Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago MBChB Class of 2021

Lego Man

Wow this is notalgia. First time logging in in like two or three years...

One of my mates got both in our year, but they did something on-standard with their application (unintentionally) and it got missed. I can't remember exactly what it was. However, it's super risky anyhow trying to get around the system (and potentially illegal) and those who get caught have to repay their allowance.

I just went with living costs + TI grant. Although if you use your grant as a lump sum to pay your fees then you can access the allowance.

DrFlower

MBChB V
Wow this is notalgia. First time logging in in like two or three years...

One of my mates got both in our year, but they did something on-standard with their application (unintentionally) and it got missed. I can't remember exactly what it was. However, it's super risky anyhow trying to get around the system (and potentially illegal) and those who get caught have to repay their allowance.

I just went with living costs + TI grant. Although if you use your grant as a lump sum to pay your fees then you can access the allowance.
Thank you Lego Man. So when you apply for allowance, you declare that your income is TI grant. How do you tell them if you used it to pay the fees?
Say I paid 17k on fees for my TI and left with ~10k, would I be able to get the allowance. I am grad btw so hopefully can get the lump sum.
Thanks!

Lego Man

Thank you Lego Man. So when you apply for allowance, you declare that your income is TI grant. How do you tell them if you used it to pay the fees?
Say I paid 17k on fees for my TI and left with ~10k, would I be able to get the allowance. I am grad btw so hopefully can get the lump sum.
Thanks!
I believe you have to tell the medical school and they organise your TI grant and act as liaison between yourself and the TEC (gvmt department where the grants come from). You then get an exemption when you apply for student allowance. It may pay to talk to studylink and faculty about it at the time though because it's still a relatively new system and could change over the next few years.

When I went through, we just told faculty and studylink, applied for grant and allowance and they all got approved. Good luck! :)

Carters

Otago MBChB IV
Can anyone who has completed their TI elective give some advice here? Just wondering when the best time to do the elective is as we get to indicate our preference for quarters soon. Are there any particular quarters that are more stressful to do an elective in than others?

quail

PGY1 Intern
Can anyone who has completed their TI elective give some advice here? Just wondering when the best time to do the elective is as we get to indicate our preference for quarters soon. Are there any particular quarters that are more stressful to do an elective in than others?
There is no 'best' elective quarter - 1st and 4th quarters are popular because you either go straight on elective immediately after exams or to finish off the degree. 1st and 3rd/4th are popular as these overlap with the only 2 week breaks you get as a TI so you get 14 weeks off total as opposed to 12. No matter which quarter you are there is the 'post-elective slump' after it (and if you choose 4th you get elective envy of everyone else during the year!). 1st and 2nd quarter you need to be very organised and on top of exam study because you will be sorting this out at the same time as studying for 5th year exams. Most people simply end up choosing the same one as their mates so they are all the same quarter.

rustyedges

Otago MB ChB
Agree with quail.

If there is a particular place you want to go, you might want to time it for the time of year you want, eg Europe in Summer.