Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago MBChB Class of 2021

colourred

Otago MBChB III
Hi guys, I was wondering if there's a thread with elm 2 information, like a course overview and tips, I saw one for elm 3 but can't find any elm 2 specific information.

travellingspaceman

Hi guys, I was wondering if there's a thread with elm 2 information, like a course overview and tips, I saw one for elm 3 but can't find any elm 2 specific information.
I can probably find some time in the next week to ramble on about ELM2 but if you have anything specific you want to know about, let me know :)

Yo guys, do you get to use your own blood pressure cuffs in OSCEs? Tossing up whether to buy a single handed or a two handed blood pressure cuff :)

Blood pressure is usually one of the ELM2 OSCE stations. You get some time to practice in clinical skills tutorials (cuffs are supplied) and last year the Uni made the rooms available prior to exams to practice for short periods. I'd personally recommend getting your own one that you can practice with in your own time. OUMSA are usually involved with St John later on in the year volunteering to check blood pressure at supermarkets for Stroke Awareness Week - its a great opportunity to practice your technique. Practice practice practice!

You probs wont be able to access it until closer to the start of term :). You don't *have* to buy the NZMSA subscription to get access, thats optional.

If people want the $10 discount for O Week tickets they need to buy and pay for the subscription first, then all the member discounts will be accessible for O Week tickets and textbooks.

Aarnoman

Otago MBChB II
Does anyone know when we get access to timetable information/course information/moodle login approved?

Bluerock

Does anyone know when we get access to timetable information/course information/moodle login approved?

Generally the week you start class - you'll get a timetable for the first week during orientation. Get used to receiving your timetable late - in the last few years I often don't know what placement I am starting till the first Monday of the run!

Aarnoman

Otago MBChB II
Generally the week you start class - you'll get a timetable for the first week during orientation. Get used to receiving your timetable late - in the last few years I often don't know what placement I am starting till the first Monday of the run!
Awesome :) Kind of a follow on question, where and when is orientation? Haven't received any info on it yet, don't know if I should have this info already or if it is still to come.

Carters

Otago MBChB VI
Does that mean it will be hard to plan things ahead of time for weekends? I tend to fly home quite a bit for weekends but this relies on getting a pretty accurate timetable a bit in advance, I don't want to be buying plane tickets and then finding out I actually have something on

frootloop

Doctor
You rarely have much on Friday in the late afternoon, and I don't remember ever having weekend stuff in ELM.

The timetable isn't *that* variable, and you usually get plenty of notice if the timing of compulsory classes changes.

I wouldn't go buying plane tickets months in advance, but you should know a pretty solid version of your schedule at the start of each term

Bluerock is an ALM student, and our timetables are way more unpredictable than your ELM ones. He means that you should get used to your timetable getting less predictable as you progress, but your second and third year ones should be (relatively) stable.

Bluerock

Does that mean it will be hard to plan things ahead of time for weekends? I tend to fly home quite a bit for weekends but this relies on getting a pretty accurate timetable a bit in advance, I don't want to be buying plane tickets and then finding out I actually have something on

You rarely have much on Friday in the late afternoon, and I don't remember ever having weekend stuff in ELM.

The timetable isn't *that* variable, and you usually get plenty of notice if the timing of compulsory classes changes.

I wouldn't go buying plane tickets months in advance, but you should know a pretty solid version of your schedule at the start of each term

Bluerock is an ALM student, and our timetables are way more unpredictable than your ELM ones. He means that you should get used to your timetable getting less predictable as you progress, but your second and third year ones should be (relatively) stable.

Whoops, sorry team. Yes ELM timetables are normally stable (particularly case, clinical skills, and whatever they're calling healthcare in the community nowadays). I did get stuck with Friday 4 - 6pm tutorials in both ELM2 and ELM3, but certainly no weekend work.

frootloop

Doctor
Littmann is the one basically everyone has. Try Medisave.co.nz, or the stethoscope bulk buy organised by NZMSA

frootloop

Doctor
Classic vs. Cardio is an ongoing debate. For my first steth, I reasoned that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, and bought the classic. Second time around I caved and bought a cardio, since it should get me through the next 5-10 years.

Basically it doesn't matter - if you have the cash for a cardio that's great, if not, you won't be able to tell the difference for a few years anyway.

travellingspaceman

Littmann is the one basically everyone has. Try Medisave.co.nz, or the stethoscope bulk buy organised by NZMSA

There is no longer a NZMSA bulk buy :((Bulk Buy)

I think most people have the M̶D̶F̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶r̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶(̶?̶)̶ ̶ steths that were for sale via OUMSA (until the 31st Jan) - EDIT: they were ADC steths

Last edited:

frootloop

Doctor
Not overly surprised NZMSA doesn't bother any more - I organised and coordinated it one year and it was a nightmare.

Never heard of MDF, but if OUMSA was selling them they're probably fine. Littmann is by far the most popular brand though, so if you're um-ing and ah-ing over what to get, it's the safest bet.