a gun to your head? (probably could have worded that a bit better...)
You get assigned a buddy regardless, the 'interviews' are compulsory and your buddy will be there along with a staff member.. you don't really have to do much as far as the buddy goes - we're just there to support and inform you when you need it, throughout your first year and beyond if needed!

p.s. you probably have greater chances than that as each buddy takes a few first years under their wing at once :)

Kaylain

Hey guys,

I'm going to be starting first year med at UTAS this year! Just a quick question, the program above only starts on the 22nd(Wed) but the what I got from the Uni says that orientation/enrolment starts on the 20th. So does that mean I only need to go to the clinical school in the city from the 22nd onwards?

Thanks!

philistine

does that mean I only need to go to the clinical school in the city from the 22nd onwards?
Hi Kaylain (and congrats!).

The program I put up is an old draft, I found I while ago. What UTAS gave you (in the email I imagine) is the actual (and accurate) program.

All three of the days 22nd-24th are based in the city, as the school of medicine is only just up the road from the clinical school. (Not on Sandy Bay campus).

From what I can gather, yes, the clinical school tour is on the 24th so you will only need to go there (the clinical school) on that date.

It is probably best to attend all three days ;) (if possible).

p.s; where in Malaysia are you from? (my mummy is from Malacca) :)

Last edited:

Kaylain

The program I put up is an old draft, I found I while ago. What UTAS gave you (in the email I imagine) is the actual (and accurate) program.

p.s; where in Malaysia are you from? (my mummy is from Malacca) :)
Thanks!!

I actually haven't gotten anything from the Uni yet that's why I'm a bit confused. All I have is an offer letter that says the course starts on the 20th. So are they supposed to send me a program of orientation? Because I have no idea where to go and what time to be there :O.

I'm from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah :)

Kaylain

Yes, in your student webmail. https://webmail.utas.edu.au/ log into that (your details can be found in 'eapplication' i.e username, password). Failing that, PM me your email address, and I will forward the email they sent me, too you.
I didn't apply via explication because I'm an international so I don't think I have a webmail yet, will contact the IT resources dept for it, so I guess the info you got is e most accurate then! I'll PM you my email. So you're starting first year too?

philistine

Oh, okay. I am not familiar with that process.

So you're starting first year too?
Yep :)

edit; It turns out [MENTION=6281]utas[/MENTION].edu.au is on the blacklist of pretty much every single email account (hotmail, yahoo, gmail...you name it). I just did a practise run, forwarded the email sent from UTAS to my hotmail account, and it didn't work. So, I will copy and paste the details, and send them to you now. Stand by...

Last edited:

Kaylain

edit; It turns out @utas .edu.au is on the blacklist of pretty much every single email account (hotmail, yahoo, gmail...you name it). I just did a practise run, forwarded the email sent from UTAS to my hotmail account, and it didn't work. So, I will copy and paste the details, and send them to you now. Stand by...
Thanks so much for that! I was about to send you a PM with my email but apparently I can't send PMs till I have posted at least 5 times on a forum. Actually I've been stalking these pages since year 12 times but I never bothered to register.

Really looking forward to starting uni already :)

Kaylain

Oh, okay. I am not familiar with that process.

edit; It turns out @utas .edu.au is on the blacklist of pretty much every single email account (hotmail, yahoo, gmail...you name it). I just did a practise run, forwarded the email sent from UTAS to my hotmail account, and it didn't work. So, I will copy and paste the details, and send them to you now. Stand by...
Thanks so much for that! I couldn't send you a PM just now because I have not posted 5 times on the forums. Actually I've been stalking this forum since year 12 days but never bothered to register.

Really looking forward to starting med school! :)

philistine

I couldn't send you a PM just now because I have not posted 5 times on the forums.
haha, oh dear. get posting. An introduction in the introductions thread, perhaps ;). But, seriously, this place is great, it's helped me out a lot already, and I haven't even started med yet :)

If you have some spare time, check out some of the blogs by Matt and Havox, they have plenty of advice in them;

Coming to terms with studying medicine - Blogs - Med Students Online
Coming to terms with studying medicine: part two - Blogs - Med Students Online
Into the Deep - Blogs - Med Students Online
The Medicine Monster - Blogs - Med Students Online
Finding identity as a medical student/doctor - Blogs - Med Students Online