Otago MBChB Class of 2022

Discussion in 'MBChB' started by frootloop, Dec 12, 2017.

1. frootloop

frootloop Otago Trainee Intern (MBChB VI) Moderator

Yeah dude we both know that muscle attachments are the 'can just look up if/when needed' for most doctors most of the time (there are a few which are actually clinically relevant, but you'll find those out later), which makes having to learn them annoying.

Ditto genetics etc. Plan your learning partially to pass exams (because that's a stupid requirement), and partially to become good at this. Obviously some of it overlaps, and obviously earlier on it's harder to know what's in that second category.

But like 95% of us seem to blunder through each year's set of exams. And you're well above average. So do try not to let that artificial pressure bother you too much, and when it does, jettison stuff like muscle attachments and genetics.

2. Pine

Pine New Member

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post, but what kinda grades did you guys have in HSFY? We've just finished our midterms and I feel like I'm already taking L's

3. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB II Gunner

Former Med Lab Scientist
    heya! This thread will answer that question for you: Otago - 2017 Otago HSFY Ranking Scores and Offers Thread

4. tomleegolf

tomleegolf 2nd year med at Otago

Student of life
    Clav likes this.
  5. Clav

Former Med Lab Scientist
    If there's anyone here who, like me, missed James Usshers immunity of meningitis lecture I see they have put up a 2017 videocast of it :)

apollos and tomleegolf like this.
  6. Clav

Former Med Lab Scientist
    hey, I get the impression a few people are having a bit of a hard time with haemostasis... probably no thanks to JF, so I thought I'd share a couple of things here:

First is this series on youtube that I used when I did med lab sci:

Second is some of the notes I've written up for haem... they're by no means perfect, nor complete.. but I think they're a bit clearer than JF's lecture slides so they may be of some value to someone here. Feel free to share them if you think they're good (and also correct any mistakes I have). They can be found here: MEGA

lastly, if anyone's really just not getting the hang of it don't hesitate to flick me a message and we could even catch up at uni and go over anything you're struggling with.

7. Alex Wu Wannabe

Alex Wu Wannabe New Member

Is there anyone using anki that wants to split the load?

Edit: nvm.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  8. academedical

academedical Otago MBChB II

Student
    Has anyone used Sketchy (specifically SketchyPharm, but if you have info on path and micro I'm all ears)? I know it's an American programme but the concept of using images to study pharm is so much more appealing than Ivan's lectures...

9. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

I have used Sketchy micro (for ALM) and found it pretty helpful. Haven't tried SketchyPharm though, but from what I've seen it covers a lot of drugs that you wont need to know about, and probably in more detail than you'd need to know.

ELM pharmacology seems to come in a flood all at once, but is really quite manageable when you know what you need to learn. For each drug that gets covered from the essential drug list, you need to know the MOA (broken down into a couple of sentences, tops), when to use, and maybe an adverse effect.

apollos and academedical like this.
  10. academedical

academedical Otago MBChB II

Student
    Did you find SketchyMicro had the right amount of content for NZ Med? I've heard they do Micro in a huge amount of detail in America.

11. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

Way more than you'd ever need for ELM. Perfect level for ALM, just using the videos for the few specific bugs they taught us.

academedical likes this.
  12. rachypooz

rachypooz New Member

Hey, can someone confirm for me if special exams are in Jan or Dec? Don't want to book any flights and have to cancel :oops: On the off chance I fail.

13. flooghost7255

flooghost7255 Otago MBChB III

IIRC, special OSCE and writtens/OSPE are on at different times, OSCE in December and writtens/OSPE in Jan maybe? But they mention it later closer to the time

But someone feel free to correct me

rachypooz likes this.
  14. Carters

Carters New Member

"Special Written assessments for ELM and ALM are generally held in the third week in January. The ELM Special OSCEs are held in Dunedin in late November/early December". This is from the assessment procedures pdf on moodle.

rachypooz likes this.
  15. Dougbak

Dougbak Otago MBChB II

Anyone know when they'll let us know whether or not we need to come in on Friday for the extra OSCEs? Cheers xox

16. AppleCupcakes

AppleCupcakes New Member

I heard its after the written on Thursday

Dougbak likes this.