Otago Dentistry threshold

Discussion in 'Bachelor of Dental Surgery' started by on3wayticket, Jul 25, 2015.

1. on3wayticket

on3wayticket New Member

Hey guys I got an email from one of the admission people.

I was hinted that their is a threshold with the Umat? is this around 70th percentile? can anyone confirm

Thanks.

2. Wington

Wington New Member

last year the threshold was like low 40% in order to get an interview from who I've been asking however that person did not get into dent.

3. Wington

Wington New Member

"threshold" for me as in "who did you know with the lowest umat and still got an interview"

4. on3wayticket

on3wayticket New Member

40th percentile is terribly low, what was his GPA like?

5. on3wayticket

on3wayticket New Member

From what the lady told me, Umat is only used to determine who gets an interview.

6. frootloop

frootloop Otago Trainee Intern (MBChB VI) Moderator

They only use UMAT to determine who gets an interview. Supposedly if you 'pass' the interview they then only take GPA and UMAT into account for admission, but there have been suspicions that if you do super well in your interview your chances are better.

In terms of getting an interview, pretty sure that over the last 4 or 5 years it's been somewhere in the 40th%iles for *each section*. This means that if you do well in 2 sections but you're under the threshold in the other section then you're out (caveat: this last bit may have changed since I last paid attention to this)

7. on3wayticket

on3wayticket New Member

Mhmm 40th percentile in every section. So after you get an interview, your umat is pointless.

The lady I spoke to didn't say too much about umat. She said to be competitive a GPA of 85%+ is needed.

8. frootloop

Oops, you're right. Selection after the interview is based solely on GPA.

9. on3wayticket

on3wayticket New Member

haha, btw yes your right. Under 50th% percentile in any section = good bye

10. Wington

Wington New Member

not too sure what his gpa is like, but what you said about the 85% average, it also depends on how well you went in the interview, I've got friends who had A+ averages, good umat and didn't get an offer from dent but got into med (probably due to the limited spaces avaliable there).

11. Ruth

Ruth Maderator Emeritus

Dentist (Otago 2016)
    2017:

S2 - 42?
    S3 - 40

guccibandz likes this.
  12. kei

kei New Member

Hey guys, once UMAT results are released, how would you know if you've met the threshold or not (via evision)? Will the status of your application change to declined or something if you don't meet the threshold?

13. frootloop

Back in my day the dental school sent out email offers for interviews a few days after UMAT results came out. I'd presume that hasn't changed much(?)

kei likes this.
  14. Verdigris

Verdigris constantly suffering

I got my interview offer on eVision and when I didn't respond initially, they texted me.

kei likes this.
  15. Cindyxue15

Cindyxue15 New Member

Hi guys! With UMAT all done and over, and the anticipation of results and interview offers looming over... thought I’d like to add my scores from last year as a contribution :p
    I’m in 2nd year Dentistry as of this moment, and I’m glad to say my UMAT results were somehow deemed worthy!
    For the record I had S1:44, S2:51, S:45
    Hope this helps anyone! :)

16. kei

kei New Member

Anyone receive a decline already? (Although I’m not too fussed since medicine has always been top priority for me). I just got declined and I think its because of my s2 & s3 scores. My UMAT scores were: s1: 60, s2: 47, s3: 43.

17. StaffOfOne

StaffOfOne New Member

I got an interview with 60:60:50. So I guess my S3 was just above the cut score?

18. kei

kei New Member

Yup I’m guessing the threshold is 40%ile again. Which is ~48 on the curve.

Edit: I just got an email from UoO that the threshold for each section was 46.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  19. dent110011

dent110011 New Member

Hi everyone wasn't sure if this is the correct thread but this looks closest to my question - does anyone know if the interview is pass/fail or graded? and how bad do you have to do to fail/be eliminated from the pool of applicants?

sorry if this is in the wrong thread! debated for a while about where to post!

Thank you

20. Stuart

Stuart Administrator Administrar

Hi,

The interview is a pass/fail assessment. I guess it is hard to say "how bad", but don't focus on that. Focus on how to prove/show them that you are capable and can do what it takes to be a dentist. Don't think of it as a competition.

Good luck!